Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Has anyone suffered deteriorating performance with the M1 Air? I noticed yesterday that my Windows 11 VM was running really poor, however it's the whole OS that runs poor when the VM is on (via Parallels).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure what was going on then, I deleted the original Win 11 VM I had and made a new one. CPU on it was pinned at 100% for a good 15 minutes before things finally calmed down. It's running much better now but nowhere near as snappy that I remember it running.

Man of Honour
There's something wrong with it, I am getting random sluggishness when just browsing the web or watching Twitch, things it used to just fly through. I'm tempted to try a clean build and then speak to Apple if it persists.

Edit, did a hard power off (as it was not responding) and it's been perfect since. Not really sure what on earth was going on.

Last edited:
Soldato
With our house purchase falling through and looking like we'll be at her parents for a few more months, I was thinking of getting a lot of my tech purchases "over with". However, the rumours for both the MacBook Air and iPhone 14 are looking pretty good so I'm thinking of holding out for the new releases. I don't need the new stuff yet.

That said, I know the current MBA would be enough for a good few years yet so I'm a bit torn :D

Associate
With our house purchase falling through and looking like we'll be at her parents for a few more months, I was thinking of getting a lot of my tech purchases "over with". However, the rumours for both the MacBook Air and iPhone 14 are looking pretty good so I'm thinking of holding out for the new releases. I don't need the new stuff yet.

That said, I know the current MBA would be enough for a good few years yet so I'm a bit torn :D

Go for it. There'll always be something new and shiny less than 12 months away! :D

Soldato

Just buy them now. The iPhone is well over 6 months away, it’s just the SE that’s reported to be coming out soon.

There is always better and faster coming out right around the corner.

Soldato
Go for it. There'll always be something new and shiny less than 12 months away! :D

Just buy them now. The iPhone is well over 6 months away, it’s just the SE that’s reported to be coming out soon.

There is always better and faster coming out right around the corner.

Both true - however the current MBA is very close in design to my late-2013 MBP, and the iPhone 13, aside from the newer body, is also very close in design to my XS. The iPhone 14 rumours of switching to a hole punch camera and Face ID under the display is looking like a nice change, and the MBA is looking to be like a design based on the 14/16 MBP so... I hate these decisions :p

Soldato
They may look the same the difference in performance will be massive, especially on the MBA.

Yeh, I wouldn’t base upgrades based on form factor. I still use my 2014 MBP, it’s still perfect for what I need it for. I’m only going to upgrade it when it’s basically falling apart - which it isn’t it looks like brand new. Wouldn’t matter if they completely redesigned the next one or looked exactly the same when upgrade time comes.

Associate
So I picked up the M1 Air last week. Absolutely love the machine. It’s quick, silent and the battery life is amazing. I was initially concerned about 8gb ram but it’s been perfect, I mainly use Xcode on it as I’m learning to develop, have safari with YouTube etc running with no problems or slowdowns. Do people take out applecare? I’ve never taken it out for any of my iPhones but I think more can probably go wrong with a MacBook which probably will make it sound investment. In any case anyone sitting on the fence I recommend getting it.

Soldato
Eh? I've never had to pay an excess when I've had something replaced under Applecare :confused:
Common scenarios I said, broken screen or accidental damage there are excesses to pay. When I checked the T&C's for my new MacBook yesterday they were stated.

If I am wrong please tell me as I may take AppleCare out, maybe I misunderstood the terms.

Commissario
Accidental damage, yup that makes sense then for there to be an excess. I have it in the event of a failure that's not my fault.

Soldato
Accidental damage and theft/loss is basically an insurance product, so it has an excess. The extended warranty part of AppleCare isn't insurance, so no excess.

Back
Top Bottom