*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

fez

fez

Caporegime
Main issue with 4k screens on the 13" is the lack of a dGPU which the 15" solves. I moved from a 2016 13" to a base 15" and its made a huge difference. I' running 2 ultrafines at scaled resolutions along with the internal display and there are no slowdowns. Its a much nicer size to do proper work on as well.

Man of Honour
Main issue with 4k screens on the 13" is the lack of a dGPU which the 15" solves. I moved from a 2016 13" to a base 15" and its made a huge difference. I' running 2 ultrafines at scaled resolutions along with the internal display and there are no slowdowns. Its a much nicer size to do proper work on as well.
Yeah, I think the issue is as you say and the fact I am scaling. Once I run up a few VMs and have a few apps open it really does start to struggle. I'm going to see how long the 6 month contract I'm due to start ends up being and put an order in if I get the feeling that it will extend.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, I think the issue is as you say and the fact I am scaling. Once I run up a few VMs and have a few apps open it really does start to struggle. I'm going to see how long the 6 month contract I'm due to start ends up being and put an order in if I get the feeling that it will extend.

Honestly the thing that killed my CPU the most was youtube on Chrome. Thing is awful. The issue I had with the external monitors was when I tried to do anything like drag screens about, expose etc and it just ended up annoying the crap out of me.

Associate
I've never used a MacBook before but am considering giving one a try now but wondering if I'm being silly? Reading various reviews of the MacBook pro's seem to state that it's overpriced with a bad keyboard but built well otherwise and so should I hold off for now?

Essentially I've had a new baby and my wife and I are now taking lots of photos (mostly iphone / some dslr) which we'd like to be able to sync easily and edit which is the primary driving in my thinking as I know macs have a good reputation for that. I'd also need to run some spreadsheets but assume I can do that in Numbers (but haven't tried it outside of briefly on my phone). I want a laptop as I'm getting less time to spend on my desktop now but I don't really want to re-buy MS office / photoshop if I can avoid it as I've already got old versions of them on my pc but would be willing to if required.

Basically I'm wondering if getting a MacBook will give me a better experience than using a windows laptop? I wouldn't say I'm wedded to the Apple eco system but I do also have the latest ipad (not pro) which is nice but I don't use it for anything other than movies / browsing web etc. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Soldato
Compared to what...? My Macbook pro makes my top spec Surface Book 2 look like a toy tbh.

EDITed to add - following shows video conversion times on my various things.

2018-08-02times.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I previously had a Dell XPS 13 - which is a nice bit of kit but honestly I don't think it really compares to the MacBook Pro - the MPB is in a different class.

If you are willing to pay for it (it is expensive - no doubt) then I think it's worth it. On the subject of the keyboard - I find it great, by YMMV of course.

Soldato
My macbook pro 13 died so amazon gave me full refund, I have been using my sisters macbook 12 inch (2016) for time being. This keyboard sucks its like typing on table do the new macbook pro's or airbook have the same keyboard.

Associate
How did you find moving from windows to mac? Is it an easy transition?

I'm willing to spend the money to get a high spec machine with an element of 'future proofing' in mind if it's going to make for a better experience?

I'm considering: 15" model, upgraded to 1tb storage as 512gb (sounds small), keep the i7 processor (thermal issues of the i9), upgrade the ram to 32gb (future proofing) and maybe wait for the models with vega 16 / 20 graphics later this month. Is this spec overkill? I've got my pc / consoles for gaming but if upgrading the gpu allows for an occasional game then I may choose to do that.

Soldato
Hard to judge really as I've been using MacOS/OSX since about 2008! I still use Windows in Parallels however, so use Windows every single day without issue.

The thermal issues with the i9 are interesting. It's still faster than the i7, but possibly not worth the upgrade cost tbh.

I don't game, so little opinion on that.

Soldato
Didn't find issues switching then again i have been using macs since mac OS 9, its much simpler and just works really nice optimised Operating system.

Permabanned
I've never used a MacBook before but am considering giving one a try now but wondering if I'm being silly? Reading various reviews of the MacBook pro's seem to state that it's overpriced with a bad keyboard but built well otherwise and so should I hold off for now?

