The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
It turns out the extension on the house we are buying was built without planning permission, it was approved 1989 but then terminated by the building control office in 1992 as it hadn't started. There is also no evidence of building control.

We hadn't had a survey as yet as it does need a lot of work doing so didn't see the point, we were going to rewire and change the kitchens/bathrooms, boiler etc. And the last survey I had done didn't tell me anything structural, and missed a number of issues anyway.

The solicitor has advised a survey now to check the quality and structural integrity of the extension. I'm considering just going direct to a general structure inspection and report by a structural engineer rather than a building survey by a surveyor, I know there are Chartered Building Surveyors but you can't search for that speciality on the RICS site. I'm not sure how much they can actually check without intrusive checks.

What are people's thoughts?

Do you really like the property? Are there any alternatives on the market? I wouldn’t be buying it until the planning issue was sorted properly (e.g. not some kind of indemnity).

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but wouldn’t there be an issue that if retrospective building regs was sought it would be inspected under the current regime, not the one from 30 years ago so may well fail on things that will be difficult to put right (e.g. thermal performance).

Both will be a problem still when you come to sell unless they are out right, better it be on someone else’s wallet than yours.

Caporegime
Do you really like the property? Are there any alternatives on the market? I wouldn’t be buying it until the planning issue was sorted properly (e.g. not some kind of indemnity).

Planning is irrelevant. It's been there long enough not to be challengeable. Whether it was built to regs is more of an issue, but should be easy to determine from documents.

Associate

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but wouldn’t there be an issue that if retrospective building regs was sought it would be inspected under the current regime, not the one from 30 years ago so may well fail on things that will be difficult to put right (e.g. thermal performance).

Both will be a problem still when you come to sell unless they are out right, better it be on someone else’s wallet than yours.

Thanks for the replies. We do like the property, there’s nothing on the market for the same price for the size. It needs work though but we would do that anyway.

As Mr Jack mentions there isn’t an issue with planning as it has been up so long. You are correct about regularisation, the solicitor also said it would be judged against today’s regs rather than those when it was built.

I have emailed a structural engineer to see what they can check without pulling things apart. It would be nice to have it checked that it wouldn’t fall down, even if it has been standing for 20-30 years.

Man of Honour
Had my home demo today, few little snags picked up on after a thorough 2 hour inspection and all good to complete Friday. April seems a long time ago when I reserved the plot!

I moved in April and somehow it is October almost November already - dunno where the time has gone only feels like yesterday we were walking through the front door for the first time.

Don
Newbie first time buyer here:

I'm looking at buying my council house via right to buy

Have had a mortgage in principle from a lender, and have just received the valuation and discount back from the council.

What order do I need to do things next?

Speak to the lender and get the mortgage arranged? Or do I need to speak to a solicitor/conveyancer first?

Permabanned
I have emailed a structural engineer to see what they can check without pulling things apart. It would be nice to have it checked that it wouldn’t fall down, even if it has been standing for 20-30 years.

Had a reply from the structural engineer, part of which states:

For the attendance of a Chartered Structural Engineer, we can observe the later addition for obvious signs of structural distress [cracking/movement], but we're unlikely to be allowed to have opening-up works undertaken for us to observe any concealed structure [ie no trial pits to observe foundations, no removing of boxing out to reveal joists, beams, bearings, etc]. Therefore any attendance at this stage by *anyone* would only ever be a surface visual inspection of the current finishes, ie the external walls, internal walls/boxing-out etc.

If there are obvious signs of distress [ie cracks/movement] in the observed surfaces then we can report on these. However, if there are none, or the finishes are fresh [and therefore any signs of movement/distress will have been deleted], then there will be limited to observed and report upon.

So, given I couldn't see any cracks or movement when I have checked round, there doesn't seem much point in having them check it. SWMBO is set on the house whatever anyway.

edit: bah, password reset to the wrong email address :(

Associate
We're done! The Mrs is picking up the keys after lunch. First time buyers and it's taken us about 7 weeks to sort out everything which isn't too bad at all.

Now time for the house upgrades. Wish us luck!

Soldato
Would you buy a property that has knotweed the other side of the rear garden fence but has a 10 year management plan in place?

My friend likes a property that has the above. She is a cash buyer but she is worried that if she wants to sell in the future she may have issues selling it?

She loves the house!

Soldato
Would you buy a property that has knotweed the other side of the rear garden fence but has a 10 year management plan in place?

My friend likes a property that has the above. She is a cash buyer but she is worried that if she wants to sell in the future she may have issues selling it?

She loves the house!
No

Back
Top Bottom