• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
Soldato
So I am now a member of the 5950x club, currently living with it in Eco mode as my cooler is not man enough, still quick enough to give my threadripper a run for its money. :D

So what is a good AM4 water block, does a decent 2x120 AIO exist?

Depending on motherboard ever thought of a mono block which will do the VRMs as well ?

Associate
So I am now a member of the 5950x club, currently living with it in Eco mode as my cooler is not man enough, still quick enough to give my threadripper a run for its money. :D

Yeah, can keep my 5900x cool sort of in balance mode with this H110i corsair AIO. It's not able to keep it cool enough when using performance power plan. I'm thinking of maybe a 360mm AIO over the 280 so far or move back to a decent air cooler again.

It'll depend on summer months when things get a bit more warmer than the winter months so far. Still runs pretty fast though, so probably me just being paranoid on performance issues that don't exist.

I am also running in ECO mode with a 360mm aio, recently rejigged my fan setup & adjusted airflow. It dropped me around 15c on the cpu and higher on other things so might be able to switch back to default.

Associate
Hi

I will get a 5900x and Dark Hero today, i'm still kinda lost in all the new stuff for me since i'm coming from years of Intel. I've created a topic about it, does anyone having this CPu and board could give me some help?

Thanks

Associate
What's everyone using to OC these chips, direct bios changes or ryzen master, or something else?

I've only a 5800x so can't speak for the 5900x/5950x, but I've been using bios changes to use PBO and curve optimizer to undervolt. CPU then automatically boosts itself a little (around +200mhz) and for longer whilst operating within the same power envelope.

Soldato
just wondering if I can pick some brains :confused: Coming from an i7 6700k which was easy to tweak just set highest clocks you can get with lowest voltage to strike the balance with 5900x getting my head around PBO2 and Curves it really is something else I aint bothered about chasing numbers for benchmarks my use is just games and general windows use

5900x
MSI x570 unify
Kraken z73 360mm AIO

I Noticed if I set PBO Limits to motherboard when running cinebench r20 multi I see CPU Package power goto around 203watts with PBO limits disabled its 133watts seems big difference temps hit 83c but have to factor in the weather has warmed up and the room the computer in does get humid :mad:

With PBO Limited disabled temps max 63c on cinebench r20 multi run

Single core runs max 60-63c regardless with PBO Limits on or off

I know I get lower scores with PBO disabled on multi runs but power and temps are better

So my question is can I play with curves with PBO limits disabled ? and try to increase multi scores

main use is gaming which seems to use much lower power and temps are lower

Thanks

Associate
Yes you can. I have the following set on mine.

Precision Boost Overdrive : Advanced
PBO Limits: Disabled
PBO Scaler: Auto

I then set curve optimizer to all core, negative and tested different values to see what was stable and gave best results. I am at negative 13. Scores 647 in Cinebench r20 single threaded. Temps around 32/33c over ambient.

Soldato
Yes you can. I have the following set on mine.

Precision Boost Overdrive : Advanced
PBO Limits: Disabled
PBO Scaler: Auto

I then set curve optimizer to all core, negative and tested different values to see what was stable and gave best results. I am at negative 13. Scores 647 in Cinebench r20 single threaded. Temps around 32/33c over ambient.

Thanks ;) dont see anyone else mention it I guess people are chasing bigger scores my case use I doubt I'd notice any difference in my real use which is gaming

Associate

So I went with a techN water block in the end, paired it up with a rather pathetic looking 240mm xspc thin crossflow rad and a small pump/res combo from ek because its in a small case and only temporary until I can transplant to my games machine but it is keeping temps in check and I can run full speed mode, well as fast as my server board will run it, it is running slow 2933 CL22 ECC ram.

20210603-140618.jpg

Associate
Upgraded from a 3900XT to a 5950x and I even added another rad into my build (2x360 and 1x120 now, was just 2x360 before). Had to default load my bios settings but after putting everything back except CPU settings which most are on auto (I need to do homework on curve tweaking) I'm seeing idle temps of around 45 degrees. Bit disappointing as my 3900x could go down to 37~39 on idle.

When gaming as well I am seeing 70~75. 3900xt was around 60~65 gaming.

Either I've somehow made a mess of paste/seating the CPU waterblock, the 5950x really runs warmer than a 3900xt or my dialled in 3900xt BIOS settings/overclock was just that more efficient than default PBO 5950x.

I guess I'll try overclocking the 5950x and seeing if some undervolting/manual EDC/TDC/PPT settings cools things down a bit.

I did switch over to the Windows balanced power plan as I read not to use the installed Ryzen power plans on 5xxx, they were for last gen only.

Back
Top Bottom