The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
30s is hardly late to the party these days. Wait ten years and the only people in their 30s able to buy a house will be those who have prematurely topped their parents. Bit like now I suppose but less waiting around.

Caporegime
30s is hardly late to the party these days. Wait ten years and the only people in their 30s able to buy a house will be those who have prematurely topped their parents. Bit like now I suppose but less waiting around.

I moved around a bit, didn't feel happy in my old geography,but stayed long enough to buy! (whoops)

Moved to Wales, like the area, and decided couldn't leave it any later.

Would have rathered been late 20s

Soldato
Thanks. I'm quite late to the party (30s)and it isn't that big a house (not as big as it looks)

A big thing for us is a garden. So we feel very lucky to have a big garden for our budget.

Good condition apart from some questionable wallpaper !!
Below is the kitchen

9b6gNTb.jpg

Same problem I had, "interesting tastes".

Looks like a nice house though, especially for a first time purchase. Is the area expensive?

Soldato
Well the exchange which was planned for tomorrow seems to been have pushed back until the following Friday. We have a deadline of 13th of February in order to get all of our incentives so we have a bit of time to play with yet. Was hoping could go into the weekend not thinking about it any longer!

Associate
I moved around a bit, didn't feel happy in my old geography,but stayed long enough to buy! (whoops)

Well I would rather have been born rich but life is what it is. You are in your 30s with what looks to be a very nice home, in an area you have stated you like. Count yourself reasonably fortunate, by the time you are in your 40s you will be on escape to the country saying how 800k just isn't quite enough to get what you want in that perfect bit of Wiltshire/Shropshire/Wankershire. I jest of course, all I am saying is 30s ain't old these days by any stretch!

Soldato

I'm knocking on 40 and only just buying. The important thing is you have a home paid off by the time you retire. I don't begrudge the decade I spent travelling the world rather than settling down with a mortgage for one moment!

Soldato
What a painful experience. Lack of transparency and all round slow behaviour from solicitors makes me wonder how any of this works in the first place.

Small chain... FTB buying our house and the onward for our purchase is a new build. Kicked off in September last year and still waiting to exchange as an erroneous house charge from the sellers old mortgage provider back in 2000 is proving impossible to remove.

On top of the fact that the sellers want 4weeks between exchange and completion I wish we had never bothered.

Whole farce needs reforming.

Soldato
Have had a sale agreed on my current house for nearly 7 months. It took us time to find a house we liked, but when we did had some issues originally due to some serious building works causing the bank to value it at £0. The vendors did the work required by our bank to allow purchase and legal stuff all sorted for under us in the chain and above mostly. They have now found a place they like, but their seller needs to find a place now so more months of waiting...

2 people below us in the chain and 2+ above.

The property is an old Victorian house that needs a good overhaul so, new double glazing sash wooden windows, kitchen, all 5 bathrooms etc to make it our taste so I hope things move fast so we can have it ready for late summer for a hot tub party !

Link if anyone is interested.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73642882.html

Caporegime
What a painful experience. Lack of transparency and all round slow behaviour from solicitors makes me wonder how any of this works in the first place.

Small chain... FTB buying our house and the onward for our purchase is a new build. Kicked off in September last year and still waiting to exchange as an erroneous house charge from the sellers old mortgage provider back in 2000 is proving impossible to remove.

On top of the fact that the sellers want 4weeks between exchange and completion I wish we had never bothered.

Whole farce needs reforming.

Yeah it's very stressful and anyone can disrupt the whole chain! With often little ramifications. Terrible system

Associate
Fully agree with all of the above. I’m 36 and buying our 2nd home. First was a Shared Ownership so this is our first full buy and hopefully the last. We have pushed for a size we can stay in and it needs work so we can make it our own and bring the value up. I never ever want to have to buy a house again except as investment.

having taken this long I can’t wait to be done on Wednesday. Once we get they keys I’ll post pics.

Soldato
It's utterly ridiculous tbh. 3 weeks since having an offer accepted and still waiting for draft contracts from the seller.

You've got no choice really but to keep looking, and be ready to ditch your seller for something else if it comes up with no/less chain in the way.

Hugely frustrating experience, let along the 700 quid or so I have to drop on a survey without any commitment to the sale. It's utterly ridiculous that the seller isn't responsible for getting an independent survey.

Soldato
The property is an old Victorian house that needs a good overhaul so, new double glazing sash wooden windows, kitchen, all 5 bathrooms etc to make it our taste so I hope things move fast so we can have it ready for late summer for a hot tub party !

Link if anyone is interested.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73642882.html

Very nice sized property - i've been through the area a few times, it's about a 15-20 min drive from me.

Lots of scope to suit your own tastes etc.

Back
Top Bottom