Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Are these built to order?

Since ordering on saturday i got a notification saying it has now been dispatched and the current location is China. would have thought they would have some stock a bit closer?
Not complaining, just curious.

Soldato
Quick simple question from Non Mac user.

I see you have to manually enable right click in settings so it got me wondering.

When using a mouse with 5 buttons do they are work as they do in Windows/Linux.

(eg) Can I go to previous pages in Chrome using the back button on the side of my mouse

Soldato
When using a mouse with 5 buttons do they are work as they do in Windows/Linux.

(eg) Can I go to previous pages in Chrome using the back button on the side of my mouse

I have an MX3 mouse and had to map all those functions in the Logitech software. Maybe there's a way for non-logitech mice, but that was the only model I had to test on.

Don
Could one of you little apple geniuses offer a bit of advice. I'm looking at replacing my 5 year old Dell XPS 15 and I'm considering stepping over into the dark side and getting a MacBook but don't know where to start. To say I have no idea about anything computer related will be an understatement so any advice on which model and specs best suit my needs would be great.

It'll be used primarily for work but nothing too demanding - the heaviest load will be having a few excel, word and pdf's open at once while browsing the web. The closest thing to a game that I'll play would be football manager. Other than that it'll be netflix, youtube and twitch and all the usual stuff. My uninformed opinion is the Air will probably handle everything I need it for but coming from a 15 inch XPS, the smaller display is slightly concerning. The 16 inch Pro is probably overkill for what I need too. I've read that a 14 inch Pro could on the way which might be a happy medium for me?

Soldato
I think you have answered your own question, Macbook air will do everything you need. Strong argument the base model with 8GB Ram is enough for most people.

If you are not sure order from Apple and you can play around with it for 2 weeks with a no hassle returns policy. I've done this numerous times, I know @Feek also does this with Apple products.

Soldato
The 14" Pro might not be cheap, since it's rumoured to have an improved display and improved SoC. Apple may bump up the pricing to compensate.

Strong argument the base model with 8GB Ram is enough for most people.

There's a strong argument that 8Gb RAM is enough for most people now. Personally I think the base specs have been set deliberately low, and in not many years 16Gb will be required for smooth operation. The 256Gb base SSD will no doubt become a hassle to manage at upgrade time as well.

EDIT - and do Apple flag you up if you keep buying stuff to try and then returning it?

Last edited:
Soldato
The 14" Pro might not be cheap, since it's rumoured to have an improved display and improved SoC. Apple may bump up the pricing to compensate.

There's a strong argument that 8Gb RAM is enough for most people now. Personally I think the base specs have been set deliberately low, and in not many years 16Gb will be required for smooth operation. The 256Gb base SSD will no doubt become a hassle to manage at upgrade time as well.

EDIT - and do Apple flag you up if you keep buying stuff to try and then returning it?
We’ve got a MacBook Pro with 8 gig of ram and 128 SSD no slowdowns here.

I must have used it maybe 5 or 6 times over maybe 5 years no problems for me.

Soldato
The new 14” MBP if it ever comes out will just replace the higher end Intel models still being sold and the existing 13” will carry on at its existing price point.

Don
That clears everything up. The entry level Air may or may not be enough and the 14" Pro might not arrive but if it does could be much more expensive :o

I'm in no hurry so I'll see if I can get my hands on an Air to see whether I could live with the smaller screen and then take it from there.

Soldato
That clears everything up. The entry level Air may or may not be enough and the 14" Pro might not arrive but if it does could be much more expensive :o

I'm in no hurry so I'll see if I can get my hands on an Air to see whether I could live with the smaller screen and then take it from there.

If you want to cut costs, consider a Chromebook. I've been using one for 7 months and it's been fantastic. The only reason I'm wanting to let mine go is to run VSCode.

Don
If you want to cut costs, consider a Chromebook. I've been using one for 7 months and it's been fantastic. The only reason I'm wanting to let mine go is to run VSCode.
Price isn't a decisive factor, if it's worth paying the extra for then I'm happy to pay it. I'll be putting it through my business so I'll getting the vat back and the amount will come off my profit so I'll be saving a bit there.

I was looking at another XPS as I like the build quality and premium feel (and whatever I get I plan on keeping for the long term) but the battery on the MacBooks caught my eye.

Commissario
OP

Buy it. Try it for ten days and send it back for a full refund if you don’t like it.

Soldato
I'll go into a store and play about with 1 first and if it passes the first test I might just do that.

That's what I did today, went in and had a play for 15 minutes but it wasn't enough as I haven't used MacOS before.

Any advantage buying straight from Apple? I can get it cheaper from EDUStore

Soldato
The fourteen day no quibble, no question return policy.

But that is true with most online stores due to DSR, no?

So you're saying I could buy go to the Apple store, try it for 13 days, charge it over 30 times, completely hammer the SSD and then return it for a full refund on day 14?

Soldato
From what I've heard, if you were to experience an issue early on they're a lot more likely to just deal with it then and there if the device was purchased directly from them. My MBP was certainly an effortless Genius bar appointment. Although whether that holds true everywhere, I couldn't say.

Back
Top Bottom