• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The NOT Buying a Graphics Card Thread!!!

Associate
I did get a graphics card

but looking at the ebay selling prices on the RX5700 I now feel bad about selling mine for £700-800 I should be happy but its based on the gloom of others

and worried if I sell it for less its just going to some knob who will them scalp others

Associate
On a side note I think it's terrible people here at OCUK forum are also buying to scalp. It's a vicious circle. Buy it for yourself and don't be part of the problem.

Associate
I stopped gaming about 6 odd years ago, through a messy divorce... my new wife is happy for me to get back into gaming, kids are adults so no suck on finances, and I have the money and wanted to build the system myself... but the state of the market it looks like unless I'm really lucky and happen onto one of the OCUK voucher deals, I don't think I could stomach paying more than 450 for a graphics card, so maybe a while longer before I can get back into gaming

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I have completely given up now, probably until next year. I refuse to pay insane prices and spend half my life trying to get a new card, so I have decided to buy two new french doors for the house instead. Well, they cost a little more than a graphics card but at least they are easier to find!

Just wondering if anyone else has given up now and decided to spend the money on something else?

Yeah I gave up a while back now. I was after a 3080 @ £649 for the FE or I would have gone to £700 for a decent AIB model. Once I saw they weren't easily available at those prices I lost all interest. I'm not sitting waiting for alerts every minute of the day because it sucks all enjoyment of upgrading. I'm not interested until I can easily get hold of one at the prices I quoted, which by the looks of it means I probably wont at all.

So I bought a Xbox series X and a PS5 instead, and now my PC is relegated to playing my older games and back catalogue. Every game going forward that's available across all platforms will be bought for console instead, so my PC will see very little investment going forward because all fun has been sucked out of that hobby.

Soldato
Nope snagged a RTX 2080ti when the RTX 3080 was released, will snag a RTX 3080 when the next gen are released. Never buying new again, same with CPU's. The only thing I'll buy new is motherboards and ram.

Associate
In October-ish i bought a new PSU and gave myself the overhead for any future upgrades as i didn't know if i would go high end GPU. It was either a rx570 at £130, or 5700xt at £400. But in the end i just waited for RDNA2, and here we are.
Rolling on a ryzen 3600 and rx460(!), with a Focus 650w. Talk about a miss mash setup xD

I do a little video editing and mostly play old games so i can live until GPUs drop down into my price bracket.

Associate
Nope snagged a RTX 2080ti when the RTX 3080 was released, will snag a RTX 3080 when the next gen are released. Never buying new again, same with CPU's. The only thing I'll buy new is motherboards and ram.

Smart move right there. I've been in one of the 3080 queues since release and probably wont get the card at all it seems. Luckily I have a 1080ti which is doing OK for now but I'm missing out on the ray tracing features :(

Associate
I nabbed an RX 6800 when Overclockers sold their stash a couple of months ago. God knows when it actually was,every day is like the previous at the moment. But it seems like a couple of months. I sold my Vega 64 for over the odds, so it lessened the sting a bit. It seams they have all gone up another couple of hundred quid since then though,which is totally bonkers!!

Soldato
This is one of the best times ever to buy a graphics card, if you can get in on a deal (e.g. and Nvidia FE card, or one of OCUK's recent promos) and currently have a 10-Series or Vega card or later that you can sell. Used cards are fetching so much that you get a cheap, free, or even a profitable upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
I nabbed an RX 6800 when Overclockers sold their stash a couple of months ago. God knows when it actually was,every day is like the previous at the moment. But it seems like a couple of months. I sold my Vega 64 for over the odds, so it lessened the sting a bit. It seams they have all gone up another couple of hundred quid since then though,which is totally bonkers!!

Similar here - had to pay well over the odds and got lucky in the 3d printer section when some were being posted in there. Got a load back by selling my Vega64 for £400 (no doubt to a miner). Just seem the same Vega card I had go for £600. It seems to be getting worse!

Back
Top Bottom