Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I have a 10 core/32 Core GPU/64GB/2TB unit coming. Have an M1 mini kicking about I’ve not really given a chance. Too tied into x86 Windows for the day job. Still braining how to deal with that. Should just use our massive work farm BUT it takes an age setting stuff up through our processes & procedures. So much easier just to stand up what I need on my own kit.

Have a couple of i7/64GB Mac Minis currently in service for that. Not sure that’s a long term solution! Still. Nice problem to have I guess.

Don
OP
Thinking about GPU performance:
The 16" has roughly double the resolution of the 13" M1 Pros (4Mpx vs 7.7Mpx) and has double the number of GPU cores (assuming the 16 core one). So, expecting about the same frame rates at native resolution.
The 14" has roughly 50% higher resolution than the 13" M1 Pros (4Mpx vs 6Mpx) and has 50% more GPU cores (assuming the 14 core one). Again, expecting the same frame rates at native resolution.

Soldato
Thinking about GPU performance:
The 16" has roughly double the resolution of the 13" M1 Pros (4Mpx vs 7.7Mpx) and has double the number of GPU cores (assuming the 16 core one). So, expecting about the same frame rates at native resolution.
The 14" has roughly 50% higher resolution than the 13" M1 Pros (4Mpx vs 6Mpx) and has 50% more GPU cores (assuming the 14 core one). Again, expecting the same frame rates at native resolution.
You wouldn't want to run games at native res though :)

Soldato
Interesting the HDMI port is 2.0 rather than 2.1 :eek:
Watch out for faceID, center stage and HDMI 2.1 next year for sure :cry:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Cant wait to see the reviews on these, who are some good youtubers who will really get deep into the performance numbers and stuff?

Its all well and good seeing your typical american apple fanboy talk about how great it is just spouting the same "2x quicker" numbers that Apple does, but is there anyone who will really take it through its paces and go into proper detail on how good it performs vs AMD/intel etc..

Soldato
Cant wait to see the reviews on these, who are some good youtubers who will really get deep into the performance numbers and stuff?

Its all well and good seeing your typical american apple fanboy talk about how great it is just spouting the same "2x quicker" numbers that Apple does, but is there anyone who will really take it through its paces and go into proper detail on how good it performs vs AMD/intel etc..
MKBHD is good and videos are usually really high quality

mobiletechreview is in depth but production not quite as slick

Caporegime

Linus, MKBHD, Max Tech, Dave2D.

Soldato
MKBHD is good and videos are usually really high quality

mobiletechreview is in depth but production not quite as slick

Linus, MKBHD, Max Tech, Dave2D.

None of those (apart from Max Tech who I haven't heard of) will get really deep with performance numbers. They'll rehash the exact same information that Apple have released, put up some contrived scenario where they edit some huge 8K video on the device and then spend 10m dissing the notch to earn clicks. Linus will be a comedic video as usual, the Top Gear of YouTube Tech, Dave2D will be the least offensive and the rest just bland.

Soldato
It's because none of those has their hands on the product yet.

You need to wait a week for anyone to get real world testing, you are complaining too soon.

What are you smoking chief? I'm not complaining... I'm stating that the YouTubers you mentioned will stick to their usual modus operendi... None of those YouTubers will do any really interesting, meaningful day-to-day comparisons apart from a couple of synthetic benchmarks and unrealistic scenarios.

Couldn't care less what the overpaid morons say about the device really.

Caporegime
What are you smoking chief? I'm not complaining... I'm stating that the YouTubers you mentioned will stick to their usual modus operendi... None of those YouTubers will do any really interesting, meaningful day-to-day comparisons apart from a couple of synthetic benchmarks and unrealistic scenarios.

Couldn't care less what the overpaid morons say about the device really.

They will bench it on a 4k rendering of their video, they test battery by running it down (time lapsed). What day to day do you mean?

Surfing and email? That's just not intensive enough, if a 2min clip showing rendering kills 2% of battery, just scale it up. You don't need it to render non-stop for 5 hours. Often they will say they ran X benchmark apps after 30% and say battery % left and temp. I doubt using email will use the same level of battery.

No one can know what you use it for specifically, they can't benchmark your work, you just have to extrapolate from different videos. If they all broadly shows similar things then that's quite a few sample results for you to draw a conclusion on.

Last edited:
Soldato
They will put bench it on a 4k rendering of their video, they test battery by running it down (time lapsed). What day to day do you mean?

Surfing and email? That's just not intensive enough, if a 2min clip showing rendering kills 2% of battery, just scale it up. You don't need it to render non-stop for 5 hours.

I think you're probably being intentionally dense, but I'll go along. I'm not saying that rendering is a bad test, it's just the main one they focus on - and frankly for a huge amount of people it's irrelevant. Most people don't work off a Macbook Pro and render 8K RED RAW footage, or PRO RES footage, and then sit or as MKBHD in his latest video 'need to be able to edit 8K on the move' - I've worked with huge companies who do this, they have render farms for this reason. It's not a requirement for the editor to sit and wait whilst their laptop does it. I dare say the YouTubers test their video editing workloads well, but it's a tiny percentile of what people use it for. What about complex compilations, how does it compare compiling huge software libraries in comparison of the previous gen, what about ML/DL advantages in a real world environment in comparison to the graphs Apple provide.

There's hundreds of other scenarios which never get a mention, but if you want to think that YouTubers who exist only to get views, subscriptions and likes do a thorough test of devices and what they're capable of and actually resemble real-world Pro Users then feel free.

fez

fez

Caporegime
These are very much known quantities as much as they can be. The M1 is a marvel. There is no question when the new macbook comes out of whether it will perform like a dog under heavy load because the processors are power hungry and the chassis is too small to handle the heat.

A lot of it really isn't groundbreaking. Its a really nice screen. A 1080p webcam. What will be a really nice keyboard and a load of IO and magsafe is back. The only questions I have about the machines is how ridiculous the high end ones will be for creative professionals.

Youtubers are also putting a lot of stress through these machines no matter our feelings on their chosen profession. The good ones are big for a reason and its because they do provide solid information on these things.

Back
Top Bottom