The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Caporegime
Messi's case started a long time ago, maybe 3-4 years even. At first it was all about him then there was a loads of stuff about his father, testifying, they were trying to take the blame and insulate their meal ticket, etc.

Looked it up, case started in 2013, they paid some/all of the tax back, the court case was still ongoing, I believe it got pushed back multiple times but eventually he was convicted of 21 months last year then this year he lost an appeal against that conviction in the supreme court.

So 2013 vs 2017, the cases aren't particularly close. I think it's a case of people dig into it they then find a particular dummy corp in some random country that they realise is a Barcelona tax haven/payment scheme to players and once they find that they can start identifying which players were paid so players all get done at similar times. So I would guess that they've found something similar with Real and are finding links to players at Real now.

Soldato
Messi's case started a long time ago, maybe 3-4 years even. At first it was all about him then there was a loads of stuff about his father, testifying, they were trying to take the blame and insulate their meal ticket, etc.

Looked it up, case started in 2013, they paid some/all of the tax back, the court case was still ongoing, I believe it got pushed back multiple times but eventually he was convicted of 21 months last year then this year he lost an appeal against that conviction in the supreme court.

So 2013 vs 2017, the cases aren't particularly close. I think it's a case of people dig into it they then find a particular dummy corp in some random country that they realise is a Barcelona tax haven/payment scheme to players and once they find that they can start identifying which players were paid so players all get done at similar times. So I would guess that they've found something similar with Real and are finding links to players at Real now.

which is exactly what "tightening up a loophole" is - well done!!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't know how anyone can say that last season wasn't a success. We won the EL and league cup, were back in the CL and we played much better than we have for years. We created A LOT of chances, we just missed a lot of them. If we can sort that out we will suddenly be a force to be reckoned with. We drew far too many games last season that we should have easily won and if we sort that out, our league position will be much better.

Soldato
"particular dummy corporation in some random country" is exactly what tightening a loophole is

Barca most likely paid a significant amount of money to set it up in the first place - if this is even the case - now the tax authorities know about it they are shutting it down......or closing the loophole!!!

Soldato
"particular dummy corporation in some random country" is exactly what tightening a loophole is

Barca most likely paid a significant amount of money to set it up in the first place - if this is even the case - now the tax authorities know about it they are shutting it down......or closing the loophole!!!

Closing a loophole is something which prevents people from doing something which was previously legal (tax avoidance). Closing a loophole only makes something which was legal in the past, now illegal.

Chasing people for tax evasion implies there was no loophole to close.

It sounds like the authorities have become aware of a scheme which many footballers probably thought was a legal loophole for tax avoidance, but actually they were just evading tax illegally.

Soldato
and IF Barca was actually doing something totally illeagal both they and the players would be having major charges against them - not something relatively petty like 2 years in jail (where most in spain dont actually see inside a jail cell anyway)

Just for the record I have two direct family members who actually get paid for creating similar tax "vehicles" all aorund Europe and further aborad - so yes I do know what Im talking about whatever you want to think

Soldato
If you know what you're talking about then you're not explaining it well at all. Tax 'vehicles' are a legal way of avoiding tax. People who get found guilty of tax evasion have committed a crime.

They may have thought that they were just using a legal avoidance scheme when they signed up, but clearly the evidence suggests they weren't. The punishment may be mitigated by the fact that they were poorly advised - I really can't comment on the specifics of another countries sentencing guidelines.

But simple fact is - if this was just about closing a loophole, then that would just stop people using that 'vehicle' in future. It wouldn't lead to convictions against people who'd used it in the past.

Don
To prevent Frank from digging his way through the core of the earth (and because it's boring) I think it's best that we end this conversation now.

Soldato
What do we think about the season ahead? New signings aside, I hope Martial gets a good run, by all accounts he's been good in pre-season. Will Jose play Lukaku regardless? Even in matches where Rashford is better suited?

Hope the new signings settle in well, we seem to have quite a physical/tall spine in the team now and let's hope they gel quickly.

Highly doubt we'll win the league but you have to hope!

I'm going to try to go to more matches this season, got a ticket for the Wham match on Sunday, can't wait :D

Associate
I'd imagine he will play Lukaku up front on his own with Martial to his left and Mata/Miki to his right with Pogba and Hernandez behind. 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 variation like he did with Chelsea. I just hope Lukaku scores goals like he did last season.

Hopefully we can get a top 4 spot this year but its massively competitive

Caporegime
If Nick had his way he'd sell every new signing within one month of joining. Remember when he said De Gea was a mistake and we should have signed Stekelenburg? And we all remember the N'Zogbia incident...

Back
Top Bottom