1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The nervous wait to exchange....

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by noj, Apr 3, 2014.

  1. mid_gen

    Sgarrista

    Joined: Dec 20, 2004

    Posts: 9,358

    The other half keeps dropping hints about going to Champneys, is it decent? The Tap in Ashby is really nice, our usual watering hole.

    Got all my paperwork over to the solicitors now...just gotta wait for draft contracts now.
     
  2. e36Adz

    Capodecina

    Joined: Nov 28, 2003

    Posts: 11,145

    Location: Manchester, UK

    Queries all been addressed I've been told today by the estate agent. The sellers solicitor will be forwarding it to my solicitor today. How far am I from completion? It's been such a drag...
     
  3. Marvt74

    Capodecina

    Joined: Feb 20, 2004

    Posts: 14,010

    Location: Higher Walton

    Yeah it's decent enough, just depends on the deals.

    We get 75% off through Vitality health insurance, which works out around £140 for both of us for 2 nights with all meals included. At that price it's a steal. I'd be less impressed if paying their full prices though.

    We get 4 trips a year and tend to only go 2/3 times so give me a shout if you want to take advantage :)


    Sounds like things are moving quickly.
     
  4. 413x

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jan 13, 2010

    Posts: 18,333

    Location: Cardiff

    Exchange is expected today or tomorrow. For some reason this is the most nervous I've been
     
  5. Junglist

    Mobster

    Joined: Jun 11, 2015

    Posts: 4,967

    Location: Bristol

    It's cause you're almost there!

    I don't want to offer a premature-congratulation... but congratulations!
     
  6. ShadowMan

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 18, 2002

    Posts: 1,579

    We are also hoping to exchange tomorrow. Last bits done today. Buyer is waiting on final nod from Halifax regarding our road but we have confirmation in writing from developer they are due to adopt this year and are starting final remedial works in next few weeks.

    nervous doesn’t cut it as basically the lender has the final say and nothing more is or buyers can do :(
     
  7. 413x

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jan 13, 2010

    Posts: 18,333

    Location: Cardiff

    I really hate having so little control of such an important situation. Why the f can't we have a system like Scotland and a lot of the rest of the world when there are harsher penalties for dropping out without reason and changing your mind on offers etc
     
  8. mid_gen

    Sgarrista

    Joined: Dec 20, 2004

    Posts: 9,358

    Going through this the first time, it's bloody daft. I'm about to drop a load of money on a building survey without even a sniff of legal commitment from either side. I'm amazed anyone ever manages to complete a transaction, especially with chains involved! My colleague has been gazumped already this week.
     
  9. 413x

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jan 13, 2010

    Posts: 18,333

    Location: Cardiff

    Our solicitors are having trouble contacting the other side to get exchange done. Its a tad concerning as we are under the impression there is no delay up the chain

    Really do not want to go into the weekend without exchange.
     
  10. ShadowMan

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 18, 2002

    Posts: 1,579

    Similar boat to us. Our file has been signed off. Buyer still waiting for a reply from Halifax who have passed their query back to the valuer. Not looking likely for exchange today. If we don't get it done today/Monday then we have to wait another month as our buyer can't hand in notice on their current rented place due to 1 months full notice being required.
     
  11. Hodders

    Mobster

    Joined: Oct 18, 2002

    Posts: 4,206

    Location: Aldbourne Wiltshire

    It just seems so simple to solve:

    Mortgage companies have to provide a mortgage offer with three criteria: 1) Minumum deposit to value, 2) Maximum value. That way I can apply and have a mortgage offer I can rely on independent of the exact house.

    I want to sell my house. I have an independent survey done along with searches and an independent valuation that mortgage providers are legally bound to accept.

    Anyone that wants to make an offer has a copy of those documents.

    They make an offer. Once accepted both parties put down a 1% deposit. If either party pulls out or fails to exchange within 1 month the other gets the 1%.

    If all parties in a chain have their ducks in a row then there is no reason for sales to fall through.

    The way it works in England is madness, it's almost as though surveyors and solicitors want to encourage sales to fall through - Hmmmm !

    We sold a property and completed today. 2 previous buyers pulled out on us both with spurious reasons. It's a relief to cross the line I'll tell you.
     
  12. Mr.Cookie

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 21, 2002

    Posts: 1,473

    Location: HR 7047

    Our vendor died, now gone to probate :(
     
  13. Buffman

    Sgarrista

    Joined: May 4, 2007

    Posts: 7,607

    Location: Warwickshire

    Anyone in this thread got any reccomendations for online selling of your house? Considering selling mine.

    Know theres purplebricks etc but wondering if theres any good/cheap alternatives?
     
  14. ash_scotland88

    Soldato

    Joined: Jul 1, 2007

    Posts: 5,142

    In Scotland are offers before a closing date anonymous?
    Put in an offer below asking as we felt the property has been over valued but also been asked to provide feedback after viewings. Would there be anything to link us between the offer and the feedback?
     
  15. Basher

    Sgarrista

    Joined: Oct 18, 2002

    Posts: 7,630

    Why do you want to sell it online? PB is probably one of the cheapest, but depending on how good the local property expert is near you, the cost you save will be outweighed by the lower price they achieve. Get a few agents around to get a feel.
     
  16. Buffman

    Sgarrista

    Joined: May 4, 2007

    Posts: 7,607

    Location: Warwickshire

    Really? I figure as long as its on rightmove itll be alright it is a fairly desirable/fully renovated bungalow in a good area.

    Ive got a few agents coming round for a valuation but ill need to see what they charge. If they charge even as low as 1% and i expect £300k or more, id rather pay less for estate agent (e.g. £1k ish from ginger/ doorsteps / purple bricks)
     
  17. Myth

    Gangster

    Joined: Nov 27, 2004

    Posts: 115

    I used purple bricks and they were great. I got £5k more than I was expecting and it sold within a few days. Also with purple bricks you can self manage it through the app etc.

    However local agents usually have quite a good portfolio of people who are looking for houses and know their budget so you could instantly get a load of viewings if your house is in a desirable location.

    For me it’s weighing it up but defiantly worth getting some local agents out to see what they have to say.

    But do some local research and find out what you are expecting and what your house could be worth. Estate agents are renowned for giving it the big one and over valuing the house.
     
  18. Junglist

    Mobster

    Joined: Jun 11, 2015

    Posts: 4,967

    Location: Bristol

    We had an expected exchange date of the 13th of February but it's looking like we may be on target to exchange by the 31st! Just have to pop to the solicitors this week to sign some bits and hand over the deposit money and I think we're sorted.
     
  19. ShadowMan

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 18, 2002

    Posts: 1,579

    Exchanged this morning and moving day booked for 5th Feb. In process of organising broadband and address changes for many things next few days.

    hard bit done. Glad it over. Hopefully rest is smooth sailing.
     
  20. Junglist

    Mobster

    Joined: Jun 11, 2015

    Posts: 4,967

    Location: Bristol

    Congrats man! :D

    I think I'll be super impatient if this does go to plan this or next week. it wont be ready until May!