The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Consigliere
Robbo - In defence of Phil Jones, for him to go through mental hell for ages and then to suddenly start a game with all eyes/media on him and to deliver a v good performance (anyone could have headed the ball away like he did), I think he deserves more time especially considering the other CB options.

Man of Honour
OP
Robbo - In defence of Phil Jones, for him to go through mental hell for ages and then to suddenly start a game with all eyes/media on him and to deliver a v good performance (anyone could have headed the ball away like he did), I think he deserves more time especially considering the other CB options.

I understand all of that. However, let's be honest, he was never particularly good, and regularly injured. Nothing really to do with his performance vs Wolves, which wasn't bad.

The fact he's comparable to the other centre backs says far more about them. :(

Caporegime
I understand all of that. However, let's be honest, he was never particularly good, and regularly injured. Nothing really to do with his performance vs Wolves, which wasn't bad.

Remember the CB pairing of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling conceded only 28 goals in the 17/18 season and 29 the season before that. We have let 36, 44 since the introduction of Maguire and 27 already this season!

Consigliere

Tbh I had forgotten what he was like before. :o

Sureeeeeely he would have improved under all these coaches. Who knows. We shall soon see!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Jones is decent enough. Better than Smalling probably but hes not amazing and his style of defending injures him so damn often that its pointless having him in the squad.

Hes quite similar to Bailly.

fez

fez

Caporegime
No idea why we let Smalling go. Was definitely no worse than Maguire and probably quicker

tuanzebe deserved a shout too

Because we didn't trust him and we thought we had bought better and bought his replacement. Smalling is still a massively average defender. The Italian league suits him better but hes still making the same mistakes over there that he made here.

Soldato
Tuanzebe did look good but has he even got game time at Villa this season? In fact just checking up on him he has been loaned out to Napoli!
Yeah apparently because Gerrard arrived.

he did well when they got promoted though when JT was a coach there. Shame his progress has been squandered. No better place than Italy to learn defending though

also I’d like to see Telles given some game time again because he’s definitely the best crosser when it comes to full backs

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ahh the rumours that Rangnick isn't happy with the board have finally started.

They are suggesting that he is unhappy they aren't letting him bring anyone in this January and that he is worried about how much good he will actually be able to do at the club long term in the current structure. Well blow me down. United in looking like they might modernise and become a football club again but not following through shocker.

Soldato
Ahh the rumours that Rangnick isn't happy with the board have finally started.

They are suggesting that he is unhappy they aren't letting him bring anyone in this January and that he is worried about how much good he will actually be able to do at the club long term in the current structure. Well blow me down. United in looking like they might modernise and become a football club again but not following through shocker.
I read that as them not wanting to spend money until the permanent manager comes in, which from some perspectives could be seen as understandable I guess.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I read that as them not wanting to spend money until the permanent manager comes in, which from some perspectives could be seen as understandable I guess.

The trouble with that thinking is that we are sending RR upstairs at the end of the season in theory to oversee the football side of the club and make sure that we have a long term plan and strategy but we don't trust him enough to spend £50m or so on a player that fits into that future.

The other problem is that without another CM/DM we ain't getting CL football which could cost us more than £50m in lost revenue/sponsorship.

We also don't have enough proper CMs anyway come the end of the season. Matic should be let go, Mata should be gone, Pogba will be gone. At the moment pretty much any decent CM will improve us and dear god do we need some fresh blood in there.

Soldato
The trouble with that thinking is that we are sending RR upstairs at the end of the season in theory to oversee the football side of the club and make sure that we have a long term plan and strategy but we don't trust him enough to spend £50m or so on a player that fits into that future.

The other problem is that without another CM/DM we ain't getting CL football which could cost us more than £50m in lost revenue/sponsorship.

We also don't have enough proper CMs anyway come the end of the season. Matic should be let go, Mata should be gone, Pogba will be gone. At the moment pretty much any decent CM will improve us and dear god do we need some fresh blood in there.
Who knows, I just want them to make sure they get the right players in and not rush it. Though, it would be better now whilst we still have CL football, as based on how things are right now, I can’t see us having CL next season. With that thought actually, perhaps their initial trust in Ralf has waned based on the performances so far and there’s a reluctance as a result?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Who knows, I just want them to make sure they get the right players in and not rush it. Though, it would be better now whilst we still have CL football, as based on how things are right now, I can’t see us having CL next season. With that thought actually, perhaps their initial trust in Ralf has waned based on the performances so far and there’s a reluctance as a result?

Unless there is a massive change we won't be even in the EL come the end of the season. Honestly, if these players pulled their fingers out and worked for their manager I would say that we would easily be getting top 4 come the end of the season. But then if they were doing that, Ole would still be a job and we would be talking about the same core issues in 5 years time.

Caporegime
The truth is that results weren't much worse if any (looking at last season) than these results from Rangnick.

The reason Ole suffered was a refusal to make game changing proactive subs in good time to either win back control of the game or solidify and push on to win the game.

I would expect Rangnick's resignation pretty soon.

Surely he can't go on limping from one bad result/performance to the next with what is basically a top 1-3 side in terms of cost and wages.

Its blatantly obvious now that he is out of his depth too and has not one of the following:

Results/Performances/the dressing room

Of which you at least need 2 out of 3 plus luck to be successful.

Back
Top Bottom