Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I tend to buy the high spec ones. Mine's a 64GB/2TB unit. GBP4099 retail. Thing is though, a lot of people buy these through their business, so the impact of that money is hugely less.

Gross: 4099
VAT: 683.16
So nett of GBP3415.84

...then it's tax deductible which means no CT, so that takes another 649 quid off of it. So the real cost to me - I.e., money I could have paid myself but didn't - 2766.

I doubt I'd spend >4K of my own money on it, mainly as it works in the other direction then. C'est la vie.

Permabanned
Mine was put through company too.

I didn't actually want the 8TB either... I would have preferred the 4TB... but that was a popular option this time and I was late to order, so it would have added an extra 4-6 weeks to my delivery time & that difference was worth paying the extra for.

Man of Honour
M1 has finally been approved by work IT, in August my 2018 Pro will be getting replaced with either a 14" or 16" Pro with 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU, 32GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. Apart from the size, is there any difference between the 14" and 16"? I quite fancy the smaller form factor but I do use the screen as a second display.

Last edited:
Don
Sounds like a good insurer. Mind giving some details? Have you got to send the old one in? Any excess?

Sainsbury's/Axa - I specifically asked if they wanted the old unit and they said "no, get your data off it and dispose as you see fit", the whole claim and payout took less than 30 minutes, premium has increased by £11 a month

Soldato
Sainsbury's/Axa - I specifically asked if they wanted the old unit and they said "no, get your data off it and dispose as you see fit", the whole claim and payout took less than 30 minutes, premium has increased by £11 a month

Just gave them a quick look. We're you paying for anything extra if you don't mind me asking? I see they offer addition protection for things like "Knocking a whole in the wall with a hammer when hanging a photo"

Man of Honour
Whoops, daughter smashed my MBP 16", was pleasantly surprised when my insurance company offered an 16" M1 Max replacement, arriving tomorrow, happy days :)
My mrs managed to damage the screen on my M1 Air with a coaster of all things. I'm not sure if it warrants me talking to my insurance company though.

Soldato
Loving mine still. Coming from an old matte HP monitor I used with my Mini the display is appropriately light years ahead and I sometimes just sit and watch the Apple TV 4K HDR wallpapers (via Aerial, cool free program) on it.

Want a decent neat portable stand to improve the typing angle but most things look flimsy/are generic Chinese tat... right now I'm using the AirPods Max bra case wedged under the back. :D

Don
Just gave them a quick look. We're you paying for anything extra if you don't mind me asking? I see they offer addition protection for things like "Knocking a whole in the wall with a hammer when hanging a photo"

I had a few high-value items (watches) declared, but the laptop was covered under standard contents insurance, my premium is now £32.18 a month, bargain.

Soldato
Don't think so matey, at least not that I've ever seen/heard, unless you mean via a dongle
Maybe it just me but i feel it kind of strange that you can buy a cellular iPad but not a cellular MacBook.
As surely people would use a 13" or 14" MacBook in many of the same places as you would an iPad (specially a 12.9 ipad)

Back
Top Bottom