The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Going for a final check of the property tomorrow in view of exchanging soon.

Solicitor said she was happy with all questions and was ready to set a date, 7 days ago. Not a fan of the silence between updates!

Caporegime
Did you search any other providers or use a mortgage advisor for a remortgage? I would have thought mainstream banks would usually charge higher rates. Which I was I avoided them as a first time buyer..

I bank with lloyds, what fees did you pay? Yeh I will sort 3 to 4 months before term ends to hopefully give enough time. I don't really want the hassle of them being over scrutinising on checks though . I'm good with money. Never missed a payment, although when I got my original mortgage lit all they asked for was last 2 years p60 and last 3 months payslips.
I did a price comparison search.
Both times I've used advisors they've been no better than price comparison sites.

Fees were 999
Cashback 750.

So pretty good!

Soldato
I did a price comparison search.
Both times I've used advisors they've been no better than price comparison sites.

This.

Brokers have their place, particularly if you are not a straight forward customer (E.g. self employed) but for your day to day customer we’ll within their affordability bracket doing a straight forward re-mortgage, you’ll probably find similar or the same deals yourself in 5 mins on a comparison site.

If you don’t know what you are looking at then it’s best to go and talk to a broker/adviser.

Soldato
This.

Brokers have their place, particularly if you are not a straight forward customer (E.g. self employed) but for your day to day customer we’ll within their affordability bracket, you’ll probably find similar or the same deals yourself in 5 mins on a comparison site.
I’m a contractor and so i do need a broker. Plus a broker lease with the estate agent and banks for u.

It’s not just doing a google search…

Soldato
I’m a contractor and so i do need a broker. Plus a broker lease with the estate agent and banks for u.

I never said it was…. I’d suggest re-reading my post

It’s a re-mortgage the poster was asking about, there are no other parties to engage with.

The lender will normally appoint a solicitor and pay for it to deal with the legal elements of the remortgage (you can appoint your own if you want but you’ll have to pay for that).

If your transacting, it’s the solicitors job to update the relevant parties, you don’t need a broker to do that and normally your own solicitor will also act for the lender if they meet their criteria. There is no absolute requirement to use a broker but as I said in my post, if you are not a straight forward customer, you may be better off with a broker to do the legwork for you.

Caporegime

He did say straight forward.

My first mortgage u went with a broker. Simply as too much going on I didn't want the hassle.

Now I'll just go direct. We are both PAYE. And house is freehold

Associate
Got sale agreed on our current house last week. We are looking at a house that has a guide price of 450-500k over here in NI. No bids were in yet so to try and get it early we put in an offer of 460k.

That was last Thursday and we still haven't heard a thing from the vendors.

Their house has been on the market now for 2-3 months so it's not like it's just been listed.

Is it too early to call them back yet?

ps: they are using an agent called express estate agency, anyone heard or dealt with these in the past?

Can't type for toffee
Don
Weve got just over a week before we need to complete with the builders..

Buyer has now decided they want to arrange both a gas safety check and a full electrical check

This is after the first few weeks them not realising they hadn't even paid their solicitors haha

The companies they've chose best get a wiggle on haha

Associate
Contract packs have apparently been sent/received after the EA chased both solicitors for us(wrong email apparently) so hopefully start seeing some progress again soon and having searches and surveys started.

Mortgage broker should now have everything they need too so hope to have that finalised shortly.

Soldato
I never said it was…. I’d suggest re-reading my post

It’s a re-mortgage the poster was asking about, there are no other parties to engage with.

The lender will normally appoint a solicitor and pay for it to deal with the legal elements of the remortgage (you can appoint your own if you want but you’ll have to pay for that).

If your transacting, it’s the solicitors job to update the relevant parties, you don’t need a broker to do that and normally your own solicitor will also act for the lender if they meet their criteria. There is no absolute requirement to use a broker but as I said in my post, if you are not a straight forward customer, you may be better off with a broker to do the legwork for you.
Calm down. no need to be rude.

Apologize if that is what you meant originally

Soldato
Buyer has now decided they want to arrange both a gas safety check and a full electrical check
This is ridiculous and someone should point out that it doesn't change much. The only reason I can imagine they want these checks is to knock the price down... And it's a stupid time to play that game.

This is after the first few weeks them not realising they hadn't even paid their solicitors haha
This though... This happened to us too :D In my defense our solicitors never sent our welcome pack, so we hadn't been told to pay the initial fee!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Aye we had other offers very close to hers, if she starts playing that game ill just look to relist tbh was plenty interest including one that was happy to wait til jan for 5k less.

At this point i would happily drop 5k to save me From running aboot lol, was her that wanted a fast move for her buyer.

Boiler just been serviced, new consumer unit when we moved in like 11 yr ago. No reap bother with gas or leccy since we've been here.

Weve got like a week left to exchange with builder lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Contract packs have apparently been sent/received after the EA chased both solicitors for us(wrong email apparently) so hopefully start seeing some progress again soon and having searches and surveys started.

Mortgage broker should now have everything they need too so hope to have that finalised shortly.
good to hear!

we're still waiting for them. Not sure what's the big deal with draft contracts.

there is very little info in there as far as I'm aware. We've chased the sellers solicitors already and no response. That was a week ago, I'll have to chase again next week. I feel like they'll be troublesome, they're working directly with EA and were obviously recommended for the vendor by EA to go with it.

we went independent for obvious reasons but they can't do much until those arrive from vendor solicitors. GRRR, this is what causes the stress really, the "unknown"

Soldato
Email from solicitor, they're setting a date of exchange for next Tuesday. Just need to get the massive wodge of deposit money together and pay that! My account's gonna look pretty bare soon...

this is what causes the stress really, the "unknown"
1000%! You're left entirely to your own head with no information and a lot of time. You can end up carrying a genuine stress load just from wondering and worrying.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Well sailed thru gas and leccy checks :D

Think I heard the surveyor say he fence would benefit from treatment... there's nowt wrang with it :/
The house may benefit from being painted the exact colours the buyer would like... **** off lmao

Soldato
Still waiting for the management company of the estate to sort out a deed of variation. Our solicitor has said she'll send across her report on title and get us the transfer docs to sign so as soon as the deed comes in we can exchange and complete. There's still the huge unknown of when that will come in though... plus we're approaching 3 months since we had the offer accepted. Everything is sooooo slowwwwwww

Associate
Had our mortgage offer in now. So just need the solicitors to start doing “something”!

I’m hoping for a June/July completion so it’ll be easier on moving our youngest school for next school year rather than mid term, oldest is moving to secondary school so already changing in sept anyway.

Back
Top Bottom