The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I use an X-E1 and X-T1 together, there is a difference with in camera processing using the Fuji profiles. At least I think I prefer the output from the X-E1 although I've never really tested it side by side. Shooting RAW I don't notice any difference. AF is much better on the X-T1 if you're shooting moving subjects etc. but I like my little X-E1 :)

Soldato
I was pondering this the other day as I'm showing a mate the ropes with his Nikon and I like the capabilities, even on the crop cameras. I'm hugely invested in canon and as things have quietened down at the moment I might just wait to see what comes along. Despite my wide array of lenses I only really use 3 of them, so I could even sell a few to switch to a Canon/Nikon mix now if I wanted.

Still, I've regretted impatience before, so I'm not jumping the gun this time :D

If/when Nikon bring out a D400 to go up against the 7D2, it's going to be hard to ignore. A D750/D400 setup would do for me nicely :)

Associate
I use an X-E1 and X-T1 together, there is a difference with in camera processing using the Fuji profiles. At least I think I prefer the output from the X-E1 although I've never really tested it side by side. Shooting RAW I don't notice any difference. AF is much better on the X-T1 if you're shooting moving subjects etc. but I like my little X-E1 :)

Yes, the X-T1 has a lot more going for it in the speed department, not to mention that gorgeous EVF, but for me it was either get the X-T1 and make do with one lens for now or get two lenses and go for the cheaper body while I wait for the next gen X-Pro. I also wanted to take advantage of the promotion they have on multiple lenses.

I've now got my sights set on either the 14mm f2.8 or the upcoming 16mm f1.4 for my next purchase, then there's the 90mm f2... :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
If/when Nikon bring out a D400 to go up against the 7D2, it's going to be hard to ignore. A D750/D400 setup would do for me nicely :)

D810 is more or less a 1 body solution to the D750+D400 combo.
In 1.2x and 1.5xDX crop modes you will get over 6FPS and an almost unlimited buffer. Because of the pixel density that still means you are getting 24MP or 16MP images and you don't loose out to a dedicated crop camera

The advantage is that you can go out with your wildlife/sports lens with a couple of wider lenses in the bag if you happen to see a nice house to photograph.

A D400 would net you 24MP in the APS-C area at perhaps 8FPS. That isn't a big difference for most uses.

Last edited:
Associate
A couple of photos of the actual lenses.

XF 23mm f1.4 R
33my00k.jpg

XF 56mm f1.2 R
2gtus0g.jpg

I have ordered some metal screw-on lens hoods as the plastic ones they come with are oversized and pretty ugly.

Associate
Really? The hoods on the 18 and 35 are metal!

Yes. The 18, 35 and 60 all came with the metal hoods then they switched to plastic for their newer lenses, which is a slight shame. I guess they went with function over form, but the problem was mostly down to the size for me. They almost double the size of the lenses in length when attached.

Associate
Yes. The 18, 35 and 60 all came with the metal hoods then they switched to plastic for their newer lenses, which is a slight shame. I guess they went with function over form, but the problem was mostly down to the size for me. They almost double the size of the lenses in length when attached.

For £700 lenses that's.... disappointing...

Soldato
D810 is more or less a 1 body solution to the D750+D400 combo.
In 1.2x and 1.5xDX crop modes you will get over 6FPS and an almost unlimited buffer. Because of the pixel density that still means you are getting 24MP or 16MP images and you don't loose out to a dedicated crop camera

The advantage is that you can go out with your wildlife/sports lens with a couple of wider lenses in the bag if you happen to see a nice house to photograph.

A D400 would net you 24MP in the APS-C area at perhaps 8FPS. That isn't a big difference for most uses.

A D810 I would go for over a D800, but I'd still much prefer a D750/D400 setup over a single D810 body. If I did only want a single body though a D810 would likely be it.

Caporegime
A D810 I would go for over a D800, but I'd still much prefer a D750/D400 setup over a single D810 body. If I did only want a single body though a D810 would likely be it.

There isn't a big difference between the D800 and D810. The D800 will do the same 6FPS in DX mode if you use the grip.

You can pick up a D800 for a lot less than a D750 so it is a good choice.

Caporegime
The D810 fixes the AF, the price of a D800 is getting attractive though.

What do you mean fixes the AF? The only thing the D810 has a group area focus mode, otherwise it is identical. The left focus issue was a manufacturing issue that affect some cameras in the first 6 months only, if that is what you are referring to.
The D810 is clearly the better camera but the D800 can be picked up very cheap these days which changes things a little. I don't see the price premium of the D810 over the 800 to be worth it really.

Soldato
What do you mean fixes the AF? The only thing the D810 has a group area focus mode, otherwise it is identical. The left focus issue was a manufacturing issue that affect some cameras in the first 6 months only, if that is what you are referring to.
The D810 is clearly the better camera but the D800 can be picked up very cheap these days which changes things a little. I don't see the price premium of the D810 over the 800 to be worth it really.

Professional photographers on other forums (TP & FM) who shoot action and whose work I like (field sports, motorsports, aircraft) have never been too happy with the D800 AF performance. However they are enthusiastic about the D810, which is the main reason for my interest in it. "The D810 uses the 51-point AF system from the D800/E, but the new and improved version first seen in the D4s. It now offers a Group area AF mode, producing faster lock-on and better reliability with relatively small subjects against high-contrast backgrounds." With the D750 now though and the AF system in that some are trying that out instead...

Soldato

AF is more accurate
What about highlight metering ?

Back
Top Bottom