The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
I know it sounds like a lot but in this day and age with tv contracts ever going up and up - 100k/week really isn't much

If he doesn't improve we can flog him to Arsenal in two years time for £30m hahaha (and that probably wont be too far from the truth)

(and he does have a habit of getting winning goals at Wembley also which isn't a bad habit to have)

Soldato
Young, Welbeck, lingard. Same **** different name. We consistently hamstring ourselves with some ridiculous loyalty to crap. Carrick. Valencia. Jones and soon to be Fellaini. Crap that just somehow keep getting given contracts despite their utterly substandard ability for a club aiming for champions league and league titles. Just look at City and Chelsea, their supposed 2nd tier players are so much better than a lot of Jose's first choice.

We're going nowhere at this rate. The club is ran by idiots at the top with some deluded idea that we can sustain attracting talent with money alone. This bubble will burst very quickly after another season without champions league

Associate
Young, Welbeck, lingard. Same **** different name. We consistently hamstring ourselves with some ridiculous loyalty to crap. Carrick. Valencia. Jones and soon to be Fellaini. Crap that just somehow keep getting given contracts despite their utterly substandard ability for a club aiming for champions league and league titles. Just look at City and Chelsea, their supposed 2nd tier players are so much better than a lot of Jose's first choice.

We're going nowhere at this rate. The club is ran by idiots at the top with some deluded idea that we can sustain attracting talent with money alone. This bubble will burst very quickly after another season without champions league
Are you seriously saying Valencia and Carrick are crap???

I hope I said your comment wrong, otherwise you should just stop watching football

Caporegime
Ah aright then just pay everyone 500K a week, regardless of ability.

The fact is Lingard isn't very good, so he shouldn't be earning 100K a week. Setting a precedent of overpaying for average players.

Soldato
Put it this way, it's more than Herrera and Valencia.

Yes he has a habit of scoring at Wembley, shame it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Herrera only has a year left on his contract (I seem to recall), so I would suggest he is likely to get a refresh by the end of the summer as well

Compare like to like is all Im suggesting, dont compare an old contract to a brand new one (which are based on different tv deals etc etc)

Remember Rooney has generally been **** for the last two or three years and still been paid 3 times as much........

The fact is Lingard isn't very good, so he shouldn't be earning 100K a week. Setting a precedent of overpaying for average players.

Every team in the EPL especially has been doing this for years - why is Utd any different. You cant have mega stars filling up every space on the bench.

This contract also protects his value so in a couple of years time (if he continues at the same level) he will be sold off for what is likely to be 10s of millions

I would happily say goodbye to Fellaini in the summer, but looks like Jose likes him so that wont be happening

Last edited:
Associate
New contract for Lingard and apparently one coming for Carrick, such positive signs that players who perform at the highest level will be kept so we can continue to achieve so much. The biggest worry is that we know bringing in the odd superstar and surrounding him with trash works, so do we really need both? An embarrassment of riches.

Associate
Ah aright then just pay everyone 500K a week, regardless of ability.

Ok, what should he be earning? He's young, English and he works his socks of for the team, very underrated in this god awful team

Associate
Herrera only has a year left on his contract (I seem to recall), so I would suggest he is likely to get a refresh by the end of the summer as well

Compare like to like is all Im suggesting, dont compare an old contract to a brand new one (which are based on different tv deals etc etc)

Remember Rooney has generally been **** for the last two or three years and still been paid 3 times as much........

Every team in the EPL especially has been doing this for years - why is Utd any different. You cant have mega stars filling up every space on the bench.

This contract also protects his value so in a couple of years time (if he continues at the same level) he will be sold off for what is likely to be 10s of millions

I would happily say goodbye to Fellaini in the summer, but looks like Jose likes him so that wont be happening
Good post, I have no idea why people are making a big deal about lingard's wages, Rooney is a bit part substitute and he's on 3x the wage of Lingard, Fellaini is on more too, and despite a decent run form he's not United quality in the slightest.

