The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
I answered the question, you said nobody had a problem with black or non hetero people in the show and I gave you an example.

I didn't say that at all, learn to read. I asked who wanted an all straight white cast. You've gone from "plenty of people" to two posters who've mentioned race, not sexual orientation and assumed they do.

Who here is asking for the entire cast to be white and straight? You appear to be conflating two different issues.

Perhaps we can just ask @Efour and @Stumble Bum if that's what they want?

Caporegime
I didn't say that at all, learn to read. I asked who wanted an all straight white cast. You've gone from "plenty of people" to two posters who've mentioned race, not sexual orientation and assumed they do.

Oh so being homophobic or racist is fine to you as long as they aren't both lol? You said who here, I showed you one (there is another straight after) and several were deleted. I can't work out if you're defending these people because you agree with them or just don't get it :confused:

Caporegime
Oh so being homophobic or racist is fine to you as long as they aren't both lol? You said who here, I showed you one (there is another straight after) and several were deleted. I can't work out if you're defending these people because you agree with them or just don't get it :confused:

Where have I said it's fine? You really are tying yourself in knots here aren't you?

It's really very simple. I asked you to point out posters who've asked for an all white, all straight cast. You've pointed out some posters who mentioned the race of one character and then took that to mean they must want every character to be white and straight for some reason, even though they didn't mention sexual orientation :confused:

Soldato
This going to be far worse than the Last Jedi isn't it!!

Off to a good start already :D

What rights to they actually have? Don't think they can touch the Hobbit and seen the other day they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion?

Did they just pay a billion just to use the Lord of the Rings title?

This is going to be worse than bad fan faction with randoms in cosplay.

Associate
This going to be far worse than the Last Jedi isn't it!!

Off to a good start already :D

What rights to they actually have? Don't think they can touch the Hobbit and seen the other day they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion?

Did they just pay a billion just to use the Lord of the Rings title?

This is going to be worse than bad fan faction with randoms in cosplay.

From what I understand, they have "tv" rights to Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit. This includes the appendices on the Lord of the Rings book, which is where they seem to have chosen to work from. They don't have the Silmarillion which apparently covers the age they are presenting, so they have very little to work with, which is why it's pretty much all being made up.

One of the producers wrote: “Can we come up with the novel Tolkien never wrote and do it as the mega-event series that could only happen now?”

So, not a Tolkien story, they should have saved the $250 million on the rights and just made their own.

Soldato
From what I understand, they have "tv" rights to Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit. This includes the appendices on the Lord of the Rings book, which is where they seem to have chosen to work from. They don't have the Silmarillion which apparently covers the age they are presenting, so they have very little to work with, which is why it's pretty much all being made up.

One of the producers wrote: “Can we come up with the novel Tolkien never wrote and do it as the mega-event series that could only happen now?”

So, not a Tolkien story, they should have saved the $250 million on the rights and just made their own.
Gees £250m just for a name and 750m on production hah.

Right so they have the rights to the Hobbit and LOTR but not aloud to change characters or the plot to the mains books. They can't redcon or change anything that's been written.

Associate
What are they not allowed to use from the Silmarillion because I'm sure I remember a production shot of the two trees? Is it just storylines they aren't allowed to use?

To be honest I'm not sure, searching for Silmarillion rights there were a couple of articles saying Amazon purchased them last July, but from what I've heard said recently on videos is that they don't.

This from one of the producers seems to support the fact they don't:

“We have the rights solely to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit,” Payne says. “And that is it. We do not have the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-earth, or any of those other books.”

Soldato
Obviously I've been out the loop for while. But I see Amazon hid the LOTR superfans video...

:cry:

Don't blame them it was absolutely awful. Wtf were they thinking?

I'm loving the activists trying to pass themselves off as "Tolkien scholars" - You know who is a Tolkien scholar?

Tom Shippey.

I don't think he's ever said "If Sauron's hot I wonder if could fix him!"

I am absolutely blown away by just how stupid, ill-informed, juvenile and hilarious that video was.

It's like the actual fans made a parody video.

Just listen ot those absolutely vaccuous, moronic cretins try and talk about something they have never watched and have no interest in.

And that's the woke entertainment genre summed up to a "T", content made by people with no interest in the source material for peoplewho have no interest in watching and never have either, but hey let's keep ticking those boxes guys!

;)

Last edited:
Associate
Fellowship of the Ring grossed almost $900m dollars in cinemas, do you seriously think they were all hardcore fans? (let alone hardcore fans that want a 1:1 adaptation) Both my parents and my sister all went to see every film, they won't even know about dwarf women having beards, let alone care about it.
It was referenced in the two towers in the bit where they are heading for Helms Deep with Aragorn actually pointing it out.

Caporegime
It was referenced in the two towers in the bit where they are heading for Helms Deep with Aragorn actually pointing it out.

Believe me I'm well aware (although it's played off as a joke in the film rather than a serious statement) but I still doubt the vast majority of viewers will be aware of that as an actual piece of worldbuilding given not a single female dwarf appears in either LOTR or the Hobbit.

