*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
I have the i9 MBP - you can see a run through of it here. I'm sure it's not as fast as it could be due to the thermals, however it's still a lot faster than my previous 2017 i7 for some of my work stuff. I will say though that's because it can *run more* - (I.e. it scales sideways) rather than any specific single task performance increase if that makes sense.

Soldato
I always keep an eye on this, however regardless I'm going to buy the most recent 2018 touch bar MBP, otherwise I'll always be waiting:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

I know they used to do a release and one update a year but there doesn't seem to be any indication they will do that this year so I'm wondering weather to bite the bullet now.

Also, what would I need to get a thunderbolt 2 device working on a new mbp?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've got a 2017 13" and I've had an itch to upgrade to the 15", think I'm going to wait and see if they alter the thermal design this year.

Soldato
My i9 is about to go back.

I get crappy battery life - circa 2-2.5 hours just running safari. Also, the performance is about the same as my 2017 i7....it never even hits base clock speed. It was better when I first got it, but now it seems to be terrible.

Soldato
So I went ahead and ordered a refurb of the below (nice £410 saving):
  • 2.6GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
  • 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
I'm in a position where I could probably hold out another 6-8 months with my late 2013 but I may not be able to afford it then so thought it would be better to get it out of the way. Hopefully pro tools won't crap out on me in larger sessions anymore. :)

It's kind of annoying I have to spend close to £100 to get all my ports back but I suppose there's no real way around that.

Soldato
//Edit not sure why I quoted my own post :) Yes it's going back.

=
Appears so. Shame really - when I first got it it was performing as expected, and I couldn't really get the hate. Now...It's properly expensive for something that doesn't perform. Frustrating.

Associate
New work Mac arrived last week:

- 2.9 GHz (Core i9)
- 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
- Radeon Pro 560X
- 4TB SSD
- Space Grey

Upgrade from max spec 2015 15" rMBP. Incredible workhorse and I haven't noticed any issues with battery life so far. Not sure what you're doing with Safari to get that short battery life @MacRS4 !

Soldato
It's not just the battery life, it's the fact that the processor won't get above about 1.8Ghz. I think there's something fundamentally knackered with it tbh.

Soldato
Picked up a default top spec 2018 15" mbp from the refurb store. I haven't pushed it yet but all seems okay. There wasn't really a problem with my 2013" day to day it just struggled with big pro tools sessions so the "new gadget" feeling hasn't lasted too long. Spending £50 for a cable to get my audio interface to connect was fun though. :p

Can I add applecare anytime within the first year with a refurb just as with a normal purchase?

Commissario
I added AppleCare a couple of weeks ago (purchased mine in August). No joke, it took me a good 30-40 mins on the phone to get it purchased and set up - I must've got through to a newbie who wasn't sure what he was doing.

Back
Top Bottom