The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
I'm due to complete this Thursday and I'm getting very excited :p :D

I have already booked Friday off work to get stuck into the decorating etc.

Could it be any time on Thursday that I get the OK to go pick up the keys? I've told work I'm going to come into the office that day but I plan on leaving when I get the nod from the EA to pick up the keys - I hope it's earlier rather than later...
I think it depends how far up the chain you are (if you’re in a chain) and how many other cases your solicitor has to deal with that day.

For instance; we completed on our sale at about 11.30am, then our purchase got underway and that completed just after 1pm. So we were homeless for about 1.5 hours. :p

Soldato
We've expanded our search to a few different areas now and seen a couple that we like, one we're viewing tonight.

After dropping out of our last purchase after all the hassle, we noticed the vendors had relisted at the same asking price, clearly shows they're not interested in a quick sale. Then when we looked the other day, they've finally come down 5k. It's now been on the market for almost a year, so i think they'll still struggle to sell at that price.

Soldato
Excellent, i know you've waited a long time for this moment. It'll all be worth it :D

Yeah could be anytime. I think we got the keys for ours around 2pm.

@Irish_Tom We felt the same, took 3 days of cleaning to get it to a decent standard. Luckily we had relatives willing to help out.

I think it depends how far up the chain you are (if you’re in a chain) and how many other cases your solicitor has to deal with that day.

For instance; we completed on our sale at about 11.30am, then our purchase got underway and that completed just after 1pm. So we were homeless for about 1.5 hours. :p

Cool thanks :D

Soldato
Ooo I have another question...

So obviously I need to sort out water and electricity (no gas to my property unfortunately) - I know what companies do what, so should I be calling them up now before I get the keys to tell them I'm taking over the property? Or do I wait until I get in there? Or should I be maybe getting quotes from other suppliers?

Associate
so haven't posted here in a long time after our initial sale from December 2017 fell through in April/May time, we re marketed the house and sold again in June to first time buyers and we still got the house we had initially wanted (https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68371877.html) so now it seems we are only a week or two away from exchange a solid date hasn't been given yet but its most likely gonna be the 6th or 13th of august hopefully, its been a very stressful 8 months since our initial sale and will just be glad once its all over and we move into the new house.

i've just been told by my letting agent it's 2 months not 1 we need to give notice to leave our current property. our solicitor told us today about 6 weeks until completion for the given situation.

now what do i do. already from today i will be renting and owning if the sale goes through smoothly, possibly sooner i've been told due to the situation of the sale.

i can't be homeless if this falls through as we've got pets and a couple living with us that would move from one house to the other.

i can't really be paying 2 months of rent on top of mortgage, so when should i risk it and give notice? difficult situation

Soldato
Ooo I have another question...

So obviously I need to sort out water and electricity (no gas to my property unfortunately) - I know what companies do what, so should I be calling them up now before I get the keys to tell them I'm taking over the property? Or do I wait until I get in there? Or should I be maybe getting quotes from other suppliers?

I'd wait until you get in, take meter readings of everything (inc. Water) as soon as you can after you get the keys. I'd also take these as pictures so you have some proof of what they were when you arrived.

Then start looking at new suppliers. You'll probably need to tell the current ones who you are so they can bill you for any forward usage you consume from the date you get the keys.

You don't really want to call them and then have everything fall through at the last minute.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd wait until you get in, take meter readings of everything (inc. Water) as soon as you can after you get the keys. I'd also take these as pictures so you have some proof of what they were when you arrived.

Then start looking at new suppliers. You'll probably need to tell the current ones who you are so they can bill you for any forward usage you consume from the date you get the keys.

You don't really want to call them and then have everything fall through at the last minute.

Sweet thanks :) Yeah I've been told by my solicitor and the EA that I need to take meter readings when I get the keys. So I'll do that, and then I'll see about getting some quotes for water/electric :)

Raz

Raz

Soldato
We were expecting to exchange two weeks ago, but our buyer's solicitor has been delaying things, not responding to calls or emails, randomly asking for things already provided.

Frustrating!

Soldato
Bah. It's all slowed to a crawl on my purchase.

Everything is in place from our side to exchange, however there are a 4-5 enquires remaining that the sellers solicitor needs to properly answer.

Question - I was asked to sign the mortgage deed, in the same letter I was asked to provide the buildings insurance policy. This is a bit weird as I don't yet have an exchange date so I can't apply for the insurance, unless I guess a future date and change it when I know it. Is this normal practice? I have asked my solicitor what to do regarding this also...

Soldato
Bit of a strange question but when looking at a property, 1st or 2nd viewing, is it common to check all the taps and bath/shower to make sure they have good enough hot water and pressure?

Soldato
Bit of a strange question but when looking at a property, 1st or 2nd viewing, is it common to check all the taps and bath/shower to make sure they have good enough hot water and pressure?

Completely - last thing you want if you're buying a house is to not have tested the 'small' things like this, get into a shower in your new house for it to be a trickly stream is the worst.

Associate

May be not first viewing as much but don't feel awkward in doing so. After all, they are trying to sell the house so won't mind if it pushes through a sale!
If you're getting a full structural survey then that should cover it any how.

Soldato
One of the first things I do. Not only to test water pressure but to test the pipes too. House I live in currently has awful plumbing. Makes a hell of a racket if you put the cold water tap on and close it quickly. If you close it slowly then it doesn't make a noise. So, after many sleepless nights because of rubbish plumbing and many a rubbish shower, it is imperative to test these things. Who cares what anyone thinks. If I am dropping £200k+ on anything I am going to test it however I please.

Soldato

I didn't on my first viewing - But when I got a second viewing, I was confident that I wanted the place, so I did things such as; tested all the windows, tested the water pressure on all taps, tested for leaks on the faucets etc., tested all lights, tested all doors swung and closed properly, took photos of the water tanks and fuse board. Probably a little overboard, but I wanted to check them myself.

Back
Top Bottom