The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Man of Honour

He said, “What Amazon is doing to Tolkien is an abomination. The people doing the work obviously don’t understand the original work. They are adding elements that are very 2022 to it that five years from now are going to appear laughable.”

One of the reasons the original movies still stand up well, the avoidance of that for most part...

Soldato
This show hit the dumpster when they fired Tom Shippey and hired some Scottish lunatic. Not even sure I want to watch once episode.

Might pick up audio books narrated by Andy which are meant to be fantastic.

Caporegime
This is looking very good. Pretty does not a great series make, but I'm quietly hopeful.

I still want to hope that I may enjoy this, LOTR is one of the best things I ever saw at the cinema and I just don't want that experience/memory to be ruined.

I'm not sure how it could ruin it? They are separate things. Hell, the Hobbit trilogy couldn't ruin it, and they were much more closely associated than this is.

Caporegime
Yeah I just pretend the Hobbit movies don't exist.

They were so rubbish, I can't remember what happens in any of them anyway, when re-watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy

Reactions: fez
Soldato
This is looking very good. Pretty does not a great series make, but I'm quietly hopeful.

I'm not sure how it could ruin it? They are separate things. Hell, the Hobbit trilogy couldn't ruin it, and they were much more closely associated than this is.

How does it look very good exactly?

It looks light years behind Jackson's aethestic, 20 years later. It's very generic IMO, those horse armours looked terrible, like they were plastic. The costumes have been poor in general, the Harfoots look like tramps, that's before we even consider the casting.

Soldato
Yeah I just pretend the Hobbit movies don't exist.

They were so rubbish, I can't remember what happens in any of them anyway, when re-watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy

The ROP will go down the same way with the fan base, when it's all over people will kick this series into the long grass and forget it ever happened. Like a bad fever dream.

Associate
Plastic horse armour !! And yes the costumes, hair and makeup all look far too clean - exactly the same as the Wheel of Time.

Man of Honour
Costume design looks bad again (what is it with amazon productions and poor costume design), cheap and far too clean.

TBH I can look past that if the story and characters are good enough - I think they've got the overall aesthetic close enough. But it isn't convincing me so far.

Back
Top Bottom