Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I just did that for my 16" and I nearly cried!
At this point your best bet is to just try and flog it on the auction site in the hope that there are still users out there who need the Intel chip for legacy s/w and bootcamp etc.

As I mentioned previously I think I'll stick with my 16" for another while and see if Monterey does anything for it.

Associate
I think you'll find there are now cavets on the product listing for certain parts of the OS that you do not get if you are running an intel Mac.

Soldato
At this point your best bet is to just try and flog it on the auction site in the hope that there are still users out there who need the Intel chip for legacy s/w and bootcamp etc.

As I mentioned previously I think I'll stick with my 16" for another while and see if Monterey does anything for it.

Yeah that was my main thought for what to do, even if I can still justify some bootcamp use my self... (and just longly dream when I've completely abandoned x86)

Associate
Well the VM picture is also still unclear. They have it working but it will be interesting to see how or even if its possible to run apps, let alone games in VM mode.

Man of Honour
I'd love a 14" or a 16" to replace my M1 Air, but even at base spec it's blisteringly fast and does everything I need. I'll wait until work give me a 16" high spec one one, albeit it'll be a managed device and have corporate security spyware software on it which at times cripples my 15" i7.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

None of those (apart from Max Tech who I haven't heard of) will get really deep with performance numbers. They'll rehash the exact same information that Apple have released, put up some contrived scenario where they edit some huge 8K video on the device and then spend 10m dissing the notch to earn clicks. Linus will be a comedic video as usual, the Top Gear of YouTube Tech, Dave2D will be the least offensive and the rest just bland.

Yeah for sure, I already follow people like MKBHD and his testing isn’t proper at all, just regurgitates whatever Apple have said and I don’t find that at all useful.

Might take a look at Max Tech as I haven’t heard of him, so hopefully he really gets into the details.

Soldato
Might take a look at Max Tech as I haven’t heard of him, so hopefully he really gets into the details.
Don't hold your breath. Max Tech is alright but they release too many videos IMO and most of them lacking any real content. He probably gets into benchmarks (and video rendering) more than any other reviewer I regularly watch so if benchmarks aren't your cup of tea then prepare to be disappointed. They also provide little-to-no real world use material.
Every reviewer has to be taken with a pinch of salt however one I would throw into the mix is Mark Ellis Reviews. He's UK based and seems to be a fairly genuine guy and an actual consumer more than a reviewer. He does have a tendency to waffle slightly now and again but I find it quite endearing and let's be honest we all waffle on some level!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'd love a 14" or a 16" to replace my M1 Air, but even at base spec it's blisteringly fast and does everything I need. I'll wait until work give me a 16" high spec one one, albeit it'll be a managed device and have corporate security spyware software on it which at times cripples my 15" i7.

They are quite amazing aren't they. Only reason I am getting the new 14" is because I quit my job a week ago and they want their laptop back.

Can't wait to see how good the monster I have ordered will be considering how good the 13" M1 was.

Associate
Let the reviewers spend the big money and see what they find....

CPU differences are going to be interesting, I doubt very little between the 10 cores (even the 8 and 10), the GPU's however will make a difference depending upon work load.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Let the reviewers spend the big money and see what they find....

CPU differences are going to be interesting, I doubt very little between the 10 cores (even the 8 and 10), the GPU's however will make a difference depending upon work load.

I was tempted by the max processor but as you say, only certain workflows will benefit from the increased GPU cores and extra memory bandwidth and I'm a programmer so I don't think I would.

Associate
I think you can see it in the graphics. Its highly unlikely the 10 core Pro runs any different speed to the 10 Core Max. I am pretty convinced lots of people will run around with Max's who will get no benefit from it. I think it will be interesting to see how something like Blender etc use the extra GPU cores but unless doing that kind of work its overkill.

Would be interesting to see 8 core v 10 Core as I imagine many will be looking at the different models.

Again, with these CPU's I wonder if money better spent on Ram and storage space.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Don't hold your breath. Max Tech is alright but they release too many videos IMO and most of them lacking any real content. He probably gets into benchmarks (and video rendering) more than any other reviewer I regularly watch so if benchmarks aren't your cup of tea then prepare to be disappointed. They also provide little-to-no real world use material.
Every reviewer has to be taken with a pinch of salt however one I would throw into the mix is Mark Ellis Reviews. He's UK based and seems to be a fairly genuine guy and an actual consumer more than a reviewer. He does have a tendency to waffle slightly now and again but I find it quite endearing and let's be honest we all waffle on some level!

Thanks! Ill give these ones a look at. I dont tend to watch every video that these techtubers do anyway and only watch the ones I have an interest in

All I really wanna see are some good comparisons between the M1 chips and some decent AMD/Intel ones, maybe even desktop competitors to see how good they truly are. If these new chips are performing better than Zen2 desktop chips at multicore for example, that's ridiculously impressive

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The last MBP I owned was the 15" one with the SD slot and magsafe.

Unfortunately, I spent so long waiting for them to improve on the design (and seeing them balls it up with the butterfly keyboard etc) that I moved over to a gaming PC :p

Love the new performance... hate the notch. Without FaceID, that notch is unforgivable.

Commissario
Here's all three models next to each other.

The one on the left has no notch, the menu bar will sit right at the top, reducing the available screen space.

On the two others, the menu sits either side of the notch, not eating into available screen space.

This is bad? :confused:

kv4fGl4.png

fLiJNWQ.png

Back
Top Bottom