The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
everything seems to be going wrong with our at the moment, having massive issues getting buildings insurance on the new place and the people buying our want to re-negotiate on the price due to "damp issues" which are non existent. buying and selling is so painful!

Associate
I am also exchanging today (hopefully)! My completing date will be a bit after yours though (1st March)!
Still bit nervous untill I actually hold the keys in my hands haha.

everything seems to be going wrong with our at the moment, having massive issues getting buildings insurance on the new place and the people buying our want to re-negotiate on the price due to "damp issues" which are non existent. buying and selling is so painful!
Isnt building insurance "taken out" on exchange? I guess you mean getting quotes beforehand?
Is there something wrong with property or just struggling to find good quote?

Associate
Isnt building insurance "taken out" on exchange? I guess you mean getting quotes beforehand?
Is there something wrong with property or just struggling to find good quote?

There was "subsidence" due to escape of water thanks to a broken drain. the vendors had the drain fixed and cosmetic damage to the house fixed on insurance. but because its called subsidence no insurers will touch it unless a structral engineers survey is carried out so we are batting around who should pay for this.

Just seems to be taking an age.

Associate
Wasn't able to exchange today. Sellers soliticitor wasnt able exchange on the sellers onward property, and now the sellers solicitor is going home for the weekend. Maybe Monday then.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to hear. Anyone else here used O'Neill Patient for conveyancing? How about ConveyLaw?

ONP are the preferred solicitor for Platform Mortgages (Co Op underneath) I used then last year for remortgages.

Made an offer on a house yesterday, agreed a final price this morning. I know the couple who are selling, it's only round the corner from my house.

Got the DIP, moved to application, accepted, scanned and uploaded documents this afternoon.

Using Platform Mortgages again with ONP. Hopefully the rest of the process will be just as painless.

fez

fez

Caporegime
There was "subsidence" due to escape of water thanks to a broken drain. the vendors had the drain fixed and cosmetic damage to the house fixed on insurance. but because its called subsidence no insurers will touch it unless a structral engineers survey is carried out so we are batting around who should pay for this.

Just seems to be taking an age.

The person who pays for it is the person who is least willing to walk away from the sale. You are likely in a stronger position however as anyone else who gets to this point in a future purchase of the house will run into exactly the same issues. If you are prepared to dig your heels in then the seller should be paying for this. They could spend years and waste thousands of pounds of peoples money for their sale to repeatedly fall through for this issues. The only problem is that they are not required to disclose this information until people are well into the buying process.

Soldato
Wednesday completion is now looking bleak. So frustrating, as the sellers split up they both have to agree on a date to complete. In the end the Girl said she needed another week to remove the Settee from the house. I then find out she lives 2 roads up from the house I've bought had over 2 months to remove a Settee and now holding it up.

Associate
Have done, also offered to leave it in the garage until she can arrange removal. Solicitors are shut for the weekend and Monday I think is too short deadline for Wednesday if she agreed.

Apparently you can exchange and complete on the same day as long as the funds are all in place from providers etc. Find it remarkable really but doubt it happens so easily.

Soldato
Well I've signed and returned the contract paid my deposit to the solicitors it's just a case of them getting the mortgage funds now and it was all planned for Wednesday not sure if she will agree to be honest and Im also not sure how much notice in advance they would need to to complete. Friday may be possible but she requested the week after prior to my responses grr.

Associate
Well I've signed and returned the contract paid my deposit to the solicitors it's just a case of them getting the mortgage funds now and it was all planned for Wednesday not sure if she will agree to be honest and Im also not sure how much notice in advance they would need to to complete. Friday may be possible but she requested the week after prior to my responses grr.
Exactly same position here, all signed and deposit transferred. Was meant to exchange friday and compelete Thursday but sellers solicitors saying Thursday is no good enough now... we'll see what happens Monday.

Soldato
I feel that we are edging closer to our sale after some messing around from our buyers earlier on in the process. Still a little disappointed that he sat on submitting the searches for three weeks which has slowed us down. From our onward purchase I think we're just about there now. Theres apparently a few enquiries coming back to my solicitor from my buyer in the next few days, is this a normal thing? If so what sort of things would they be raising?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I feel that we are edging closer to our sale after some messing around from our buyers earlier on in the process. Still a little disappointed that he sat on submitting the searches for three weeks which has slowed us down. From our onward purchase I think we're just about there now. Theres apparently a few enquiries coming back to my solicitor from my buyer in the next few days, is this a normal thing? If so what sort of things would they be raising?

Its perfectly normal for buyers and sellers to be sending enquiries through their solicitors. Our buyers wanted proof that the replacement windows and potential modifications to the kitchen had been approved by the landlord of the flat we were selling. The leasehold (999 years) was written 50 odd years ago and is basically a product of its time and essentially lays down a load of rules that are entirely ignored because we don't live in the 70s anymore and they wanted to make sure that they weren't going to run into issue with any changes that had been made. Any modifications in theory should be signed off by the landlord so we had to get the management company to send an official document saying "yes, the change from single glazing 15 years ago is fine and if you have changed the kitchen that is fine as well".

Its your opportunity to clarify things and ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom