• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
I've given up trying to tame my 5950X, if it wants to hit 90 degrees then it can.

I tried PBO with a all core negative offset of 10, 200Mhz boost and I tried with scaler set to Auto and X3, it crashed whilst idling on desktop, changed the offset to 5, still crashed.

Then I tried Clock Tuner 2.1, the less said about that the better.

I haven't got the spare time needed to do PBO for each core.

200 is quite high, most I've tried is 100. I'd drop down to 100 or even 0 to work on your cores first.

To begin with I recommend finding out what your best 4 cores are. HWINFO ranks the cores but I find AMD Ryzen Master to show them quite clearly. In the app your two best cores will have a star next to them. The second best a circle.

Next, being mindful that AMD Ryzen master names the cores 1 to 16. The BIOS and HWINFO for example begin with core 0 and go to core 15. So core 1 in Ryzen master is actually core 0 in the bios and so on.

To test core stability use Corecycler https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler/releases

Corecycler works off the same naming scheme as the BIOS, so its core 0 to core 15. Makes it easy to know which core voltage to modify in the BIOS when it fails in Corecycler.

For example, my stable settings are -15 on 3 of the best 4 cores, but one of them needs to be at -5 or it crashes. The rest are -25.

It just goes to show you doing an all core undervolt is pretty risky and/or likely to be unstable. The core I need to run at -5 isn't even one of the best, with a star, its one of the second best with the circle. I've read some people actually have to leave one of their best cores with no undervolt at all.

Tldr; drop your 200mhz to 100 for now and then work on a stable per core undervolt using Corecycler once you know your best cores.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've given up trying to tame my 5950X, if it wants to hit 90 degrees then it can.

I tried PBO with a all core negative offset of 10, 200Mhz boost and I tried with scaler set to Auto and X3, it crashed whilst idling on desktop, changed the offset to 5, still crashed.

Then I tried Clock Tuner 2.1, the less said about that the better.

I haven't got the spare time needed to do PBO for each core.
You’re doing it wrong, 75Mhz is plenty for auto OC for the 5950x. By having such a high auto oc you simply limit the effectiveness of curve optimiser.

Associate
200 is quite high, most I've tried is 100. I'd drop down to 100 or even 0 to work on your cores first.

To begin with I recommend finding out what your best 4 cores are. HWINFO ranks the cores but I find AMD Ryzen Master to show them quite clearly. In the app your two best cores will have a star next to them. The second best a circle.

Next, being mindful that AMD Ryzen master names the cores 1 to 16. The BIOS and HWINFO for example begin with core 0 and go to core 15. So core 1 in Ryzen master is actually core 0 in the bios and so on.

To test core stability use Corecycler https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler/releases

Corecycler works off the same naming scheme as the BIOS, so its core 0 to core 15. Makes it easy to know which core voltage to modify in the BIOS when it fails in Corecycler.

For example, my stable settings are -15 on 3 of the best 4 cores, but one of them needs to be at -5 or it crashes. The rest are -25.

It just goes to show you doing an all core undervolt is pretty risky and/or likely to be unstable. The core I need to run at -5 isn't even one of the best, with a star, its one of the second best with the circle. I've read some people actually have to leave one of their best cores with no undervolt at all.

Tldr; drop your 200mhz to 100 for now and then work on a stable per core undervolt using Corecycler once you know your best cores.

Hmm interesting i did not know this, so my best core 4 in Ryzen master is actually core 3 in the bios?

Associate
A few days ago I tried just enabling PBO on and leaving everything else on auto and Windows 10 crashed whilst idling a little while later.

This evening I played a bit of Doom Eternal and after about half hour or so the AIO started flashing red, I knew what it was flashing for so I loaded iCUE and the coolant temperature was 55 degrees with the fans going full chat!

It's now back down to the 30's.

This is with completely stock settings apart from XMP.

Associate
Hmm interesting i did not know this, so my best core 4 in Ryzen master is actually core 3 in the bios?

Yup, if you look at the curve in the bios it begins with Core 0. Ryzen Master begins with Core 1.

BIOS goes 0 to 15. Ryzen Master goes 1 to 16. So you need to deduct 1 off the Ryzen Master figure to get the equivalent in the BIOS or from CoreCycler.

1 to 16 obviously makes logical sense, but for whatever reason the BIOS and therefore all the HWINFO/stability testing apps go 0 to 15.

csxu4dg.png

My Ryzen Master

So Core 2 and 11 in the bios are my best, Core 5 and 14 are my 2nd best. What I found out from testing is Core 5, represented by C06 in Ryzen Master, is my most voltage dependent of the 4 better cores. Even more voltage hungry than the two best!

