The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I'm really liking the 5D4. The touch screen I didn't consider a buying point, but it's far more useful than I though it would be. I really like the configurable AF buttons so I can easily access different setups all on the fly. If only they could add minimum shutter speed to the setting it would be perfect.

Soldato
After a few days of research / talking to a few friends... (Maybe should have posted on here but meh...)

Canon EOS M3 with EF-M 15-45 mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens
Lexar Professional 633x 64GB SDXC UHS-I Card (fastest it supports)
Lowepro Dashpoint 30 Bag
Spudz SPBK20 10x10 Micro Fibre Lens Cloth
2 x Caps for the 49 & 43mm (should fit both lenses?)
Canon Remote Control RC-06 (Wanted for family shots / long exposure / HDR)

All en-route, maybe by weekend, probably Monday.

Decent upgrade from the Samsung WB700 :)

Soldato
After a few days of research / talking to a few friends... (Maybe should have posted on here but meh...)

Canon EOS M3 with EF-M 15-45 mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens
Lexar Professional 633x 64GB SDXC UHS-I Card (fastest it supports)
Lowepro Dashpoint 30 Bag
Spudz SPBK20 10x10 Micro Fibre Lens Cloth
2 x Caps for the 49 & 43mm (should fit both lenses?)
Canon Remote Control RC-06 (Wanted for family shots / long exposure / HDR)

All en-route, maybe by weekend, probably Monday.

Decent upgrade from the Samsung WB700 :)

Sorry but that is one of the worst mirrorless cameras you can get. There are better ones for similar money or cheaper from the likes of fuji olympus Sony Panasonic

Soldato
Fair enough, the main appeal was the pancake lens so the camera can be pocketed / carried around.

The Olympus and Sony a6000 were also considered - Image quality on the M3 seems grand though?
The lenses cheaper than Sony's. Wanted the bigger sensor for night time shots (in Scotland) vs the Olympus.

Why is it such a bad choice?

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough, the main appeal was the pancake lens so the camera can be pocketed / carried around.

The Olympus and Sony a6000 were also considered - Image quality on the M3 seems grand though?
The lenses cheaper than Sony's. Wanted the bigger sensor for night time shots (in Scotland) vs the Olympus.

Why is it such a bad choice?

It's fine and you'll get some decent images from it, its just when compared to the competition the offering is poor as is the M-Mount lens lineup though what is there is good and the EOS adaptor is pretty good to help expand the glass selection.

The issues around the m3 are it's general performance, handling, auto focus speed, ridiculously priced EVF add-on and dynamic range on the sensor as it was Canons 1st round of 24mp APS-C sensor.

Soldato
Fair enough :) I take it there ARE pancake lenses available for the Sony a6000 (my strongest 2nd choice) at a reasonable price?
I couldn't find any native ones and portability was high on the priorities for me.

Can take the zoom lens out when going for small animal shooting / highland cattle but liked the "can fit in pocket" idea for day to day use.

Soldato
Fair enough :) I take it there ARE pancake lenses available for the Sony a6000 (my strongest 2nd choice) at a reasonable price?
I couldn't find any native ones and portability was high on the priorities for me.

Can take the zoom lens out when going for small animal shooting / highland cattle but liked the "can fit in pocket" idea for day to day use.
There is a couple that are very very small. maybe just 1/2cm bigger

Associate
The 22mm F2 is a gem though. I bought the wife a first-gen EOS-M with the 22mm. Get great shots from it.

Yes there are formats with more lenses, but if the few you have do what you need, I've always seen that as a bit moot.

I mean, I love the Fuji system, but the XF lenses I don't own are hardly doing me any good....

Soldato
I'll probably get shot straight down here but I can't understand the rationale behind getting a separate 'travel' set up when you already have a high-end system.

Is the portability of a DSLR so bad that it's worth the expense and hassle of a whole separate system just for travelling with?

Don't get me wrong I appreciate it's a lot more compact and portable but personally I'd happily put up with carting a DSLR around rather than buying into a whole 'nother system.

This is an honest question btw, I'm not having a 'pop' or anything :)

Caporegime
I want to try something different and although I have taken my DSLR with me when travelling, I have frequently left it in the hotel room for the evening because I go to dinner and felt it is a bit too big for evening events. I could fit the Fuji in my coat pocket.

I purposely went with the x-pro to get something different shooting experience than the DSLR too. As opposed to the XT-1 or 2.

I can still get a Sony A7R3 when it comes out! Or A7R2 used at that point at bargain price.

Caporegime
I'll probably get shot straight down here but I can't understand the rationale behind getting a separate 'travel' set up when you already have a high-end system.

Is the portability of a DSLR so bad that it's worth the expense and hassle of a whole separate system just for travelling with?

Don't get me wrong I appreciate it's a lot more compact and portable but personally I'd happily put up with carting a DSLR around rather than buying into a whole 'nother system.

This is an honest question btw, I'm not having a 'pop' or anything :)

Size isn't everything but think this photo speaks for itself, I mean work is one thing, when you absolutely have to have the best, but for travel. You can see how convenient the Fuji can be.

6OVTly5.jpg

Soldato
I think you'll really enjoy the X-P1 so long as you give it a chance. It was my first Fuji after coming home from a trip to Malaysia where lugging my 7D around was a tiring experience. The AF wasn't the greatest, however it was substantially improved by updates during the time I used it. It's probably even better now with the new F2 lenses with their faster, more accurate focus motors. It just requires a different focusing technique, especially considering it uses only contrast detection.

I really, really wish I made the change to Fuji before I went to Malaysia because I'm positive that I'd have a lot more interesting photos for it.

Back
Top Bottom