Caporegime
Ok, what should he be earning? He's young, English and he works his socks of for the team, very underrated in this god awful team

30-40 would seem a fair amount considering his ability.

Workrate is to be commended but it shouldn't result in earning 100K a week, there needs to also be the talent to back that up.

Every other team doing it doesn't make it right, but i'd like to see some examples of bit part (non first choice), average players being given a 70K pay rise?

He's worth/could be worth 10s of millions? He's average, if he ever got sold for 10s of millions i'll show my rear.

Players like Kane and Dele Ali have signed contracts this season, Kane on 100K and Ali on 55K. Mane signed in the summer and is on 90K. Apparently Lingard is worth more a week than 2 out of those 3?

Last edited:
Associate

Workrate is to be commended but it shouldn't result in earning 100K a week, there needs to also be the talent to back that up.

Every other team doing it doesn't make it right, but i'd like to see some examples of bit part (non first choice), average players being given a 70K pay rise?

He's worth/could be worth 10s of millions? He's average, if he ever got sold for 10s of millions i'll show my rear.

Players like Kane and Dele Ali have signed contracts this season, Kane on 100K and Ali on 55K. Mane signed in the summer and is on 90K. Apparently Lingard is worth more a week than 2 out of those 3?
the wage of the player has no reflection on ability, not one bit, I agree it's a huge wage, astronomical in fact. But why is Lingards wage such a talking point? Rooney £300,000 a week? And he's a substitute that put a transfer request in! Fallaini a reported £150,000 a week waste of time. Why is a young player who is unlike anybody else in the squad, a quicker Ji Sung Park if you like, who delivers in big games, getting singled out?

Caporegime
Not one bit reflective of ability? So what are they reflective of then? Being English :confused: Why stop at 100K if talent has nothing to do with it, as I said above 500K would seem fair.

Fellaini was signed on 150K a week as part of a transfer wasn't he? A rather large transfer at that. Not even remotely comparable. If he was signed on 50K a week, played average, then tripled his wages with a contract extension then maybe he could be brought into the discussion.

Lingard isn't even that young, he's 24, it's unlikely he's going to significantly improve past his current ability. You're not paying for potential here.

He's being singled out because it's a joke.

Soldato

He was on 30-40 on the last contract, no reason at all for him to stay (and given other top EPL teams were after him ) and whether you like it or not Utd need a british core even if they are only squad players

In comparative terms Im sure the likes of Stoke give out £25k increases (Stoke's turnover is approx 1/3 of Utd's , so their wage increases are likely to be about the same also)

Because of the prestige of the club the likes of Kane and Alli dont have the same pressure during every match - exactly why Utd always pay a huge % more in every transfer than majority of other clubs because the club IS that high profile even compared to City, Arsenal , Spurs etc even if the results dont show it. Every lawyer / negotiatior in the world knows Utd have to pay 10% + on every deal - its been that way for donkeys years.

Just look at any transfer window, average players are always going for high prices especially to other EPL teams - even Welbeck went for £16m and that was before the recent TV deal (ie that deal would be worht £20m+ if it was done this window coming). Even at 26 Lingard would be a good £20-£25m deal for Southampton / Bournemouth etc in a few years time

Rooney earnt that contract whilst becoming your all time leading goalscorer....what a rediculous comparison.
No striker deserves £30m over two seasons for scoring /assisting approx 10 goals - however good he was in the past

Caporegime
Do United fans genuinely think they pay extra on transfer fees because of the prestige of the club? Nothing at all to do with the fact other clubs know they have the cash, or are at times desperate? Barcelona and Real Madrid have more prestige than Manchester United, you don't see them getting bent over paying £30 million for the likes of Fellaini, or £90 million for the likes of Pogba. Do you think either of those two clubs, or indeed any other club in the world would pay Lingard 100K a week?

I've read it all now, so because he has pressure on him the pay rise is justified. Don't know what to say really, if United fans think that's a justified salary increase then get used to mediocrity for a long, long time, because that sot of attitude is going to get the club nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom