*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Caporegime
Finally got round to getting a new MBP last week, still waiting for it to arrive. Apparently it’s coming direct from China because it’s a custom order (13”, 512GB and 16GB of ram). Anyone else had this? Last time I got a “custom” Air it was available in the shop!

Soldato
VB is a decent product but if you are using a Windows VM Parallels is worth the money.

I have tried parallels, fusion and virtual box.

parallels is user friendly/good but they charge on each release. I was left without being able to access my VM after and update required an additional licence.

Fusion is more server side dependable.

Virtual box i use for Ubuntu Linux development and it works great. Not the same standard as the above but works well for development.

Soldato
Perhaps more interesting is that there's supposedly some tweaks to the keyboard with the 2019 ones. Will be interesting to see if they've finally nailed that stupid problem.

Also I'm happy to see Apple have finally expanded the Keyboard Service Program (the 4 year keyboard warranty) to the 2018 models: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

Though the fact the 2019 model is also listed there doesn't particularly inspire me with confidence.

Soldato
Perhaps more interesting is that there's supposedly some tweaks to the keyboard with the 2019 ones. Will be interesting to see if they've finally nailed that stupid problem.

Also I'm happy to see Apple have finally expanded the Keyboard Service Program (the 4 year keyboard warranty) to the 2018 models: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

Though the fact the 2019 model is also listed there doesn't particularly inspire me with confidence.
Why dont they just get rid of that stupid keyboard? clearly it cant be fixed as its a design issue and needs to be completely redesigned , not tweaked..

Man of Honour
I'd imagine it's due to the keyboard being designed for the chassis, so no new chassis, they are going to keep trying to fix it until a new chassis is ready.

Soldato
2016 mbp display QP for “stage lighting” issue. 13” only.

wonder why the 2017 model isn’t included as it uses a very similar design - iirc it’s only the 2018s which have a longer flex.

Man of Honour
I've been given a Lenovo Yoga for work, it's pretty crap. The touchpad especially is so bloody sensitive and not intuitive to use at all. Wish I could just use my MacBook!

Man of Honour
I got my new one through work on Tuesday - i7 2.2 Ghz (base 6 core I believe), 32 GB RAM and a 1 TB SSD. It's a great upgrade over my previous 2017 13". Getting used to the size of it when it's not in a dock however the extra screen estate is most welcome.

The stock was bought back in March so it's a 2018 model and not the newer 2019 one, however it was free so I'm sure I'll manage. :)

Man of Honour
Has anyone had their top cover replaced (replacing the keyboard too)? If so, how long does it take? Mine is under enterprise support and Apple have arranged IBM to come to my house to replace it. It'd be nice to have an idea how long they'll be here for so I can put it in my work diary. It's a 2018 15".

Soldato
Has anyone had their top cover replaced (replacing the keyboard too)? If so, how long does it take? Mine is under enterprise support and Apple have arranged IBM to come to my house to replace it. It'd be nice to have an idea how long they'll be here for so I can put it in my work diary. It's a 2018 15".

It's a 30 min job, though they will want to carry out diagnostics after which can take a good couple of hours.

Soldato
Ordered a base model 13" Pro for my wife to do college stuff on. It's coming today and I'm looking forward to seeing how nice a piece of kit it is.

Really the base model Air would have done, but I kept looking at the dual core CPU and thinking it won't last anything like as long as the Pro. The plan is for the laptop to last 5 years, so hopefully the extra outlay was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom