Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
But that is true with most online stores due to DSR, no?

DSR doesn't cover you to use the device, it enables you to open the shipping carton and inspect what they sent you. If you want to return it you have to send the goods in as new condition so they can re-sell them to someone else as new. Retailers may choose to go beyond this but that is your statutory rights.

Applies 14 day policy is a genuine no questions asked, use it as much as you like return policy. Even on stuff like AirPods etc.

Man of Honour
Could one of you little apple geniuses offer a bit of advice. I'm looking at replacing my 5 year old Dell XPS 15 and I'm considering stepping over into the dark side and getting a MacBook but don't know where to start. To say I have no idea about anything computer related will be an understatement so any advice on which model and specs best suit my needs would be great.

It'll be used primarily for work but nothing too demanding - the heaviest load will be having a few excel, word and pdf's open at once while browsing the web. The closest thing to a game that I'll play would be football manager. Other than that it'll be netflix, youtube and twitch and all the usual stuff. My uninformed opinion is the Air will probably handle everything I need it for but coming from a 15 inch XPS, the smaller display is slightly concerning. The 16 inch Pro is probably overkill for what I need too. I've read that a 14 inch Pro could on the way which might be a happy medium for me?
I have the base M1 Air and use It for all you do (and more) and it's never struggled. The display is small, but it's perfect for me and I can always use an external monitor with ease.

Soldato
Just a quick Time Machine question form a potential new Mac user.

Can I buy 1 large external drive that myself and my partner could use on seperate Mac's as a time machine back up?
Can this HDD be used for other things? To share pictures on, etc?
Can you password lock folders?

Man of Honour
Can I buy 1 large external drive that myself and my partner could use on seperate Mac's as a time machine back up?

Yes, it will create a separate folder per Mac.

Can this HDD be used for other things? To share pictures on, etc?

Yes, it will show up in Finder as an external drive like any other.

Can you password lock folders?

I don't think you can, not natively anyway. You could create encrypted Volumes which you mount and password protect them. The other option is an encrypted compressed file but it requires CLI to create.

Soldato
I used to hate the thought of a dongle but when you think about it, it would just sit on your desk so what's the Biggie.

Go mobile with just the laptop and then when home, 1 cable to plug in and you've got an external monitor, external store, KB and Mouse etc

Caporegime
Thanks. :)

Why are so many Apple products designed to run at a 60Hz refresh rate? My main monitor is 170Hz and there's no way I'd want to revert back to a 60Hz experience. I think that's the only significant thing that puts me off getting the Air.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my macbook air m1 yesterday and hooked it up to a dell monitor, it displayed the screen for about 2 seconds before going blank. Unplugging and restarting the mac didn’t do anything. Luckily i have a hdmi port on my usb c adapter and that worked fine. Anyone know why display port is playing up?

Soldato
nope, after initially working for a few seconds using display port it just stopped and i couldn’t get it working again. No problems with hdmi though so thats fine.

The Mac won't power an external monitor while you have the lid up, unless you also have a power cable plugged into the laptop.

Soldato
Anyone getting little electric shocks off their Macbook Air M1?

Mine is just running on battery, it isn't plugged in and I get little shocks from the bottom left hand corner, right where I wrest my wrist when I'm typing!

Associate
I can't decide.

Head and literally every YouTube video says to get the M1 Air, yet I've currently got a 2013 Air so feel it would be a case of same old.

Yet the heart is saying get the Pro.

Back
Top Bottom