The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
At this time of year I go for light speyside/Dufftown (too many to list)/Lowland (Glenkinchie etc)/coastal types like Old Pulteney/Clynelish. I find I want the lighter fruitier tones in the hotter months.

Soldato
if you can find it the Hudson Manhattan Rye is excellent, though hard to find these days. Tastes great neat, though even that I'd find a bit heavy at this time of year.

Soldato
Any recent favourites around the £30-40 mark? I've been through the usuals (Talisker, Ardbeg, Bunnahabein, Lagavulin, etc). I've been loving the Mackmyras recently, but fancy branching out.
Benromach 10, almost at the end of my bottle. I've never yet rebought a bottle (as I prefer variety) but that one is such good value and such a good easy sipper that I'm tempted to make an exception.

Soldato
Fairly easy going. Happy to try anything.

Some ones I like:
balvenie 12
ardbeg uigeadail
tomintoul 16
Nice, some range there too.

Have you had any of these before? Under budget:
- Knockando 18
- Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
- Kavalan King Car Conductor

If there's another tenner spare, I have previously recommended the Bunnahabhain 18 in this thread as it is one of my favourites.

Soldato
i tried a cheap single from tesco, the crabbies yardhead at £22 a bottle - i got the free glass. have to say, for a cheap single its very nice.

i also got the cotswold single malt this wkend, very nice again for a £30 whisky - clubcard deal.

Permabanned
Picked up the Wee Beastie is Sainsburys. On offer for 33 if anyone's interested.

Quite like it. A little more earthy then the 10 and not as well rounded as the Bruichladdich, but still tasty and will go on the buy again list.

Permabanned
Got my dad the Arran 10 as an early father's day present. Very nice for the price I thought. If someone had given me that to try before I was a whiskey drinker then I'd have been convinced a lot sooner I think. Lovely and sweet and mellow even at 46%.

Soldato
Picked up a Caol Ila 12 (£32) and Talisker 10 (£28) from Amazon. Caol Ila worth every penny as always. The Talisker isn't the same as it was a few years back, it's much worse. Sometimes this happens though - for example the Dalmore 15 a few years back.

Aside from that I'm enjoying taking my time with my Yoichi anniversary present.

Soldato
Got my dad the Arran 10 as an early father's day present. Very nice for the price I thought. If someone had given me that to try before I was a whiskey drinker then I'd have been convinced a lot sooner I think. Lovely and sweet and mellow even at 46%.
It's a cracking drop, was looking at buying another but need to try out the Arran tasting set I have again just to make sure which one to get (I think the 10 was still my preference).

Permabanned
It's a cracking drop, was looking at buying another but need to try out the Arran tasting set I have again just to make sure which one to get (I think the 10 was still my preference).

It's definitely got me interested in trying the range out.

Have to say that I've never had a whiskey that benefitted so much from sitting in the glass. I always give a glass 10 minutes to settle, but on the first sip it tasted a little 'flat'. Given more time however it really started to open up and by the end I was getting some real character. Could have been the fabled neck pour but who knows.

I think it's likely more to do with the amount of peated whiskey I've been drinking recently. So used to the punch you get straight out of the bottle.

The Starward Ginger Beer Cask #6 is on offer at Amazon at the mo. I tried it about a month ago and really enjoyed (ginger beer being one of the greatest things human beings have ever invented), but even on offer at £88 it's a little too steep, especially considering it's only 50cl.

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
I can't actually add it to my cart...

But you'll have £21 in delivery costs (which excludes VAT), and also won't you be paying duty on top when importing it, if you're in the UK?

Good point on delivery, wipes out nearly all savings
Not familiar with my brexit terms but given I’m in NI I don’t think so

Back
Top Bottom