The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Man of Honour
OP
He needs to do better for a new contract. Yes he won the Europa League but that was offset by the failure in the Premier League, he had no choice due to the fact we finished short of the top 4.

There's no way the club should be held to ransom by him at this stage, and it's a shame that's what he's doing.

However you want to spin it, at the moment he is being seriously outperformed by Pep.

Man of Honour
I actually wouldn't mind Mourinho gone, not because of the football we're playing or the results, but just because I can't stand the **** that goes with having him as manager and the constant "is he or isn't he?" when a new club is mentioned. He hasn't appeared genuinely happy once since arriving at the club, I've always found the fact he's been unwilling to buy property in Manchester troubling. He's either going to go this year to PSG or another club at the end of the 3rd year anyway.

And besides, not like he's transformed the team from what it was under LvG, sure he's added some big names but football wise, it's hardly any better

EDIT - Changed want him gone to wouldn't mind if he went, bit strong :p

Last edited:
Don
I can’t decide if I’m surprised by the timing of this Mourinho nonsense. It happens wherever Mourinho is so it was always coming but why now? Given how poor Utd were last season, they’re doing far better now - 2nd in the league, top of their cl group and through to the quarters of the league cup.

I guess it comes down to a few of factors. First off, nobody wants Mourinho as their manager - he’s always a compromise because the manager you want you can’t get and you tolerate all the baggage because he gets results so when things aren’t perfect it’s far easier to criticise him than another manager. You then have the Guardiola factor - Utd and City finished on level points the season before both took over, both have spent fortunes and while Utd are doing well, they’re not doing as well as City and more importantly City are doing it while playing far better football too. You obviously have the personal rivalry between the two which is bad enough for Mourinho but Guardiola is also *****ing on Mourinho’s justification for the way he plays - Guardiola is proving that you don’t need to choose between results and attacking football.

All of the above has come to a head because Mourinho can’t take criticism. He’s perfect and it’s always the ref, fans, media, the board or his players fault and when he starts getting criticised he’ll turn on them.

All of what’s going on is designed to let everybody know that it’s not his fault Utd aren’t top and an attempt to improve his bargaining position at Utd, while keeping the PSG door open if and when things go pear shaped. How things end up will be determined by how willing the Glazers are to tolerate him because no matter how many articles Castles puts out blaming Woodward, I can’t see the Glazers siding with Mourinho over him.

Soldato
Ultimately we need to build a club around a vision, not a manager. We can’t change everything to fit him, what happens when he has gone? Also agree with Steedie, he should at least buy something in dids or rent a place.

Man of Honour
OP
I've wanted Mourinho since SAF left, but the current Mourinho is not the same as the old one. From day one he's appeared totally miserable 99% of the time, he wasn't like that before, even though there have been various incidents.

As it stands we're on a slippery slope, if things haven't improved by the end of the January transfer window, I think he'll be going at the end of the season.

It's not so much that things are going badly, there just seems to be a terrible vibe at times. I don't want him gone yet, not at all, but there are some concerns.

Associate
Badly need pogba back, Herrera seems to have taken a step backwards. Words can't describe how poor MickeyT has been, Dortmund fans were spot on when we signed him.

Soldato
I don't want him gone yet, not at all, but there are some concerns.

Certainly agree with that without doubt.

It doesnt help that at least two of the JM transfers havent lived up to their billing at all (Mkhi and Lindelof) - Mkhi has been great in very few games over the two seasons and is practically invisible in far too many - at least BD and his other clubs got one decent season out of him , it looks like Utd may be a step too far.

Lindelof wouldnt be so much of an issue if either (or both) of Jones and Smalling werent so unreliable or injury prone but just looks like he isnt ready for this level at all. Happy to give him time but Utd desperately need a decent centre half urgently not to mention some full backs that can actually cross relatively accurately.

Like it or lump it I think we have to stick with JM - otherwise we will put the club back another year or two at the very least dropping in and out of the top 4 while churning over players who are ok-ish but are never going to be top billing and will never be able to perform consistantly for a team wanting to really challange for the top spot in all comps

Don
I've wanted Mourinho since SAF left, but the current Mourinho is not the same as the old one.
You wanted Mourinho or Mourinho was the best you thought you could get? I've said it before, Utd didn't want Mourinho because if they did they'd have had him after Taggart - you settled for Mourinho after others failed and others weren't attainable.

And he's the exact same Mourinho as he's always been. Whenever things are going well he's the loveable Mourinho but the second things aren't going well, the pressure's on or he's getting criticised, he turns into a massive ****. It was exactly the same 10 years ago.

fez

fez

Caporegime
You wanted Mourinho or Mourinho was the best you thought you could get? I've said it before, Utd didn't want Mourinho because if they did they'd have had him after Taggart - you settled for Mourinho after others failed and others weren't attainable.

I assume he wanted mourinho to replace Fergie. United didn't want Mourinho for a few reasons and naively thought that there would be an easy and smooth transition from Fergies reign which frankly was retarded. They seemed to think that a manager who would be low profile and do what the club wanted would be fine regardless of their talents. They seemed to think that the structure they had in place around the club was the main factor in Uniteds success over the years.

I think we ****** up with Moyes and then we have never been in a good position to get the manager the club really wanted. When we were getting rid of LvG the only top manager available was Mourinho. I'm happy with him as our manager for the time being but he is a miserable **** more and more it seems.

On the plus side, it seems that Pogba, Ibra and Rojo will be back in the squad this weekend which should make a huge difference to our season. I don't think we are going to get near City this year but we should be able to easily get top 4 and have a good run in the CL.

Soldato
Yet another drawn out transfer saga but if we do land Sanchez will he go on the right? The left it already fought by Rashy and Marshy, so surely Jose won't upset that?

Does Sanchy play a striker role too? How do we think Jose will use him?

Soldato
That's the biggest problem with Utd currently - we are so weak on the right of attack, ok Valencia scores the occasional goal, just about as rarely as Mata as it happens - and so majority of our attacks are concentrated in 2/3 's of the pitch making it far easier for defenders. It doesn't help that seemingly no-one can cross decently from either side so defences are rarely stretched like the other top sides do.

We may see our wide players swapping sides during matches, because I don't see the point of playing Sanchez on the right at all - I know he can play there, just like Mata can, doesn't mean its worth while though. He may play behind Lukaku, but wont that ruin Pogba's runs ? least disruption would be Martial / Rashford on the left, Sanchez behind Lukaku and Lingard / Mata on the right (but that totally ***** Lingard)

If Sanchez does go on the left it completely messes up Martial and Rashford (although Rashford has been struggling badly for 2 months +)

Man of Honour
OP
I wouldn't read too much into anything at the moment, it's likely all made up by the papers.

He's not even signed yet :p

And

And

Associate
He agreed a deal with City (worth around £250k a week) then United came in with a bigger offer at which point City walked away as they didn't want to make a bigger offer on either the transfer fee or the player's wages/agent's fee. So the wages are more than £250k for sure.

Soldato
He agreed a deal with City (worth around £250k a week) then United came in with a bigger offer at which point City walked away as they didn't want to make a bigger offer on either the transfer fee or the player's wages/agent's fee. So the wages are more than £250k for sure.
So you've seen the contract then maybe you could show us or the copy of cities offer as you're so sure city offered 250

Back
Top Bottom