The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Not really a problem but very annoying that *someone* was in the house we now owned and faffing about taking the TV off the wall and loading up a van.
Yeesh! As a recent FTB who really feels like I'd finally managed one of life's achievements/aims against all odds it was bad enough our sellers left their crap in the loft. To have the guy there still, I'd be fuming! What a downer on what should have been a happy and momentous time for you. Some people have zero respect! :(

Soldato
Yeesh! As a recent FTB who really feels like I'd finally managed one of life's achievements/aims against all odds it was bad enough our sellers left their crap in the loft. To have the guy there still, I'd be fuming! What a downer on what should have been a happy and momentous time for you. Some people have zero respect! :(

He was very odd, his mate came round to help out but went upstairs and had a shower and then left us a present in the toilet.....

Soldato
He was very odd, his mate came round to help out but went upstairs and had a shower and then left us a present in the toilet.....
Some people are just plain odd! I’m assuming our seller will be using a professional company so fingers crossed they will be gone in good time and she is far to old and nice to be leaving at presents in the toilet!

Associate
Our 6 month ordeal is now over, we exchanged and completed on the 22nd. :) Still surrounded by boxes but we are in. It was a surreal day, a rude awaking with a call from my solicitor at 7:30am saying it may not happen as he'd been trying to get in touch with our buyers solicitor all day the day before to exchange, bearing in mind we had the movers in the day before packing all our belongings into boxes.

Our movers were part way through loading the vans when the call came through around 10am that we had exchanged.

Soldato
We’re currently in the process of buying/selling.

We had an offer which we accepted on ours within 4 days of it going up, and an offer accepted on another property 2 weeks after that.

Just waiting for the vendor to find somewhere else but it’s been around 2 months already. Hopefully they find somewhere in January. If we don’t complete before April then we will need to apply to extend the mortgage offer which may mean the interest rate goes up.

Soldato
Got a Level 3 survey booked later this month. I'd like to get some measurements and check a few things with the house too, is this something that's frowned upon? Should I aim to go while they're in, or ask the estate to let me in separately? No idea if there's an etiquette here.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Got a Level 3 survey booked later this month. I'd like to get some measurements and check a few things with the house too, is this something that's frowned upon? Should I aim to go while they're in, or ask the estate to let me in separately? No idea if there's an etiquette here.

Your solicitor will almost certainly recommend (though perhaps in some small print somewhere) that you conduct a viewing prior to exchange to make sure that the property is in the condition you'd expect it to be in. If it has fallen down or flooded or whatever and you exchange anyway then you're on the hook to buy the ruins (or pull out at huge expense). Their EA will almost certainly readily facilitate this if you let them know why etc.

Personally I would wait until you have the survey results back seen as you've ordered one anyway. It will likely find something and you can then have a look at that while you are there doing whatever else you want to do.

Soldato
Sadly the vendor we are buying from still hasn't found a property to move onto so we are still stuck. Thankfully we aren't selling anything so no one is chasing us but definitely would like to get things going.

Just recently got our mortgage offer through so that is sorted. Id just like them to get something sorted so I can let the solicitor go off and do what they need to!

Soldato
Sadly the vendor we are buying from still hasn't found a property to move onto so we are still stuck. Thankfully we aren't selling anything so no one is chasing us but definitely would like to get things going.

Just recently got our mortgage offer through so that is sorted. Id just like them to get something sorted so I can let the solicitor go off and do what they need to!

I had the same and in the end the seller was messing us about and never really wanted to move at all, went on for months until we found somewhere else. Hoping your case is different it's so frustrating.

Soldato
I had the same and in the end the seller was messing us about and never really wanted to move at all, went on for months until we found somewhere else. Hoping your case is different it's so frustrating.
Yeah ive got a horrible feeling we might end up in the same situation. He basically wants the exact house he lives in (That I want!) but a bit bigger and within like a square mile of where he currently lives for schooling reasons etc. I have sympathy but its a real PITA at the minute.

I am still looking every day on Rightmove but market seems a bit slow!

