Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
It’s really bad for me which is gutting as I love the machine it just literally makes me feel I’ll using it. Tbh I have never noticed any issues before so no idea why I’m so sensitive this time. I have an iPhone 13 pro which is meant to be really bad for it but no problems using that. Maybe it’s the frequency ?

:(

Yes it is. These are 14.8 KHz, which is quite low. Typical MacBook screens are about 120KHz. Now while MiniLEDs perform differently to PWM compared to fluorescent backlights (i.e. the numbers don't directly compare), this difference is still noticeable. When these MacBooks were released people who used previous MacBook without any issues were experiencing these problems.

Soldato
It’s a pain literally I just cannot use it without getting headaches and nausea. I’m going to have to return it which is a bugger as it’s perfect really. The screen is stunning too just not in tune with my brain…..

No idea what to replace it with.

Soldato
It’s a pain literally I just cannot use it without getting headaches and nausea. I’m going to have to return it which is a bugger as it’s perfect really. The screen is stunning too just not in tune with my brain…..

i had similar issues with the 2020 MacBook Pro I bought. Ended up returning it and buying a MacBook Air instead which didn’t have the same issue thankfully

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have a base 16” in silver coming today. It will replace my iMac which has been fantastic. I just need something I can work on in different parts of the house.

Man of Honour
Screenshot-2022-04-13-at-17-49-20.png

+ VAT. Cheaper than my partner discount and I don't think Very will get this spec in stock to make use of their 20% discount.

Man of Honour
Just realised it's 6 weeks or so, I'll cancel and wait for things to calm down and keep an eye on the refurbished store/Very plus other deals etc.

Soldato
Just realised it's 6 weeks or so, I'll cancel and wait for things to calm down and keep an eye on the refurbished store/Very plus other deals etc.

Keep the order. Once you find an alternative way of getting one, then cancel. Apple doesn't charge you until they ship.

Soldato
They had a hold on my Amex for the amount, it was showing as pending.
AFAIK that’s how they work. They’ll put the hold on just to make sure they can take payment from the card. If the payment isn’t taken within 7 days the hold will disappear - until about 48 hours before shipment.
As @HACO said, keep the order, you’ve absolutely nothing to lose from doing so.

Man of Honour
It's funny what ordering new tech does to your perception. My M1 Air has been perfectly fine but the longer I use it and wait for the 14" Pro to get here, the more I get frustrated. The screen size and some web pages (and after talking to some work colleagues who have the same use as I have, the 14" seems ideal), it only having 2 USB posts, and oddly the fact it doesn't have HDMI, when I've been using USB-C only MacBooks for a number of years. But that might be due to the fact that the DP to HDMI connector I use from my USB-C dock has started to fail.

Soldato
It's funny what ordering new tech does to your perception. My M1 Air has been perfectly fine but the longer I use it and wait for the 14" Pro to get here, the more I get frustrated. The screen size and some web pages (and after talking to some work colleagues who have the same use as I have, the 14" seems ideal), it only having 2 USB posts, and oddly the fact it doesn't have HDMI, when I've been using USB-C only MacBooks for a number of years. But that might be due to the fact that the DP to HDMI connector I use from my USB-C dock has started to fail.

I tend to suffer from the reverse, as soon as I get a new bit of tech I think of how my previous device could do absolutely everything this new one could and I didn't have to spend any more money to get it :D i am loving my 14" from work though. I've also had a USB-C screen for many years now too.

Man of Honour
I tend to suffer from the reverse, as soon as I get a new bit of tech I think of how my previous device could do absolutely everything this new one could and I didn't have to spend any more money to get it :D i am loving my 14" from work though. I've also had a USB-C screen for many years now too.
I'll be getting the 16" from work later on this year, I'm due a refresh in August. Unfortunately it will be corporate enrolled, so will end up having a load of security crap installed on it which has a history of slowing machines down, although how that affects the M CPU I don't know.

I use my gaming Alienware 38" most of the time, it doesn't have USB-C sadly. I have another Dell 4k screen which does have USB-C but it's nicer to work on the Alienware.

The Air has done me well, but I like to sit in the kitchen with it and some websites I use (vSphere, NSX etc) really don't work well unless I either change the resolution or zoom the page out (and even then it's not how I'd like it). It's an annoyance more than anything but other than that for a base spec, it's been an amazing laptop.

Back
Top Bottom