Soldato
But I see Amazon hid the LOTR superfans video...

:cry:

Don't blame them it was absolutely awful. Wtf were they thinking?

Someone went through all the various Social Media channels of those "influencers" and found nothing Tolkien, LOTR, Hobbit etc related anywhere, no surprise there. Then after a bit more digging amongst other Unlisted YT videos they found all the different foreign language videos with influencers from different countries and virtually all had the same "talking points", similar lack of being an actual fan etc.

Amazon's PR team really seemed to have dropped the ball here but, TBH, I doubt that enough "normies" will care and will they'll still probably watch it anyway, it's only the serious fans that will be effected.

Soldato
Someone went through all the various Social Media channels of those "influencers" and found nothing Tolkien, LOTR, Hobbit etc related anywhere, no surprise there. Then after a bit more digging amongst other Unlisted YT videos they found all the different foreign language videos with influencers from different countries and virtually all had the same "talking points", similar lack of being an actual fan etc.

Amazon's PR team really seemed to have dropped the ball here but, TBH, I doubt that enough "normies" will care and will they'll still probably watch it anyway, it's only the serious fans that will be effected.

Yeah I saw that they were just there to be diverse and knew nothing about the series. Amazon is really going to town on the woke angle, I think there's a lot worse to come, this is why they have shown so little of it, because they know it looks like crap.

LOTR was such a massive hit because it was amazing ditto GOT (though of course after the source material dried up the quality fell off, but everyone was so invested by then it didn't matter), that was the biggest show on TV even though they ruined it, and maybe even the biggest TV show ever. That's 80% normies. So if Amazon's show is trash people won't watch, simple as that. It is however gauranteed a strong opening audience, all eyes will be on it. Different medium, but everyone played New World at first, it is dead now.

That influencer video said it all, they're the people they're trying to please, exactly the people who don't care and won't watch it. They want to appeal to diversity obsessed under 30's who watch make-up tutorials on YT and Ru Paul's Drag Race. They don't want "legacy fans" Disney has the same attitude with SW, the BBC exactly the same with Dr. Who.

The people who actually love the material are a nuisance to them, and older...

Soldato
Yeah I saw that they were just there to be diverse and knew nothing about the series. Amazon is really going to town on the woke angle, I think there's a lot worse to come, this is why they have shown so little of it, because they know it looks like crap.

LOTR was such a massive hit because it was amazing ditto GOT (though of course after the source material dried up the quality fell off, but everyone was so invested by then it didn't matter), that was the biggest show on TV even though they ruined it, and maybe even the biggest TV show ever. That's 80% normies. So if Amazon's show is trash people won't watch, simple as that. It is however gauranteed a strong opening audience, all eyes will be on it. Different medium, but everyone played New World at first, it is dead now.

That influencer video said it all, they're the people they're trying to please, exactly the people who don't care and won't watch it. They want to appeal to diversity obsessed under 30's who watch make-up tutorials on YT and Ru Paul's Drag Race. They don't want "legacy fans" Disney has the same attitude with SW, the BBC exactly the same with Dr. Who.

The people who actually love the material are a nuisance to them, and older...

Nail on the head with that. The people they are trying to please won't be interested anyway and the fans of the source material will shun it pretty quickly.

It's going to flop horribly. But they won't admit they got it wrong, just keep churning out similar crap.

Such is the entertainment industry today.

Soldato
Nail on the head with that. The people they are trying to please won't be interested anyway and the fans of the source material will shun it pretty quickly.

It's going to flop horribly. But they won't admit they got it wrong, just keep churning out similar crap.

Such is the entertainment industry today.

Such is the entertainment industry indeed. Products made for people who don't want them that lose money, but the real life long fans who like the source material are wrong and are the problem...:cry:

Same parallel with the European Super League in football - "We don't like the legacy fans, they're awkward, they're very vocal, they ask questions and demand a better team, they're knowledgable and passionate and show up at the ground and protest, what we want is fans consumers from the other side of the World who are buying into brand but have no real emotional attachment to the team, so the results don't matter and they will still buy any old *****"

Same with games, WOW and Blizzard is a great example "We don't want to engage with all your repetitive systems over and over again, - well you actually do, and we have the engagement metrics to prove it, - yeah but your player numbers tanking, - so how how about a free mount with a 6 month sub? - no thanks as you produce about 2 weeks worth of content every six months and it's boring ass garbage, i'm off to FFIXV"

It's farcical.

Soldato

Just in case you haven't seen this one, he's clearly never watched LOTR in his life, and has no idea about the Lore or anything else Tolkien related, but he's diverse and "effeminate" , so that's all that matters...

And people wonder why fans think it's going to be a complete disaster...

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
One youtuber spotted a guy taking a leak in the UK super fans video lol.

Seems it was the only superfan video removed due to the message.

Clowns.

Back
Top Bottom