Soldato
Been to a see a few properties in the last 1-2 weeks and put in multiple offers. Every single one I've been outbid on with the houses going for far more than they are worth (in my eyes at least). Just been to see one I like and put an offer but I'm expecting to get outbid :/. There is new stuff popping up each day which is good I suppose. I only have a few requirements, semi or end terrace, driveway or garage and must have a shower but I suppose that's even too much to ask.

The taste people have in decor is really frightening, some right tatty **** holes where it looks like someone 200 years old lives there.

Soldato
Been to a see a few properties in the last 1-2 weeks and put in multiple offers. Every single one I've been outbid on with the houses going for far more than they are worth (in my eyes at least). Just been to see one I like and put an offer but I'm expecting to get outbid :/. There is new stuff popping up each day which is good I suppose. I only have a few requirements, semi or end terrace, driveway or garage and must have a shower but I suppose that's even too much to ask.

The taste people have in decor is really frightening, some right tatty **** holes where it looks like someone 200 years old lives there.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, everything seems to be going for higher than asking price, even properties listed at the higher end of brackets.

I keep telling myself to be patient, but it's quite disheartening. Contemplated waiting longer to save a larger deposit and open my options up but on the other hand house.peuces just keep going up!

Soldato

When you see the bathrooms, if it has a shower, are you saying to yourself "I'm not touching this." because if not, then you may as well see the baths as well, with an eye to ripping it out and putting a shower in.

Thankfully we were planning to redo the kitchen of the place we're hopefully buying regardless, but even if we weren't planning on making it open plan, there's no way we could have left it. The bright red and yellow decor, with some black and white highlights, just really take the biscuit...

Soldato
Yeah ive got a horrible feeling we might end up in the same situation. He basically wants the exact house he lives in (That I want!) but a bit bigger and within like a square mile of where he currently lives for schooling reasons etc. I have sympathy but its a real PITA at the minute.

I am still looking every day on Rightmove but market seems a bit slow!

I been waiting 4 months for the seller to find a house! He doesnt want anything started until he does so.

I have still been looking though.

Soldato
I been waiting 4 months for the seller to find a house! He doesnt want anything started until he does so.

I have still been looking though.
I wont be far off that soon! The seller would probably be ok with me starting (Not sure if he thinks I have!) but I was burnt by the last house I was buying collapsing and taking with it the money I spent on searches etc.

Definitely taking this one slower.

Soldato
I wont be far off that soon! The seller would probably be ok with me starting (Not sure if he thinks I have!) but I was burnt by the last house I was buying collapsing and taking with it the money I spent on searches etc.

Definitely taking this one slower.

Yea, best bet that.

For me, its so frustrating though. The waiting. I want to get things going. Survey is most important for me. Get that done and if all ok, go from there.

Hope yours works out ok anyway.

Soldato
Yea, best bet that.

For me, its so frustrating though. The waiting. I want to get things going. Survey is most important for me. Get that done and if all ok, go from there.

Hope yours works out ok anyway.
Definitely mate, slow is always bad ha!
All the best with yours also, Hopefully we both can post in here soon with some good news !

Soldato
When you see the bathrooms, if it has a shower, are you saying to yourself "I'm not touching this." because if not, then you may as well see the baths as well, with an eye to ripping it out and putting a shower in

Thankfully we were planning to redo the kitchen of the place we're hopefully buying regardless, but even if we weren't planning on making it open plan, there's no way we could have left it. The bright red and yellow decor, with some black and white highlights, just really take the biscuit...
I'm at the very low end of the market (130k max and that's pushing it a little). Redoing the bathroom isn't exactly on the cards as an option budget wise. I saw a very nicely renovated one but for whatever reason they put a bath in the most stupid place without a shower. The only way to fit a shower would be to renovate the bathroom and rip everything out again as everything would need moved.

There is plenty coming up but they go for more than asking price and gets into stupid money for what you are paying for (mostly 2 bed box houses)

Last edited:
Associate
We’ve put an offer in on our first home today. Dropped the offer as boiler would need replacing soon and a couple other issues I’d want to deal with. Though fully expecting we’ll miss out with others just offering the asking price or higher.

If the do accept should hopefully be straightforward ish as they’re buying a new build so would only be the 2 of us in the chain. Shall see….

Back
Top Bottom