Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Can you direct link? I've only seen the one where there's a £150 trade in for any laptop
I traded in my pixel 2 xl which got me £60 + the £150 trade in. I then got them to price match a website called itechs.uk(seems dodgy website but worth a try). Ymmv depending on who you get in store but I got lucky enough.

Soldato
I traded in my pixel 2 xl which got me £60 + the £150 trade in. I then got them to price match a website called itechs.uk(seems dodgy website but worth a try). Ymmv depending on who you get in store but I got lucky enough.

I didn't know you could trade in mobiles with them

Soldato
I didn't know you could trade in mobiles with them
Yea, took me 2 stores to find a member of staff that was willing to do the trade in + price match.
First store looked at the phone and offered me £10 when I could get £60 cash from CEX and just use an old eligible mobile/tablet for the trade in.

So far so good, still trying to navigate my way around MacOS. Any tips and tricks out there I should read about.

Associate
Bought a base spec M1 MacBook Air to replace our 7 year old windows laptop.

Trying to get my head around the AppleCare+ option. There’s no excess on the 3 year warranty is there? You pay £189 and that’s it?

You only pay an excess for the accidental damage… which would be covered on our home insurance.

I’m in two minds wether to get it or not. Our last laptop lasted 7 years (3rd gen i5 and 4gb ram) and would *hope* that theAir will come close to that.

I did my own upgrades on our old laptop but it’d be impossible with the Air.

99% sure my home insurance won’t cover product breakdown.

Soldato
Bought a base spec M1 MacBook Air to replace our 7 year old windows laptop.

Trying to get my head around the AppleCare+ option. There’s no excess on the 3 year warranty is there? You pay £189 and that’s it?

You only pay an excess for the accidental damage… which would be covered on our home insurance.

I’m in two minds wether to get it or not. Our last laptop lasted 7 years (3rd gen i5 and 4gb ram) and would *hope* that theAir will come close to that.

I did my own upgrades on our old laptop but it’d be impossible with the Air.

99% sure my home insurance won’t cover product breakdown.

You need to factor in the increased premium on home insurance and also the excess fee.
Also it takes multiple trips usually (Store - get a quote - insurance - store - send it away
(Almost all stores do most mac repair at a repair centre now) - collect

whereas with apple care you know the price and skip right to getting it sorted

Soldato
Just consider that most common Mac faults have been really well documented in the past (e.g. flex gate, keyboards) and will likely be covered under consumer law.

AppleCare is a bit like phone insurance, most people who pay in never use it and subsidise the repairs for those who do.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just consider that most common Mac faults have been really well documented in the past (e.g. flex gate, keyboards) and will likely be covered under consumer law.

The only problem here is that apple stick their fingers in their ears for years before admitting a problem even if thousands of people have the problem. They will lie and deny it until it comes from head office that its subject to a recall or free fix/replacement.

Associate
I see that it was discussed briefly on the previous pages (in July) but is now a bad time to buy a macbook air M1? Macrumors says "caution" but it seems like they won't be updating them until mid 2022? I get 6% off through my employer which takes the edge off a little - £939.

Soldato
I see that it was discussed briefly on the previous pages (in July) but is now a bad time to buy a macbook air M1? Macrumors says "caution" but it seems like they won't be updating them until mid 2022? I get 6% off through my employer which takes the edge off a little - £939.

You can get it cheaper than that from most big retailers. Or direct from Apple as a refurb (which is basically brand new when it’s official Apple) for £849.

Associate
You can get it cheaper than that from most big retailers. Or direct from Apple as a refurb (which is basically brand new when it’s official Apple) for £849.

I did see that refurb one, but it’s gold, which is a bit yuck. I do feel slightly silly for missing that they’re cheaper from a lot of big retailers as you say. Doh. £899 from a couple I won’t name. Cheers.

Soldato
They restock the refurbs every few days, if you check daily at 7am it won’t be long before all colours are available.

I think it’s still a pretty safe buy. Highly unlikely they’ll replace it soon, they’ll be focused on the MacBook Pro’s and replacing further intel models.

Associate
I paid £805 from Very. Open a credit account, select BuyNowPayLater (12 months) for a further 10% off of their promo price (with a publicly available discount code). It was £889 last week, but £929 for the base model now. Still a healthy saving to be had. :) You can clear the finance as early as you like.

Soldato
£830 for the base Air on the Edu Store... Tempting.

Any heavy Linux users here? I've never owned a Mac, or even used one. I switched to a Chromebook as I needed to get rid of my PC tower.

Just went to my parents house and my Dad asked me to install Ubuntu for him, and going into the terminal and just typing a few lines to update all the software is a god send.

I've watched a few videos on Homebrew and it looks 'similar'

Last edited:
Soldato
Linux is still in alpha testing on M1 Macs if you're thinking about installing it. MacOS is pretty controllable via the Terminal but it's not Linux. Having said that, one of my pals lives in Vi and he has a MBP.

Back
Top Bottom