*** The official 2019 MacBook Pro thread (it has eight cores and everything!) ***

Associate
I kinda want one... but I'm not going to jump yet. It would be a company expense so VAT-free - I use my existing macbook for work every day, and it's now six years old. But it's still pricey.

OTOH it's got a re-jigged keyboard, an escape key, a Navi chip (with an 8GB option on the 5500M, something out of spec according to AMD's website) and is all sorts of shiny. Do I jump or hold out for a refresh of the 13-incher with the same updated keyboard tech?

Soldato
Do I jump or hold out for a refresh of the 13-incher with the same updated keyboard tech?

I'm kind of torn as I'd prefer a 13" laptop but the spec of this is pretty nice and I'm glad they've (hopefully) finally fixed the keyboard.

Not sure as if they add this keyboard to an updated 13" MacBook Pro that would probably be better for my needs as 16" is still quite a large form factor for a laptop.

I'm sure it'll be a lovely thing though. It'd need to be for the money but at least the on paper the entry spec is decent having an i7 with 16gb and a Navi GPU.

Associate
I'm kind of torn as I'd prefer a 13" laptop ... the entry spec is decent having an i7 with 16gb and a Navi GPU.

Yeah pretty much my thinking. But I'd be tempted to push the price up by going for the 5500M rather than the base 5300M, and I'd probably want 32GB of system RAM and there seems like no point getting *half* a TB of storage ... and then all of a sudden you're over £3K even on 'just' the i7 model.

Gonna try to hold fire for a 13".

Soldato
Oh Yeh i9 version not sure many ppl would buy the base model tbf
Dunno, I bet 80% of sales are on the base model but not sure if there are any stats around. Just my thoughts :(

On the old 15" there wasn't much real world difference between the 6 core and the 8 core, hopefully there will be with this new cooling system on the 16"?

Soldato
I'd want to see benchmarks to know how much of a difference the i7 to i9 CPU and AMD 5300M to 5500M upgrades provide before saying whether the upgraded model is worth the extra. I doubt there'll be much of a difference between these chips.

My first inclinations regarding spec would be to buy the base model with the upgraded 1Tb SSD as I'd want to use boot camp and cons

So for me the question would be is the i9 and 5500M worth £220 extra ?

hopefully there will be with this new cooling system on the 16"?

There is a new cooling solution fitted to the 16" MacBook so it'll definitely be intriguing to see how it compares to the previous model which clearly had thermal throttling issues especially with the i9 CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am tempted. I've got a 15" 2018 MBP and I've had to have the keyboard replaced already so even with the extended warranty for keyboard issues I view it as a bit of a ticking time bomb. However it seems the value of these has tanked quite significantly, so the extra outlay probably doesn't justify the change. Annoying.

Back
Top Bottom