Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Associate
I have a hunch 32GB will be better for rendering/editing etc with the GPU then 16.... its what apple went within in their small print for the Pro...and 64 for the max. But then of course they'd max out the ram for a benchmark

Soldato
Here’s a proper unboxing from a Vietnamese guy - should have called this gen the MacBook Thicc/Chonky!

I can’t help but always go for the bigger screened versions of all of the line myself…
On paper the size differences are minuscule but the new 16" is pretty chunky when you see them side by side. For me it's definitely as big I was would want to go in a laptop.
I like the rounded corners on the top and just wish they'd done it on the bottom as well.

Soldato
On paper the size differences are minuscule but the new 16" is pretty chunky when you see them side by side. For me it's definitely as big I was would want to go in a laptop.
I like the rounded corners on the top and just wish they'd done it on the bottom as well.
It’s a 15” model on the left as not 16”

Soldato
Not sure why people are saying the new MacBooks are chunky. The 16” is 16.8mm thick vs the 13” which is 15.6mm. 1.2mm thicker is hardly a massive gain.
I think it’s mostly because the current models taper at the edges so they give the appearance of being thinner but ultimately there is next to nothing in it.

Soldato
Not sure why people are saying the new MacBooks are chunky. The 16” is 16.8mm thick vs the 13” which is 15.6mm. 1.2mm thicker is hardly a massive gain.

Honestly a lot of people who complain about them being chunky are also the same guys who always complained that Apple made their laptops too thin. Just make up your goddamn minds people :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Honestly a lot of people who complain about them being chunky are also the same guys who always complained that Apple made their laptops too thin. Just make up your goddamn minds people :D

They know exactly what they want. Mainly to whinge but also they want a thin and light laptop with amazing battery and performance, no thermal throttling and they also want every port under the sun as long as its useful to them.

Associate
"8-Core 14-Inch MacBook Pro Around 20% Slower Than 10-Core Models in Multi-Core Benchmark"

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/23/8-core-14-inch-macbook-pro-benchmark/

As I said, always a twist with the bottom model and early adopting.

Are you referring to the M1 vs the M1 Pro, and not the article title (which I think would be obvious to most 8/10)?

I'd expect the M1 Air to be clocked lower given the slimmer form factor and lesser cooling; it also has a 4:4 split on performance vs efficiency cores, where the 8-core pro is a 6:2 split.

Soldato
Are you referring to the M1 vs the M1 Pro, and not the article title (which I think would be obvious to most 8/10)?

I'd expect the M1 Air to be clocked lower given the slimmer form factor and lesser cooling; it also has a 4:4 split on performance vs efficiency cores, where the 8-core pro is a 6:2 split.

The M1 Air and M1 MBP are clocked the same, with exactly the same chip (4 high + 4 efficiency), just the Air will throttle a lot quicker due to lack of active cooling.

Back
Top Bottom