The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
I wont be far off that soon! The seller would probably be ok with me starting (Not sure if he thinks I have!) but I was burnt by the last house I was buying collapsing and taking with it the money I spent on searches etc.

Definitely taking this one slower.
Update. Seller has asked me for another 50k or it's going back on the market. Pretty gutted to be honest and it's starting to take a toll on me, this being the second time things have collapsed.

Soldato
Update. Seller has asked me for another 50k or it's going back on the market. Pretty gutted to be honest and it's starting to take a toll on me, this being the second time things have collapsed.
This was the guy you were waiting on to find himself a place so you could buy his? What a tool! Did he have any reasoning whatsoever? Hope you told him to do one (in stronger terms).

Soldato
After both me and the vendor's estate agent chased our solicitors on the same day, finally got back most of the paperwork. Contracts, covenants, drafts, deeds etc etc. Lots of reading to do tonight!

What a ****ing dick move. I get that 50k might look like a lot of money for free but ... Don't agree to selling something if you don't plan to actually do so. Sorry mate :(

Soldato
Unlucky, we've stopped looking as not willing to get into the same situation as yourself, going to wait for the market to cool down.
Yep it's not a bad idea at all. I am not going to rush into anything but just annoying my mortgage will probably expire now before I can get anything else which is a pain.

This was the guy you were waiting on to find himself a place so you could buy his? What a tool! Did he have any reasoning whatsoever? Hope you told him to do one (in stronger terms).
Yep that was it. Not really, he never contacted me it was the estate agent. The agent just basically asked if I wanted to raise my offer.

What a ****ing dick move. I get that 50k might look like a lot of money for free but ... Don't agree to selling something if you don't plan to actually do so. Sorry mate :(
Yeah 50k is very strong. If he was asking for 10k to help push him over the edge for his new property I'd have some sympathy but a 10% rise is taking the mick imo.

taB

taB

Associate

Terrible behaviour. If it doesn't affect you too much then agree to it, string them along for as long as possible while looking for another property. In 6 months time offer them £20k under your current offer as "things have changed" and see what they say. I think if someone did this to me I'd not want to buy their place anyway as they'd try other silliness down the line.

Soldato
Terrible behaviour. If it doesn't affect you too much then agree to it, string them along for as long as possible while looking for another property. In 6 months time offer them £20k under your current offer as "things have changed" and see what they say. I think if someone did this to me I'd not want to buy their place anyway as they'd try other silliness down the line.
Yeah I did have a similar thinking but I don't know if I can deal with any bad karma from going along with it hah

Can't type for toffee
Don

what an utter **** :(

Sorry man

I'm wht the others, string him along say youll pay it then in 6 month time say oh sorry summit came up can only offer 50K less

Soldato
what an utter **** :(

Sorry man

I'm wht the others, string him along say youll pay it then in 6 month time say oh sorry summit came up can only offer 50K less
Yeah its pretty frustrating in all honesty. Its already back on the market and I had half a mind to get everyone I can think of to pester the estate agents for viewings etc and just waste their time.

You will need a new mortgage offer and it may be downvalued anyway
It got downvalued originally, I then added another 10k to get his original asking price!

Soldato
Prices might be coming down?
My alerts on rightmove are now often 'reduced'.

Still seem sky high though. But had none of these a couple of months back

Prices are still strong but no sign of slowing down atm from the people I’ve spoken to in the know. Some people are advertising through agents, finding buyers then dealing privately to cut the commission for the agents.

Soldato
Prices might be coming down?
My alerts on rightmove are now often 'reduced'.

Still seem sky high though. But had none of these a couple of months back
We are selling a property soon and it is an estate agent tactic to do this. They walked us through how they would do it explaining the first 3-4 weeks are the busiest so they set an ambitious price then they will reduce after that slightly which will generate more interest again to get it to sell.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I've got all contracts signed. Now just waiting on Exchange date. Trying to get both exchange done at the same time.
I have sold my 2 bed house and purchased a 4 bed house.

I've had no issues so far.

Soldato
House I wanted has gone for asking with a big cash deposit. Impossible to compete.

Got an offer on mine of 525k after a first viewing, I paid 450k 2.5 years ago. I've asked her for more as tbh I can wait longer for the right buyer as there is nothing on the market now.
So no movement since 25th Jan but the lady who offered £525k reoffered £525k which I've accepted. That's a £75k increase since April 2019. Although I have done £10-15k worth of work (kitchen, bathroom, window refurbs, glass changes, fitted wardrobes etc).

Now to find a house...

Soldato
About to exchange and the seller is gazumping for another £25k. After they messed us around for many months delaying the exchange I’m wondering how long I can drag this out for before they realise I’m not going commit to any increase and will walk.

Edit: plan so far is to tell them that more money means we need to go into a chain (we are chain free at the moment) so they will have to wait or we can complete at the original agreed price. That will really test them if they actually do want to hold out for more as they will have to wait for another buyer to come in to offer more and then go through the process again which will take around 4 months. We are ready to walk otherwise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They need some laws around house purchasing and gazumping

It's a horrible situation. I guarantee if we bought this house now we would have had the same.

It's also disgusting you have to wait months. All the way to exchange to be locked in. Really, I can't believe there isn't some penalty for this

Back
Top Bottom