1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Fusion, 25 Nov 2011.

1. Vertigo1

Capodecina

Hmm, does look like that's too high to focus on the centre point :confused:

2. mrk

Man of Honour

It does, I think it's because on the 5D3 it sits high up but it certainly is able to focus with the centre AF point in the dark, tested on the iron last night and B&G at last week's wedding :p

I think one of the non primary pattern sections are what it locks on to though.

3. D.P.

Caporegime

Overpriced:confused:
    It is incredibly god value for money. The 35mm f/1.4G is £1300, the 1.8G is incredibly close in performance and is a bargain at only 30% of the price!
    The 85mm f/1.8G is is a completely irrelevant comparison because 85mm lenses are far easier lenses to design, the 35mm has to be a retro-focus design.

The 35mm DX is now £150, the FX lens will have to cover nearly 2.5X the image circle area, so the FX version costing 2.5-3x as much is to be expected really.

Anyway, the 35mm DX is a cracking lens and works OK on FF but only at the widest apertures and at close focusing. If you try to focus on something further away it wont work.
    Why not just sell the 35mm DX to fund the FX version?

4. Vertigo1

Capodecina

I wonder how the two Nikons compare to the Sigma.

(Disclaimer: I know squat about Nikon :) )

5. BruceLee

Mobster

[​IMG]

Hitech 16 stop FireCrest IRND filter which I've read good reviews on, mostly the very neutral colours it gives, my Big Stopper is a bit of a pain to fix at times.

Eyelead sensor gel stick which I've used with good results, although the shape of the gel means it's hard to get the spots on the edges of the sensor.

Lee Little Stopper, because my Big Stopper is too much for some shots and this apparently also has less colour caste, I've got a 4 stop Hitech ND but when stacked with the Hitech .9 ND grad I have it gives a magenta caste.

Bought mainly for Iceland at the end of the month, going for 2 weeks, hired a 4x4 so will just be driving around the island.

6. ElDude

Mobster

Surprised no one has mentioned this. That's a great quality image, even more so when you consider the price of the lens!

My dad gave me a pile of his old gear from the 70s/80s. Mainly filters, but I found this in it:

http://instagram.com/p/sXjxa4LNJd/?modal=true

:D

7. D.P.

Caporegime

The 35mm f/1.8 FX doesn't have many reviews out to make a detailed comparison. The Sigma is very similar to the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G. The Nikon tends to be a tad sharper, especially over the center and have a smoother bokeh. The Bokeh plus the rendering characteristics tend to make the Nikkor slightly more attractive to the lens connoisseur, but the objective measurements are pretty equal. The Sigma is actually slightly better corrected for CA and distortion.

8. Jase

Mobster

I'm just a bit jealous.. I want to do this at some stage but my next chance will be either a week in December or February.. I need to do some research on those times of year but please let me know how you get on :)

9. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

A low cost but essential addition to the fold

(Yeah the lens is OOF and the box is sharp, shoot me.)

[​IMG]

10. BruceLee

Mobster

I've never been there before but I'd imagine that a lot of the roads would be inaccessible then if you were wanting to travel around, depends what vehicle you get I guess.
    I've been planning this for most of the year, chose this time of year so that it's cheaper as it's out of season, more chance of seeing aurora, less other tourists, Autumn colours and maybe some snowfall around. We've got some tents we will take so don't have to always rely on finding a hostel.

From what I've read a lot of places close over the Winter but there are enough open dotted around. Hostels look very good for around £30 each.

Iceland is fairly expensive so it's worth going with others to share costs, I'm going with a friend so we will split the car/fuel costs.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's a good trip, if I get any decent photos I'll post them.

11. Jase

Mobster

I'll need to do some research then, maybe it will be worth me delaying it until later next year. Have a good trip and look forward to seeing your photos :)

12. Energize

Caporegime

Yeah it's great, operates pretty much the same as the D7000 I had previously and gives a very nice perspective with tiny dof with the 85mm, it's really sharp wide open.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. stument

Hitman

Thanks bud! So tempted to grab one....

14. .one.

Mobster

[​IMG]

I bought a canon 70-210 ultrasonic zoom lens for £45 well happy.

15. Slamhamster

Associate

Picked up a Giottos MML 3260B Monopod and a Manfrotto 234RC Quick Release Head.

[​IMG]
    New Monopod by dfisk1971, on Flickr

Both feel very solid and robust, especially compared to the (mostly) plastic fantastic tripod that was in the loft.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2014
  16. Janesy B

Caporegime

17. .one.

Mobster

It's not 27 years old it was introduced in 1990 this is the USM version.

Canon EF 70–210mm f/3.5–4.5 USM.

18. mr tommo

Soldato

Will be playing with my pocket wizards over the next week.

The plan is 2 or 3 OCF around the dancefloor with one on camera. Got the AC3 controller too but I don't think this can used with a flash on camera.

In my head it's going to look brilliant with rear curtain, but I know it's going to be a pain and end up being a stressful rush come every first dance. They always are aren't they :o

19. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I've highlighted one of its short comings.

And it is hit and miss with ETTL, because of 18% grey metering, it won't fire that much a flash behind the subject, because of the whole black lit thing. It is actually very difficult. It is much easier to have the flash off camera going off a set value in manual and ETTL the front.

20. Vertigo1

Capodecina

24 years old then :)

Still a bargain.