1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The nervous wait to exchange....

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by noj, Apr 3, 2014.

1. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Sounds like we could be exchanging contracts next week :)

2. GhostlyPea

Mobster

Got a viewing on my flat tonight, fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up

- GP

3. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

Do you really like the property? Are there any alternatives on the market? I wouldn’t be buying it until the planning issue was sorted properly (e.g. not some kind of indemnity).

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but wouldn’t there be an issue that if retrospective building regs was sought it would be inspected under the current regime, not the one from 30 years ago so may well fail on things that will be difficult to put right (e.g. thermal performance).

Both will be a problem still when you come to sell unless they are out right, better it be on someone else’s wallet than yours.

4. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Planning is irrelevant. It's been there long enough not to be challengeable. Whether it was built to regs is more of an issue, but should be easy to determine from documents.

5. MattTheTall77

Hitman

Thanks for the replies. We do like the property, there’s nothing on the market for the same price for the size. It needs work though but we would do that anyway.

As Mr Jack mentions there isn’t an issue with planning as it has been up so long. You are correct about regularisation, the solicitor also said it would be judged against today’s regs rather than those when it was built.

I have emailed a structural engineer to see what they can check without pulling things apart. It would be nice to have it checked that it wouldn’t fall down, even if it has been standing for 20-30 years.

6. mad_allan

Mobster

Had my home demo today, few little snags picked up on after a thorough 2 hour inspection and all good to complete Friday. April seems a long time ago when I reserved the plot!

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

I moved in April and somehow it is October almost November already - dunno where the time has gone only feels like yesterday we were walking through the front door for the first time.

8. krooton

Caporegime

Same, though I am really glad we sorted out all the smart heating stuff before summer even started, it's already doing some spiffy stuff.

9. Armageus

Don

Newbie first time buyer here:

I'm looking at buying my council house via right to buy

Have had a mortgage in principle from a lender, and have just received the valuation and discount back from the council.

What order do I need to do things next?

Speak to the lender and get the mortgage arranged? Or do I need to speak to a solicitor/conveyancer first?

10. TheTallLanky77

Perma Banned

Had a reply from the structural engineer, part of which states:

So, given I couldn't see any cracks or movement when I have checked round, there doesn't seem much point in having them check it. SWMBO is set on the house whatever anyway.

edit: bah, password reset to the wrong email address :(

11. Maccy

Commissario

@TheTallLanky77 get a thread started in Forum Content Discussion if you're having trouble accessing your other account :)

12. MattTheTall77

Hitman

Thanks Maccy, I had a brain fart when trying to log in at home, this (my normal) account is my work email and I was trying to log in using my home email. I'd forgotten it even existed, I blame the man flu!

13. Mr Jack

Capodecina

The second quote has, thankfully, come in cheaper at €3600 but still over a grand more than I was budgeting for :/

14. Vanquish-Storm

Mobster

Packing our stuff into storage at the moment still not got an exchange date but the house we are buying won't be completed on the same day the one we are selling will complete! Fun times!

15. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yay!

Where are you staying in the meantime?

16. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

We're done! The Mrs is picking up the keys after lunch. First time buyers and it's taken us about 7 weeks to sort out everything which isn't too bad at all.

Now time for the house upgrades. Wish us luck!

17. Vanquish-Storm

Mobster

In-laws. Had the original purchase not fell through it would have been tide together but it's just easier for us to move out temporarily now. Hoping to still be in the new house by Christmas! :D

18. koolpc

Capodecina

Would you buy a property that has knotweed the other side of the rear garden fence but has a 10 year management plan in place?

My friend likes a property that has the above. She is a cash buyer but she is worried that if she wants to sell in the future she may have issues selling it?

She loves the house!

19. Skillmister

Capodecina

No

20. Steeps

Soldato

11 weeks in, still no date confirmed from solicitors, they have everything including exchange deposit. How soon until I declare them dead?