The National Rifle Association of the United Kingdom

Caporegime
OP
Marlin underlever?
Turns out it's just a scoped Ruger today. 25/50 yards + moving targets for the morning and we've got more under pressure/time challenges for the afternoon. I still don't care for the Ruger's latch mechanism but a good day's shooting so far.

Soldato
Turns out it's just a scoped Ruger today. 25/50 yards + moving targets for the morning and we've got more under pressure/time challenges for the afternoon. I still don't care for the Ruger's latch mechanism but a good day's shooting so far.

Ruger make great guns, I have a Ruger bolt action rifle.

But some of them are awkward to operate, the 10/22's have this retarded metal peice just behind the magazine for the bolt lock and magazine release, most people modify them. But it's a daft design no idea why they are like that.

Caporegime
OP
Ruger make great guns, I have a Ruger bolt action rifle.

But some of them are awkward to operate, the 10/22's have this retarded metal peice just behind the magazine for the bolt lock and magazine release, most people modify them. But it's a daft design no idea why they are like that.
Yeah that's the one. With practice I'll get better but my finger shape really doesn't play well with the latch, and one of the rifles today has a slightly dodgy latch anyway. Joining a club/club days next on the agenda :).

Edit - disruptive pattern targets certainly add a twist.

Last edited:
Associate
They got straight pull conversions so are ok under on section 1. But regardless I reckon you'd struggle to get .30 carbine ammo, or the heads and dies if you wanted to make it yourself.

The UK section 1 M1 are manufactured as strightpull as a can’t take a section 5 firearm and stop it being section 5. So they have to be made as new with no potential of ever becoming semi auto or being semi auto in the last.

In normal time 30-06 is easy to fine and easy to load for. However the components and ammo market has gone nuts in the last too years so it’s hard to find anything in sensible quantity.

Soldato
The UK section 1 M1 are manufactured as strightpull as a can’t take a section 5 firearm and stop it being section 5. So they have to be made as new with no potential of ever becoming semi auto or being semi auto in the last.

In normal time 30-06 is easy to fine and easy to load for. However the components and ammo market has gone nuts in the last too years so it’s hard to find anything in sensible quantity.

Yea it's taken me about 3 weeks to get hold of all the bits to reload .44 mag and you would have thought that would be common as muck.

I got that Chiappa in the end, taking it out this evening, so see if it works.

Sure it'll be completely reliable, just look at Italian cars........right?

Soldato
Well.......

It shot relatively straight, need a bit more tweaking on the sight, plus there is 100-150 round break in, plus I wasn't particularly concentrating on aiming as well as I could.

But happy with the accuracy.

I was getting quite a bit of malfunctions though, couple per 10 rnd mag, although I did get through a few. Always at the start of the magazine, first 3 rnds particularly, last 20 rounds I shot, I only loaded 5 into each magazine at a time and got no failures at all.

3 types of ammo as well all same results.

Pretty sure it's the magazines.

Going to have a good look in them tomorrow, several people on YouTube say you need to look out for moulding or flash marks which you need to file a bit.

Overall though pleased enough, fun to shoot and looks cool.

I have a bolt action ruger chambered for .44 mag, that I've got the dies for now so hopefully take that out in a few weeks once I've made some ammunition for it.

Soldato
IMG-20220510-154725.jpg

Hickok style "jar of handloads".

Took me about an hour and a half to make those (75) sure I will get quicker.

Caporegime
OP
Oooo yeah - we both passed and now have our cards :cool:.

I'm going to join a local club and do a club day at Bisley, similar to a module for £34 and you should get 30-40 shots. We're also booking a guest day in August to take our partners/friends, plus a day just to ourselves with a Savage 308.

Certainly not something I thought I would be doing if you asked me a year ago but really enjoyed it so far.

Associate
Finally got to take my Ruger Precision (6.5 Creedmore) to proper ranges at Bisley. 300 yards was a joke as I could decided where in the V i wanted it. 1000 yards was also easy. All ranges were almost bang on the ballistic calculator elevations and I was in the bull within 2 shots.

I was surprised how accurate it was with factory ammo.

Was bent over the table buying powder at £90+ a kg but that the market rate unfortunately.

Although I did burn over 160 rounds at between £1.20 and £1.90 a trigger pull so I can’t complain about the cost of reloading.

This is the rifle although mine is a gen 2

RPR 6.5 Creedmore
Vortex PST gen 2

Soldato
Random question, what’s a “class 1 firearm” in the UK? I saw it referred to by the Police but my weak Google skills mean I can’t find that term anywhere else (like a relevant law).

Soldato
Random question, what’s a “class 1 firearm” in the UK? I saw it referred to by the Police but my weak Google skills mean I can’t find that term anywhere else (like a relevant law).

Just means "most" firearms you need a licence for.

I can get section 1 firearms.

So for example, you can have pretty much any calibre as long as it's not self loading, you can have a semi auto in .22 calibre, you can have handguns that follow the same rules but must be a minimum length.

It goes on from there, I'm not sure how it applies to black powder pistols, but you can have a regular "short" pistol in black powder etc.

There are special other licences which are for certain firearms that you can't get under section 1, which would be illegal even for someone who has a regular firearms license.

But these would usually only be issued in really specific circumstances for example to military or police etc

Man of Honour
Finally got to take my Ruger Precision (6.5 Creedmore) to proper ranges at Bisley. 300 yards was a joke as I could decided where in the V i wanted it. 1000 yards was also easy. All ranges were almost bang on the ballistic calculator elevations and I was in the bull within 2 shots.

I was surprised how accurate it was with factory ammo.

Was bent over the table buying powder at £90+ a kg but that the market rate unfortunately.

Although I did burn over 160 rounds at between £1.20 and £1.90 a trigger pull so I can’t complain about the cost of reloading.

This is the rifle although mine is a gen 2

RPR 6.5 Creedmore
Vortex PST gen 2

Have to say that is a nice looking gun. Sadly no decent rifle ranges in reasonable distance of me any more, they've all gone clays only. Something satisfying at plinking at 1000 yard targets with a piece like that.

Commissario
@BUDFORCE has explained it but you might find that if you google for ‘section 1’ you actually find some results rather than searching for class 1.

I have fired many military weapons in my time. The most fun was the GPMG or the SLR. started off with .22 then 303 then 7.62. The best weapon I fired was a 105mm Howziter with the RA. I'm a marksman with the Bren gun and Lee Enfield 303. I have not fired a weapon in 30 years or more now. Last was the SA80. It jammed a lot.

Soldato
(<<< see location). Considered and been looking at Ruger SR22 pistols to learn shooting. The general unreliability of .22 ammo is irritating though, as nice as that pistol is.

When all the violence was kicking off with BLM, and it was looking like maybe we might have got riots coming from near me, I was looking at a 9mm for the house. Eventually decided against it.

Back
Top Bottom