The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Associate
The popping goes away after a few months of usage. Do any owners who have had a G9 screen for 6+ months still get popping? I would be surprised if so...

I've had mine for about 7 months. It's really funny, I genuinely thought it had stopped popping, but when I read your comment and sat and listened, it does still do it. I must have just got used to it and been ignoring it.
To be honest, from what I've read so far the biggest disappointment with the Neo sounds like the HDR support, which should be it's biggest strength. I imagine that they should be able to to fix it with drivers/firmware etc though.

I have to say, I have had all the other issues that people complain about with my G9 (scanlines etc.), but it doesn't bother me and I'd still buy one again. For me, it's just by far the best screen. Does need more connections though!

Permabanned
What hdr mode are you using. I don’t find it that bright on standard. Not seen any dimming on that mode. Not really tried dynamic as the colour are too off.

Im using HDR dynamic.
Weird in halo mcc and destiny 2 if i switch to the quests then go to destination" it goes really bright , not sure how bright it can get but it should be brighter, then goes dark after 3 seconds.
Really disappointed with all these issues.

Associate
Im using HDR dynamic.
Weird in halo mcc and destiny 2 if i switch to the quests then go to destination" it goes really bright , not sure how bright it can get but it should be brighter, then goes dark after 3 seconds.

Yeah there was a review where it said that using dynamic mode the peak brightness hits over 2000 nit brightness before it begins to dim. Think it was the hardware unboxed video actually which you can find earlier in the thread.

Caporegime
Im using HDR dynamic.

I think the issue seems to be that it really isnt a 2000 nit bright screen and can only do it in odd bursts which is why standard HDR works much better for most people as its consistent albeit maxing out at 800 nits

Permabanned
Yeah there was a review where it said that using dynamic mode the peak brightness hits over 2000 nit brightness before it begins to dim. Think it was the hardware unboxed video actually which you can find earlier in the thread.

Im hoping for a firmware update that will fix this.Your right others are experiencing the same issues.

Associate
Hmm, can anyone else with visible scanlines verify if they can see them at 120hz too? Seems to be much more noticeable when adaptive sync is off...

Associate
Still looking around for super ultra wide 49” that offers 5120x1440, >=120hz.

I don’t see that many options. Thinking perhaps an option is the OG G9, hoping to score a decent panel at decent price and save a packet over the Neo. Anyone considering the same? Any alternatives I’ve missed?

Associate
You also need the upgraded HX Heavy Duty pivot for the arm, which makes the whole thing over £300! It does look good on an arm though. But it also looks fine on the stand that comes with it... for £300 you could probably get a bigger/better desk and a new chair!
£270. I do need to raise the monitor because I get neck problems which is also why I already have an expensive ergonomic gaming chair. I thought about making a monitor stand because I couldn't find any available one big enough and obviously strong enough, but I also want to reduce wobble a bit (I'm getting the wall mount arm) and I want to be able to move the monitor easily in order to access the PC for maintenance. A bigger desk is not really an option without a new room and that means a new house. But I have spent silly money on my new PC set-up - hopefully it will end soon.

Associate
One compensation about being old is that I'm not sure I could see scanlines if they were there and I certainly get no benefit from 240Hz. But the clarity of this Neo G9 is good. I came from a 1920 x 1080 27" monitor so I thought I might need to set the scaling for the G9 but I have it at 100% and I can read text better than the older monitor.

One thing I'm having to get used to is the effect of peripheral vision during gaming. It reminds me of using the NVIDIA 3D glasses. Just a weird feeling - my brain trying to work out what's going on.

Associate
£270. I do need to raise the monitor because I get neck problems which is also why I already have an expensive ergonomic gaming chair. I thought about making a monitor stand because I couldn't find any available one big enough and obviously strong enough, but I also want to reduce wobble a bit (I'm getting the wall mount arm) and I want to be able to move the monitor easily in order to access the PC for maintenance. A bigger desk is not really an option without a new room and that means a new house. But I have spent silly money on my new PC set-up - hopefully it will end soon.

True. We are all just continually chasing the dragon. It wont ever end! Game is rigged in a way that it's impossible.

One compensation about being old is that I'm not sure I could see scanlines if they were there and I certainly get no benefit from 240Hz. But the clarity of this Neo G9 is good. I came from a 1920 x 1080 27" monitor so I thought I might need to set the scaling for the G9 but I have it at 100% and I can read text better than the older monitor.

One thing I'm having to get used to is the effect of peripheral vision during gaming. It reminds me of using the NVIDIA 3D glasses. Just a weird feeling - my brain trying to work out what's going on.

You could argue that this screen means a lot of extra pixels are being rendered in games which aren't all that useful. Still love ultrawides though!

Permabanned
Played through a session of halo mcc, screen went bright 4 times for a duraction of 4 seconds each then dimms out.
HDR going on off all over the place.
That being said when quite a bright screen it looks phenomenal/.

Last edited:
Associate
Played through a session of halo mcc, screen went bright 4 times for a duraction of 4 seconds each then dimms out.
HDR going on off all over the place.
That being said when quite a bright screen it looks phenomenal/.

Hopefully dynamic mode will receive a fix. Not had any issues with hdr going on off. I am using a dp 1.4 cable and running at 120hz.

Back
Top Bottom