• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
Just got my 5950x installed :D Currently leak testing. First impressions look promising, idle temp in BIOS 28C with room ambiant of 19.5C so at least as good if not a degree or two better than the outgoing 3900x.

Associate
Just testing out the new chip in Cinebench R20:
Multi 10043 (seeing peak boost of 4.15, temp not exceeding 57C)
Single 630 (seeing peak boost of 4.95, temp not exceeing 55C)

Previous single core best on the 3900x was 528 so bang on the 19% improvement touted by AMD :)

Soldato
Hi All,

randomly it restarts can happen in idle or running Cinebench sometimes it can complete it fine single and multi runs

I just recently upgraded from 6700k which never gave me any issues in the 5-6 years I've had it but thought I was over due an upgrade so few weeks ordered the following

5900x
MSI x570 Unify
980 Pro 512gb m.2

running cinebench all cores temps max around 81c and this is with fans at 900rpm on 360 rad temps dont seem to bad when comparing what others are reporting

the rest of the parts are from my old system and never had issues with them so unlikely any of them have fault
HX1000i
Kraken Z73 AIO
SN750 2TB m.2 for games/storage
5700xt
CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 I actually have 4x8gb sticks of these even though they are the same model they have different chips I bought 1 pair later never had issues will all 4 installed at xmp even tighting the timings to CL16

I heard about 4 sticks can cause issues so removed 2 of them and at stock still get the issue so dont think its the ram which I also used on other system with no issues

I did first right away started playing with PBO and curve optimizer which isnt the best thing to do and thought it was down to that but I set everything to Auto and still have the issue

I did also flash the latest bios right away which is beta released on 2021-04-08

only other thing I can try is connect the other 8 pin CPU connector to the board I dont know what else to try

my only other thoughts are either the CPU or Motherboard are at fault or its the Bios

Event Viewer
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 4

Thanks

Associate
a familiar tale :(

My 5800x / MSI x570 pro-a combination is (was) the same. After countless hours trying and replacing things, I RMA'ed the chip. It's with Overclockers now so I don't know how it'll all end.

The only thing (and I tried every combination of things I could, apart from a new mobo) that kind of worked for me was MSI's latest beta bios with AGESA 1.2.0.2. Running this severely limited the chip's boost frequencies (knocked about 200MHz off single core boost and about 400MHz off all core boost) but it stopped the crashing at least

Soldato
a familiar tale :(

My 5800x / MSI x570 pro-a combination is (was) the same. After countless hours trying and replacing things, I RMA'ed the chip. It's with Overclockers now so I don't know how it'll all end.

The only thing (and I tried every combination of things I could, apart from a new mobo) that kind of worked for me was MSI's latest beta bios with AGESA 1.2.0.2. Running this severely limited the chip's boost frequencies (knocked about 200MHz off single core boost and about 400MHz off all core boost) but it stopped the crashing at least

kinda wished I stuck with the 6700k and its not like the new parts are cheap , guess if I cant find the solution I can RMA the chip and at least will confirm if the chips faulty or not and move onto the next part I feel its the CPU / Board or Bios issue and maybe fined with update ?

Soldato
kinda wished I stuck with the 6700k and its not like the new parts are cheap , guess if I cant find the solution I can RMA the chip and at least will confirm if the chips faulty or not and move onto the next part I feel its the CPU / Board or Bios issue and maybe fined with update ?

Dialback on the curve optimise on the core that gave the whea error. In your case ap4, which is core 3, 0/1 2/3 4/5 etc

So don't go as negative, run ryzen master, it'll give you the breakdown of your best cores, these will not take as much negative core optimiser as poorer core.

Soldato
Dialback on the curve optimise on the core that gave the whea error. In your case ap4, which is core 3, 0/1 2/3 4/5 etc

So don't go as negative, run ryzen master, it'll give you the breakdown of your best cores, these will not take as much negative core optimiser as poorer core.

Hi, it was even doing it with everything at stock but since I just changed PBO to enabled everything else stock its been fine havent had single issue all day did some benchmarks / games I get single core boosts to 4950 and 4500-4450 in multi core on Cinebench and my scores seem to align with others here multi core run i get max 81c thats with fans on 360 aio at 900rpm in single its around 60c - 61c on idle on desktop its around 38c and reading about temps they seem fine

In gaming temps have been around 50-65c depending on the game

gonne keep testing for another couple of days before I attempt to install the 2 remaining ram sticks

With regards to playing with PBO and tweaking with core Curves etc much more to it now days was so much easier all them years ago with the 6700k :eek: I might look into it sometime in the future at the moment just will be happy with stable system and the clocks dont seem to bad either but would love to try for 5ghz single boost I know its doesnt make any difference but still :cry:

Thanks

Soldato
Anyone upgraded their gaming pc from a 6700k to a 5900x, im thinking of getting a ryzen setup and with the money ill save from not upgrading my gpu as im not willing to pay silly money for it, the money i do save ill get a better cpu. Will i notice a good improvment in framerates?

Associate
Will i notice a good improvment in framerates?
Upgraded from 6700k to 5800X. Definitely feels faster.
Improvement in framerates? Maybe ONLY where previous CPU was pegged and GPU wasn't. Off top of my head, E-sportsy games? Newer games that legitimately load 8 cores?

6700K is capable still. You may wait for DDR5 systems next year. Both Alder Lake and Zen 4 are promising impressive IPC gains.

Soldato
Anyone upgraded their gaming pc from a 6700k to a 5900x, im thinking of getting a ryzen setup and with the money ill save from not upgrading my gpu as im not willing to pay silly money for it, the money i do save ill get a better cpu. Will i notice a good improvment in framerates?

I myself just come from 6700k to 5900x and can notice difference even though still using the 5700xt I dont get the dips anymore but will see bigger difference when I finally can buy an 3080 :(

Soldato
figured out what was causing the freezing I have 4x8gb of CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 they were in my old system even though all are exact same models 2 pairs are Micron and the other 2 are Nanya either that is causing the issue or the system doesnt like 4 sticks which I have read about , I part 2nd pair later on as an upgrade all 4 worked fine in old system with 6700k and running 3600 CL16

system works fine with just 2 sticks installed and even tighted the timings to CL16

so I guess my only soluton is to buy 2x16gb pack and get rid of these :o

Soldato
Upgraded from 6700k to 5800X. Definitely feels faster.
Improvement in framerates? Maybe ONLY where previous CPU was pegged and GPU wasn't. Off top of my head, E-sportsy games? Newer games that legitimately load 8 cores?

Think I'll wait then.
6700K is capable still. You may wait for DDR5 systems next year. Both Alder Lake and Zen 4 are promising impressive IPC gains.

Associate
So I am now a member of the 5950x club, currently living with it in Eco mode as my cooler is not man enough, still quick enough to give my threadripper a run for its money. :D

So what is a good AM4 water block, does a decent 2x120 AIO exist?

Associate
I went from a 6700k to a 5900x a few months ago and could tell the difference FPS are a lot more stable I don’t sUffer the dips anymore pretty mUchsticks at 165fps now when gaming without any problems

Back
Top Bottom