Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Don
Official thread for the new 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pros.

New Macbook Pros for 2021 with M1 Pro and M1 Max CPUs.

hlJGq7q.jpg

The highlights:

Up to 10 CPU cores (8 x performance and 2 x efficiency)
Up to 32 GPU cores (M1 Max only)
Up to 64GB RAM
Up to 8TB SSD
It has ports; SD, thunderbolt, MagSafe

Two sizes - 14" and 16" both with mini LED 120Hz ProMotion displays.

Touchbar is GONE

14" base configuration is £1899 with the following spec:
8 core CPU
14 core GPU
16GB RAM
512GB SSD

Rising to £5799 with the following spec:
10 core CPU
32 core GPU
64GB RAM
8TB SSD

16" base configuration is £2399 with the following spec:
10 core CPU
16 core GPU
16GB RAM
512GB SSD

Rising to £5899 with the same spec as the top 14"

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually ordered without seeing how the MagSafe works. Hopefully you can still use USB PD as well as that’s much easier when travelling with a bunch of other stuff that also uses USB-C

Don
OP
The thing I'm most looking forward to is MagSafe. I've been using a USB-C magnetic dongle thingie on my 13" to replicate it but that takes me down to a single USB-C port available.

Caporegime
Will I ever be able to play mainstream games on them? If I could then I would buy one in an instant :(

The new Macbooks are very impressive.

Got to wait for benchmarks, but if the Max is as good as they claim....I suspect it might be okay at medium settings for HD at 30fps? Which considering this will be running Steam, through Rosetta translating.

Soldato
Typing on a MBP with Touch Bar, the infamous dodgy keyboard and no MagSafe.

This thing will be collectible :p lol
It's crazy how they are bigging up what are essentially their failures.

"We've introduced function keys because they are popular with pros!" - yes, only because you messed up removing them in the first place :D

Same for HDMI, SD card, Magsafe...

Soldato
It's crazy how they are bigging up what are essentially their failures.

"We've introduced function keys because they are popular with pros!" - yes, only because you messed up removing them in the first place :D

Same for HDMI, SD card, Magsafe...

They made it sound like they've done some crazy innovations, they've just cleaned up their own mess.

Don
OP
Got to wait for benchmarks, but if the Max is as good as they claim....I suspect it might be okay at medium settings for HD at 30fps? Which considering this will be running Steam, through Rosetta translating.

It will be a lot faster than that. The M1 with 8 GPU cores it already at GTX1650 levels of performance.

Soldato

It's the lack of native support that still puts me off but I know that's down to developers. I mean the XSX is doing a great job on the gaming front but it would be nice to play things like New World for instance or games like Warzone etc etc (ignoring rampant cheating right now). There is always that question of will it work.

I guess this will come with time but like you say the Steam news is a very positive step forward!

Soldato
It's the lack of native support that still puts me off but I know that's down to developers. I mean the XSX is doing a great job on the gaming front but it would be nice to play things like New World for instance or games like Warzone etc etc (ignoring rampant cheating right now). There is always that question of will it work.

I guess this will come with time but like you say the Steam news is a very positive step forward!

As long as the game is metal the effect of emulation through Rosetta is minimal, assuming it's not some CPU heavy title like CIV. GPU processes through Rosetta is passed down natively, there will be no emulation.

Back
Top Bottom