The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I've highlighted one of its short comings.

And it is hit and miss with ETTL, because of 18% grey metering, it won't fire that much a flash behind the subject, because of the whole black lit thing. It is actually very difficult. It is much easier to have the flash off camera going off a set value in manual and ETTL the front.

Is that how you usually do it, with 2/3 OCF on stands in manual and ETTL on the hotshoe? What kind of mix of exposure, manual power levels and ETTL exposure comp?

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to glean as much as I can about this type of lighting as there's little opportunity to practise and even less time to experiment in the heat of the moment :)

Caporegime
Is that how you usually do it, with 2/3 OCF on stands in manual and ETTL on the hotshoe? What kind of mix of exposure, manual power levels and ETTL exposure comp?

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to glean as much as I can about this type of lighting as there's little opportunity to practise and even less time to experiment in the heat of the moment :)

When you are setting up the lights, start with them at 1/128, fire them direct at you. Ask one of the guest to stand in the middle for a test shot. Normally do this while they are clearing the tables after food and / or when the band is setting up their gear.

Up the flash power until you have something that works for that space, depending on how big it is really.

Soldato
I always seem to struggle majorly with on-cam flash, no matter what I do. Even if try bouncing it off walls or ceilings, it either ends up still too bright/brash or, if I dial it down a bit, it doesn't illuminate enough. Never seem to be able to find the sweet spot.

Soldato
I'm not got the money for expensive lens's but I just purchased a brand new Nikon 55-300mm lens from amazon for £199 which seemed a great deal. I only.have the 18-55mm that came originally with my D3200 so hopefully I can get some better shots of Medieval castles, boats traveling out of harbours and nature. :D

Soldato
I bought a stick

006.jpg

Fill it with images and light painting becomes more fun!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Just a few test shots to see if it works fine, going to be a good winter.

Back
Top Bottom