The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
So what’s the deal with Lingard, are you guys keeping him now?
I hope not. He's too good to not play but not good enough to play for United. Best for all if he moves on. Got to be worth £20m or so.
He's been pants tonight. Shown exactly why he's not good enough.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
LOL no he wouldnt. Hes 28 and turns 29 this coming season. That isnt young.

27 goals in 149 games of which 9 of those goals were playing for West Ham. Hes scored 18 premier league goals for united...

I assume he is referring to the running joke that Jesse Lingard looks about 12 so no matter how old he is he will always be "an exciting young prospect".

If we could get £20-25m for him that would be a cracking bit of business for us and a smaller side who gets him. He was great for west ham last season. Not sure why they aren't in for him.

Soldato
I assume he is referring to the running joke that Jesse Lingard looks about 12 so no matter how old he is he will always be "an exciting young prospect".

If we could get £20-25m for him that would be a cracking bit of business for us and a smaller side who gets him. He was great for west ham last season. Not sure why they aren't in for him.

20m mil would be excellent business for United and i assume they want him for next to nothing as isnt his contract up next season?

Associate

It's not so much how he looks but how he acts. Messes around on social media like a teenager even in his mid to late twenties when you want professionalism and leadership at that age. Not unlike a certain Frenchman who won't sign a new deal.

I like Jessie, local lad through the academy, but he stunk the place out the last full season here and if we can get decent money for him it'll be time for him to go, a swap deal with Rice at West Ham would be nice but can't see that happening.

Soldato
The way the market is this summer - £20m would be a decent deal all around imo - probably worth more than that.....the only thing that concerns me is who plays when Bruno needs a rest (which is one of the main factors that killed the end of last season). We still only have one decent right winger and one potential (as Pellistri is likely to go on loan again).

Agree totally that Jesse playing regularly is a completely different player to the one thats ready and waiting on the bench when required - he definitely needs regular game time that Utd wont be able to give him (at least not until wayyyyy into the season with multiple comps on the go at once).

I have to admit I never thought THAT social media clip that he got absolutely blasted for deserved the backlash he got but hey ho (from a brief google it looks like his clothing line isnt doing too well either)

Soldato
Interesting interview with Donny van de Beek on Rio Ferdinand's Youtube channel - Vibe with Five.
The agent is creating wherever he can but I have some sympathy. It's really odd what's happened with that signing. He's had only a few chances and never looked like he could take them. OGS clearly doesn't trust him which says a lot when he's up against McFred who aren't exactly world beaters. Apparently Solskjaer says he still sees him as a big part of the squad. Seems like a nice lad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hg5SUZCNQ&t=1184s

Caporegime
Rumour is VDB was not an Ole signing, could be some truth in it given he has hardly given him a chance.
On the odd chances he has been given.....he hasn't taken them though has he?

Nope, it's been confirmed several times that Ole has final veto on all transfers. He's not playing because he's backup to one of the best players in the league that is never injured.

Don
I think at this point you've got to question whether the real reason he's not playing is because Ole thinks he's a bit ****. Yes, he won't play regularly because of Fernandes but he's not been getting a look in. Take the Europa League final as an example, even with 5 subs, Utd chasing a winner vs a much inferior side and not having an abundance of attacking players to pick from, he still didn't get on the pitch.

fez

fez

Caporegime
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58480332

What is it with Utd and giving players new deals who they’re trying to get off the books. Insane.

Its a weird one isn't it. We wouldn't have got much for Jesse this summer but £15m ish would have been achievable. As it stands we will pay him another £5m or so in wages and then let him leave on a free in the summer. Signing him onto a longer contract wouldn't have increased his value much either.

Soldato
Its a weird one isn't it. We wouldn't have got much for Jesse this summer but £15m ish would have been achievable. As it stands we will pay him another £5m or so in wages and then let him leave on a free in the summer. Signing him onto a longer contract wouldn't have increased his value much either.
I don't think it's weird. it's commercial. He's turned down a move and presumably c£20m fee for the club when realistically he is surplus to requirements. That is unlikely to change next year so why let him leave for free. I've heard its personal reasons that made him stay in Manchester but really he should have moved on.

Soldato
To get him off the wage bill? Transfers fees aren’t the issue it’s the wages.

Signing him to a new deal/extension just means the club is committing more money to him to have him sit twiddling his fingers. He’s already said he won’t move, turned down WH and now he’s worried about game time.

If he does sign the assist them becomes greater to the club, which the club can’t actually sell for a reduced price (ie the current price/value) let alone the increased price. There’s also the wages issue that no other club can afford his wages (the clubs that would want him).

The deal just makes no sense at all. Unless they plan on loaning him out again and paying and continuing to pay a high % of his wages again and it’s unlikely that he’s has the same colourful patch that he did at WH last season. In the hope that WH (or others) commit to it.

Or they increase the book value of the player and get a trade + cash for Rice?

Soldato
Finding Keano
Given the recent performances and the clamour for a CDM during the transfer window. It got me thinking that really United haven't really had a world class midfielder since Roy Keane who played his last match 16 years ago. I loved Keane. He was the epitome of that great side and arguably the heartbeat of the team. Since then we've tried dozens of combinations with mixed success and muddled through. People rave about Carrick but I never warmed to him completely. He never quite had it in the real top matches and I believe he was fundamental to the the loss vs Barcelona in the 2011 CL Final. HAving said that there isn't really anyone that has rivalled him since then. We've tried so many players in that role without seeming to hit on the right formula.

Think of the players we've tried
Anderson, Fletcher, O'Shea, Giggs, Kleberson, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Matic, Fred, Fellaini, Hargreaves, Herrera, Pogba, Nick Powell, Liam Miller, van der Beek, McTominay.

Why is it so hard to find a player to play that DCM role?
Last season we saw predominance of McFred since the humbling defeat to Tottenham but whilst it brought some solidity and positional discipline its just not progressive. Opposing teams know how to play against it. Pogba can't be trusted in that role because he doesn't do the work and lacks the discipline, plus it neuters his creativity. Matic is laborious, positionally quite good, a better passer but desperately one sided and not mobile enough. Is the problem coaching and set up? Or are they just not good enough. I'm at a loss and the signing of Ronaldo is not papering over the Keano sized chasm

Soldato
Do not fret, Lingard, our promising, young up and coming player is a part of Ole’s plans and he insists he won’t be letting him leave according to the news today…
Ole going from strength to strength.

Back
Top Bottom