Essentially I've had a new baby and my wife and I are now taking lots of photos (mostly iphone / some dslr) which we'd like to be able to sync easily and edit which is the primary driving in my thinking as I know macs have a good reputation for that. I'd also need to run some spreadsheets but assume I can do that in Numbers (but haven't tried it outside of briefly on my phone). I want a laptop as I'm getting less time to spend on my desktop now but I don't really want to re-buy MS office / photoshop if I can avoid it as I've already got old versions of them on my pc but would be willing to if required.

Basically I'm wondering if getting a MacBook will give me a better experience than using a windows laptop? I wouldn't say I'm wedded to the Apple eco system but I do also have the latest ipad (not pro) which is nice but I don't use it for anything other than movies / browsing web etc. Any thoughts much appreciated!

I didn't like the idea of such a short travel keyboard at first... but it grew on me very quickly... it's actually a pleasure to type on, one of the best laptop keyboards I've used & it still feels nice and solid.

There were some issues with dirt getting under the keys on the previous generation, but they have fixed it in the newest model - so perhaps that is the complaint you heard of?

For the specification & when comparing to similar spec windows laptops on the market, yes, they certainly do appear overpriced.

I had one for work a couple of generations ago & loved it... tried some of the best Windows laptops around and kept wanting to come back to the MBP... both for build quality and how the OS just seems to work near-flawlessly with none of the annoying bugs that plague Windows 10. One of the benefits of a closed ecosystem hardware-wise too.

Last time I had one for work, it was used 5 days a week for 3 years & even though I'm good at taking care of my kit, other pro-grade Win laptops have shown their age after that type of use... the MBP was still solid, with no issues, strong battery life & ended up being handed off to another member of the team when I left because it was still going strong, where normally they automatically replace laptops after 3 years.

For the use you want... good for photos with well integrated cloud sync... there isn't any real competition in the market for something that already works out of the box with no real user intervention & works well.

As for spreadsheets, depends how in-depth you need to go... I find excel better for the more complex things, but Numbers is good for low-mid level complexity work, which would be more than enough for the vast majority of users. If not, there is a MacOS version of Excel that you can install from an Office 365 subscription if you have one.

Depending on which version of photoshop you have, you might be able to install it through creative cloud, otherwise contact Adobe support and they might move your license for you.

For DSLR (imagine you could import iPotato photos too), I like the Lightroom with storage subscription... because it gives a second layer of cloud sync protection for piece of mind and isn't expensive.

I'm a power user... but like using a MBP for my work and photos because it's nice to have something reliable that just works, compared to the plague of Windows 10.

Permabanned
My macbook pro 13 died so amazon gave me full refund, I have been using my sisters macbook 12 inch (2016) for time being. This keyboard sucks its like typing on table do the new macbook pro's or airbook have the same keyboard.
It's not quite the same... that one feels rather unpleasant to use on the 2016 MB12... the latest versions on the bigger laptops are a big improvement & I'm very picky about my keyboards.

Soldato

How did you find moving from windows to mac? Is it an easy transition?

I'm willing to spend the money to get a high spec machine with an element of 'future proofing' in mind if it's going to make for a better experience?

I'm considering: 15" model, upgraded to 1tb storage as 512gb (sounds small), keep the i7 processor (thermal issues of the i9), upgrade the ram to 32gb (future proofing) and maybe wait for the models with vega 16 / 20 graphics later this month. Is this spec overkill? I've got my pc / consoles for gaming but if upgrading the gpu allows for an occasional game then I may choose to do that.

Call me crazy but everything you have listed to me would point in the direction of a new Macbook Air rather than a Pro. The spec you have listed is complete overkill for doing a few spreadsheets and some light photo editing. You don't need the 32gb RAM (£360 upgrade) and the storage upgrade is silly money. 2TB cloud storage is £84/year vs £360 for 512gb upgrade or an external SSD for about £100.

There is no such thing as 'future proofing' and the Air is half the price. You could buy another one in 3 years when you fancy an upgrade and cost about the same as the Pro.

Sorry to be the cold face of reason.

Back
Top Bottom