The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Completing on Friday. Very excited, nervous, anxious, everything at once! Paid all outstanding money to our solicitors this morning. Now we wait. Eeeek :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
I exchanged today and complete on Friday.
It's been a nightmare the person I'm buying from said there he was buying a no chain. Months later and the day before exchange or turns out he won't move our like he said he would and now how now his no chain isn't a no chain there are multiple Houses above him that know one new about.

It's been the most stressful day a i have every had. I made him move our but offered some garage space to store his stuff while he storeys or the mess he has created on his own.

This is why moving house is a complete ******* nightmare. We have had friends who are super smug about having a house with no chain on the buyers end and then a few weeks later a huge chain has suddenly materialised from nowhere. I wouldn't trust anyone who says they don't have a chain and basically expect the worst when it comes to delays.

When we bought our flat we were a week away from the completion date and the seller says "sorry guys, I thought I had to repay a £25k loan but I don't so I can actually afford a house now". Unsurprisingly we had given notice on our rental flat and had to be out of there on the agreed date. Luckily he agreed to move out and we "rented" it for about 4 months until he sorted himself out. We would have walked away if it was easy to do so and if we hadn't got a really good deal on the flat but its taught me not to trust people as far as you can throw them when it comes to moving house. Just remember that pretty much everyone would see you homeless if it meant they got more money for their house or it got them the house they want.

Soldato
When we bought our flat we were a week away from the completion date and the seller says "sorry guys, I thought I had to repay a £25k loan but I don't so I can actually afford a house now".

Pretty much exactly what's happened to one of my mates. Were buying it from a couple who had split up. A week before exchange and yesterday they got a call to say the woman has decided she can afford to stay in the house now so sale cancelled.

It's shocking how this behavior is acceptable in this country.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty much exactly what's happened to one of my mates. Were buying it from a couple who had split up. A week before exchange and yesterday they got a call to say the woman has decided she can afford to stay in the house now so sale cancelled.

It's shocking how this behavior is acceptable in this country.

Its astounding how much money you can sink into a property you don't end up owning. As far as I know there is 0 reason that someone can't pull out of a sale up until the legal paperwork is signed. I think Scotland has some more sensible rules about buying and selling homes.

Soldato
Unsurprisingly we had given notice on our rental flat
Which you shouldn't have done until contracts were exchanged, but people still give notice, book removals, book carpet fitters and workmen on a property they aren't legally bound to buy despite being advised they shouldn't.

I had someone book contractors to come in and replace the roof, starting work on X date that she'd plucked out of thin air thinking it would have completed by then. Then when it wasn't she had to cancel and they couldn't fit her in for 3 months :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I am completely with you in that the current system is **** and needs a total overhaul, but unfortunately until that happens people need to take precautions. On the first place I tried to buy I was most of the way through the process, had paid for searches & survey and the seller changed their mind and put it back on the market at a higher price...

Soldato
So mortgage application was processed and we've been granted the full amount!

Only requirement was to pay off a credit card which we did just before submitting the application anyway!

Building Survey booked in so hopefully nothing too bad with the house. It's a 70's build so should be OK.

It's actually happening! :eek:

Caporegime
We have completed! Yaaaaaay! Collecting the keys tomorrow when we move from Hemel to Wakefield. Exciting times ;)

https://www.holroydmiller.co.uk/assets/9758.pdf

Nice, but please sort out that ridiculous tv placement in the lounge!

Also, we now all know where you will be living :p

But on a similar note, here is what we are waiting on exchange of contracts for (just a different plot number):

https://www.dwh.co.uk/new-homes/greater-london/H620501-Cane-Hill-Park/plot-40

fez

fez

Caporegime
Which you shouldn't have done until contracts were exchanged, but people still give notice, book removals, book carpet fitters and workmen on a property they aren't legally bound to buy despite being advised they shouldn't.

I had someone book contractors to come in and replace the roof, starting work on X date that she'd plucked out of thin air thinking it would have completed by then. Then when it wasn't she had to cancel and they couldn't fit her in for 3 months :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I am completely with you in that the current system is **** and needs a total overhaul, but unfortunately until that happens people need to take precautions. On the first place I tried to buy I was most of the way through the process, had paid for searches & survey and the seller changed their mind and put it back on the market at a higher price...

They can pull out until the money changes hands effectively so handover day. Most of us can't afford to be paying a mortgage and rent on a property. Once you agree a completion date and its a week before hand there has to be a certain amount of trust involved. I wouldn't book anything beyond internet to be installed in a new place until we were in but at some point you have to plan for the move to happen.

Frankly there should be laws like there are in Scotland that protect both parties from unscrupulous people on both sides of the sale.

Soldato
Associate
If only there was a thread somewhere about moving house where everyone can put there queries, questions and experiences........:confused::confused::confused:

Soldato
This is why moving house is a complete ******* nightmare. We have had friends who are super smug about having a house with no chain on the buyers end and then a few weeks later a huge chain has suddenly materialised from nowhere. I wouldn't trust anyone who says they don't have a chain and basically expect the worst when it comes to delays.

When we bought our flat we were a week away from the completion date and the seller says "sorry guys, I thought I had to repay a £25k loan but I don't so I can actually afford a house now". Unsurprisingly we had given notice on our rental flat and had to be out of there on the agreed date. Luckily he agreed to move out and we "rented" it for about 4 months until he sorted himself out. We would have walked away if it was easy to do so and if we hadn't got a really good deal on the flat but its taught me not to trust people as far as you can throw them when it comes to moving house. Just remember that pretty much everyone would see you homeless if it meant they got more money for their house or it got them the house they want.

I've been moved in a week to the day. On moving day the idiot hadn't organised a van hire or removal company. All his stuff was on the lawn and driveway when we arrived. All in boxed. We had to take 6 trips up the dump to get rid of his stuff. A truly terrible day

Soldato
I agree that it's best to use a local solicitor with an actual office that you can walk into if you need to see them/drop paper work off etc. Not some call centre other end of the country with a PO Box where it can take days before someone with authority actually gets hold of your paperwork.

Also surveys can be a moot point. Some of them all they do is look at what is visible, they won't look under carpets or behind furniture etc. A relative had a cheap survey that said everything was fine but when they actually moved in they found uncovered problems.

Also if the property is new/newish it might not be necessary to have a survey done. A friend bought a property that was 3 years old and didn't bother as didn't see the point on a property of that age. Also the buyer of his old property didn't bother with a survey even though the property was 13 years old.

Soldato
Caporegime
I looked around that development but Coulsdon itself and the local traffic put me off.

Was a year or two ago - any better now?
Well I'll be using the train, and it looks like they recently added a way to get on to the a23 without having to go up to the town centre, but at the end of the day getting a nice 3bed detached in budget was the main reason.

Back
Top Bottom