The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not being funny, and De Gea has been great for us over the years, but if he didn't really want to be here, Romero could have done a good enough job at least for the moment.

Anyway, it's good he's staying and I hope his form picks up a bit.

Associate
Don't forget the dross defence he has had in front of him for most of last season, as that wont help his form at all.
Ole's new signings have been good, McGuire and Wan Bissaka are solid signings and it clearly shows with a more 'confident' defence.
That can only reflect positively in Dave's form.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I mean there is 0 reason for us not to have a director of football. Its pretty clear that Woodward has an ego to rival the likes of Neymar and Ronaldo and he seems to love the fact that he is controlling the spending at United. Hes basically playing football manager in real life, badly.

Don
What do you mean by controlling the spending because literally speaking, controlling the spending is his job. He's the man running the football club and part of that job involves deciding how much money is available to be spent on the squad both in terms of total amount spent and more specific constraints regarding spending on players over a certain age etc. This is the same scenario at pretty much every football club and nothing new either.

The issue at Utd isn't control of transfers - there's been no control in reality. Managers have been able to sign pretty much who they like and you've ****ed money up the wall, spending huge fees on everybody and anybody, no matter their age or ability. It's that lack of control and no overall plan for the vision of the football club and how they're going to approach transfer windows that's the issue. Right from Moyes' summer transfer window, when you signed Fellaini for more than his buyout clause because you were ****ing about chasing your tail all summer, deals for Di Maria & Falcao, the opportunistic Sanchez deal, to this summers last minute scramble for Dybala & Mandzukic, there's no plan and you're just reacting to what's going on around you.

A director of football would undoubtedly help bridge the gap between the manager, scouting department and Woodward but it's not going to magically solve Utd's problems. They first need a plan and get the right DoF for that plan, have everybody at the club working towards that plan and actually sticking to it, rather than ripping things up and starting again every 5 minutes.

Associate
@BaZ87 I definitely agree with you there about a DOF. They need to settle on a plan on how they want to play and work, and then work on from there. There I must say that at least City and Liverpool are miles ahead of United at present. Scouting needs to improve as well.
I feel they have chased too many big name players for the sake of it instead of what the players actually would bring to the game/club.

I also wish there would be more performance related section of the wages instead of this crazy stupidly high 200-300K wages a week as I think that could also improve the effort some players put in (in all teams)

Permabanned
Indeed the director of football after Fergie even if it was Fergie would have saved a good £400m. He picks the formation does he not? The style the tempo he knows the kind of players who fit the style as well. So young attacking players who are also fitting the United way like hardwork and being down to earth.

He would never of hired Mourinho because Mourinho would not of played with young attacking players and he would never of given Sanchez, Lukaku, Fred, Zlatan, Falcao etc contracts. They do not fit the clubs image and vision long term they were bought out of desperation to please the manager at that time.

The catch here is you HAVE to back a manager so they spend big, If it fails it costs a fortune not only to sell the players but again repeating the process. With the director the manager is basically the trainer and motivator. I would probably say to him work within the confines of these two formations and use the players we have and go get results otherwise you find another manager.

Easy stuff because the director never spent a fortune on expensive toys like Lukaku, Instead the only person leaving would be the manager and he probably only gets a rolling three year deal anyways. Look at Real and Barca they can lose a manager and still never really rock the boat compared to United being the sinking ship when they change a manager. But Barcelona have a clear ethos as well mind you.

Soldato
Either this is Manchester United papering cracks, or the board & Woodward really don't believe the issues are as bad as they are.

How can you say that non-football personnel aren't making football related decisions? Flip that on its head and they're saying that those decisions are being made by those who have knowledge of the game and if that is true, then those people clearly don't have as much knowledge as they think they have.

Man of Honour
OP
Either this is Manchester United papering cracks, or the board & Woodward really don't believe the issues are as bad as they are.

How can you say that non-football personnel aren't making football related decisions? Flip that on its head and they're saying that those decisions are being made by those who have knowledge of the game and if that is true, then those people clearly don't have as much knowledge as they think they have.

Woodward must think everyone is daft. He seems more worried about people's perception of him than running the club properly.

£850m spent on transfers in 6 years, the biggest annual wage bill in the league, and we're a sinking ship. Yeah, they're doing great.

Caporegime
Woodward must think everyone is daft. He seems more worried about people's perception of him than running the club properly.

£850m spent on transfers in 6 years, the biggest annual wage bill in the league, and we're a sinking ship. Yeah, they're doing great.

Surely the wage bill has been dramatically decreased over the summer though?

Don
Surely the wage bill has been dramatically decreased over the summer though?
I doubt it's come down dramatically, not when you factor in De Gea's new deal. That, Maguire and Wan Bissaka (and James) will make up for the majority of money saved on Lukaku, Herrera, Darmian and whatever you're not paying towards Smalling and Sanchez's loans. Any real saving in wages will be down to clauses in contracts linked to CL qualification.

Associate
I wonder if the rumoured demo on 58 minutes will have any affect?
How many people take part will depend on the score at that time - if we are 2-0 down then it could have legs.
If we are winning, not many will leave their seats.

I think choosing the biggest game of the season to try it, is a mistake personally, as passions will be running very high.
Not sure if I can leave my seat if we are winning tbh.

Back
Top Bottom