The new military landrover replacement "The Hawkei"

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
What I'm talking about is similiar to that d3o stuff - the fabric armor mentioned above is a different application tho related technology - but used in combination can defeat penetrators including tandem charges.

Last edited:
Permabanned
st_hawkei-420x0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/national/australian-troops-offered-new-ride-the-hawkei-20090929-gaqv.html

It's an early prototype of the halo warthog I'm telling you.

Associate
I hope all these new vehicles that everyone is working on do make a difference to all the lads (and ladies) out there fighting on the front line.

Soldato
They are already using 500lb and upwards IEDs, there is quite simply nothing that can withstand that size of blast hence the number of KIA due to IEDs rising over the past year or so.

There is a sliding scale of where a vehicle can be:

Manoeuvrability/Visibility/Ease of use -----> Weight/Protection

Chuck in the fact that you now need a more powerful engine to do the same work as weight goes up and that entering/exiting a vehicle designed to resist blasts is not likely to be as convenient as one which isn't.

That thing clocks in at 7 tonnes? The Land Rover Wolf is 1.6 tonnes. You can see it's moved along the scale a fair bit.

Only so far you can armour a patrol vehicle before a tank starts looking preferable and tanks are pretty rubbish patrol vehicles. Awful visibility unless someone's sticking their noggin out the hatch which leaves him with very little protection.

Oh well. Media will now grab an even more armoured vehicle to demand as an upgrade when it turns out the armoured vehicle they banged the soapbox for still gets blown up by an IED the size of an oil drum.

Soldato
You arnt buying them:p

The yank things with the V hull people are on about are the Cougar and Buffalo IIRC

14.5 tonnes and 20.56 to 36 tonnes apiece. Rawr. Can hear the roads cracking already.

Stil the OP was about a patrol vehicle, armoured trucks hardly class as that.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
14.5 tonnes and 20.56 to 36 tonnes apiece. Rawr. Can hear the roads cracking already.

Stil the OP was about a patrol vehicle, armoured trucks hardly class as that.

Indeed:)

There are 2 otehrs in the running aswell.

One a German Company possibly using the Old Adelaide Mitsubitshi plant and Another thing being made in the US which Australia Put in $40 million into a few years back

Back
Top Bottom