Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Should probably mention it costs 7x the price, if not more :D

You pay for what you get, It has 2x CPU performance and It consumes 5x less power and is portable and weighs nothing - meanwhile the PS5 is a heavy brick that chugs electricity

Soldato
I'm disappointed that the Max with mOaR CoREs is quite so expensive. I have a Threadripper desktop and wanted something suitably beefy for my new laptop as well (lots of VM stuff, networking stuff etc). I glumly slide back toward looking around the base models... Then I remember I'm still rocking a 13" mid-2012 MBP with a Core i5, 16GB RAM (but it only really uses 8GB except for VMWare) and an old Samsung SSD. Admittedly, despite its age I'm really anal with my tech, and it only leaves the house in a soft case to go on annual holidays with me, so it's literally brand new to look at and touch/use. Not a mark on it.

The base 16" should be a very nice and substantial upgrade in reality. Almost everything I do is network storage based, bar local VMs, so 512GB is ample for me. The M1 Pro will probably feel like a rocket ship in comparison to what I have now (which, admittedly, is still actually surprisingly light and fast running Catalina tbf). :p The only thing that really bugs me is the lack of Ethernet - WiFi 6 or no, it's not going to replace wired for me. With the extra ports to spare and the fact my laptop is mostly docked/desktopped, a dongle for Ethernet isn't a dealbreaker.

If the M1 max was built on tsmc 7nm it would be just under 800mm2

Wanna know what other chips are 800mm2 on 7nm? There is only one, the Nvidia RTX A100 - wanna know how much it costs? 11k Euros!

Makes the M1 Max look cheap now

Soldato

Wanna know what other chips are 800mm2 on 7nm? There is only one, the Nvidia RTX A100 - wanna know how much it costs? 11k Euros!

I think you misunderstood my statement. I'm not saying it's too expensive for what it is, I'm saying I can't justify buying more than the base model because my wife and kids are more important than an extra 10 cores (and I'm too poor to pay for both). :p

Associate
I think the general usage improvements are huge but I think the GPU will be somewhat desired.

Let's keep in mind that moving to ARM also removes some of the arguments people had for investing in higher end machines such as having GPU for gaming and extra memory for VM's.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Cant wait to see what other companies have to offer once they get the same HUGE advantage of using 5nm like Apple has at the moment

Soldato
This is the first MBP that I have really wanted to upgrade to since I bought my 2015 rMBP. My main issue is that my existing machine is still going strong…

You'll love it. I went from a 2015 rMBP to an M1 Air, and it's lightyears ahead of it in terms of speed, and daily use, and battery life. The 2015 was the last of old design too. I know mine is an air vs rMBP, but the difference is size and weight was considerable.

My 2015 MBP was still going strong too, but the display had started losing coating around the edges.

I’m in a similar position, my 2015 rMBP is still pretty good. The battery needs replacing but performance-wise it gets by.

I think it's probably because I have a 2017 27” iMac as my daily machine — if I had to use the MBP full-time I might struggle.

However, it means as much as I would like one of these new MBPs, I can't really justify it right now.

Soldato
Bought the M1 Max MBP, 2TB SSD, 64GB Ram, 32 core GPU. It's my main work machine, will replace my Mac Mini + EGPU & my MBP 2016 in one unit is the plan.

Been waiting since 2016 for them to sort out the design, bonus its so powerful it can replace my desktop Mac Mini & EGPU solution.

I did get apple care as well, eye wateringly expensive but these new designs are unknown in longevity, so i want full support for 3 years, it is my business as well so I need instant fix/replacements if something goes wrong.

Soldato
Here's all three models next to each other.

The one on the left has no notch, the menu bar will sit right at the top, reducing the available screen space.

On the two others, the menu sits either side of the notch, not eating into available screen space.

This is bad? :confused:

kv4fGl4.png

fLiJNWQ.png
If there was an option to invert the colours of the top bar to "blend in" the notch it'd be a lot less jarring.
For a company that prides itself on design it's a bit of an ugly implementation.

Soldato
Has anyone seen any decent perminant cases for the 16" 2021? Perhaps rubber or plastic that will clip on to protect it?

I don't normally do it, but this thing cost more than my van, so I want it protected as heckin possible.

Associate
Too early days.

Some forgetting the base M1 outperforms the Mac Pro so don't over do the specs unless you have some extreme render etc need.

Soldato
Potentially silly/repeat question but given the ever slipping delivery dates on their website if one were to place an order now (currently showing 22nd November) when do Apple charge the payment source?

Soldato
What software are you guys needing the power of this new M1 pro/max cpu to run ?

As it a bit to powerful & expensive just to be used for watching Youtube & internet surfing :cry:

Soldato
Potentially silly/repeat question but given the ever slipping delivery dates on their website if one were to place an order now (currently showing 22nd November) when do Apple charge the payment source?

I've had different experiences. They auth immediately on order - on a few devices they've also billed within a day or so. My 16" Turbo Max Pro X Squared was ordered within an hour or so of them becoming available. They've auth'd but still not collected the money.

Soldato
What software are you guys needing the power of this new M1 pro/max cpu to run ?

As it a bit to powerful & expensive just to be used for watching Youtube & internet surfing :cry:

:cry: for me light room, daily, it's never fast enough that darn software.

Secondly final cut pro, 4 or 5 4k streams at worse but normally 2 or 3 which it's slightly overkill for, but one day no doubt I'll move to 8k

Hoping to keep the laptop 5-7 years minimum so will see a lot of use.

It's for my full time business

Back
Top Bottom