Just goes to show why an all core undervolt can be risky for stability. Best to put the time in to do the curve properly and test with something like CoreCyler to find what each core can handle.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, if you look at the curve in the bios it begins with Core 0. Ryzen Master begins with Core 1.

BIOS goes 0 to 15. Ryzen Master goes 1 to 16. So you need to deduct 1 off the Ryzen Master figure to get the equivalent in the BIOS or from CoreCycler.

1 to 16 obviously makes logical sense, but for whatever reason the BIOS and therefore all the HWINFO/stability testing apps go 0 to 15.

csxu4dg.png

My Ryzen Master

So Core 2 and 11 in the bios are my best, Core 5 and 14 are my 2nd best. What I found out from testing is Core 5, represented by C06 in Ryzen Master, is my most voltage dependent of the 4 better cores. Even more voltage hungry than the two best!

Just goes to show why an all core undervolt can be risky for stability. Best to put the time in to do the curve properly and test with something like CoreCyler to find what each core can handle.

I will probably have another tinker, could explain why i was getting bsods.

Associate
Hi all I just built my new rig last week.

My specs:
Ryzen 5900x
2x16 GB ram
RTX 3060 Ti
ROG B550-F

I monitor the CPU temperature with ASUS Armoury Crate. It shows the temperature for cores and CPU package.
I noticed that CPU core temperature (no matter which one) seems 10 degrees lower than the CPU package one.
CPU package is around 40-50 when idle, 50-60 when I work (Browser and Microsoft office), and 70-80 when I play video games.

I am not sure if that is a normal temperature for 5900x?
My CPU cooler is https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html.
Do I need a more powerful CPU cooler?

Thank you all in advance :D

Associate

My specs:
Ryzen 5900x
2x16 GB ram
RTX 3060 Ti
ROG B550-F

I monitor the CPU temperature with ASUS Armoury Crate. It shows the temperature for cores and CPU package.
I noticed that CPU core temperature (no matter which one) seems 10 degrees lower than the CPU package one.
CPU package is around 40-50 when idle, 50-60 when I work (Browser and Microsoft office), and 70-80 when I play video games.

My CPU cooler is https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-3-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-05a-al.html.

That's correct on the temps. If I run AIDA64 Stability test it will report the CPU at like 75 degrees, but if I take a look at HWINFO the package temp will be at 85 degrees. I could be wrong here, but I believe it's something to do with two different temp sensors giving their readings. They're both correct on where they are reporting the temp from, but for thermals sake I believe the package temperature is what you should be keeping an eye on and what the chip will thermal throttle based upon.

As for your general temps, about right, these 5xxx processors are bloody hot. I have a 3 radiator watercooling loop (2x360, 1x120), with a 2080Ti in it, and my temps aren't far off yours. 70~75 when gaming (high end 3D games), idle will drop to 38~45 depending on room temperature and there will be spikes into the 50s when doing desktop tasks. This is a 5950x.

Associate

My specs:
Ryzen 5900x
2x16 GB ram
RTX 3060 Ti
ROG B550-F

Totally normal for temps.

I've had my 5950x rig for over a week and I was freaking out over the temps at first. From what I gathered these CPU's do indeed run hot. You also need to keep in mind of ambient temps in the room and the fact that it's summer, so it's pretty reasonable to expect your CPU to be that warm plus a lot of homes in the UK are built for colder weather and don't have the luxury of AC like other countries (US for example). My idle temps are anywhere from 30-high 40's when idle and 60's-high 70's when gaming for a while. I've seen it go into the 80's but on rare instances and only for brief moments.

Will keep the room warm in winter. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Totally normal for temps.

Will keep the room warm in winter. :p

Oh this is true lol. I run my Lian Li O11 XL with intake on the side and bottom, top and back all exhaust (I have 3 rads, a 120 and 2x360). When things get going the heat that comes out of the top/bottom and back is genuinely like a heater :cry:

That's a 5950x and 2080ti in the loop.

Soldato
Got my 5900x yesterday, running on a X570 Strix-F, 32GB C16 3200Mhz RAM and with everything default at the moment topped off with an Arctic Freezer II 360mm AIO and its hovering around 60'c under load with an all-core around 4150Mhz in Cinebench R23 and my 4 best cores hitting 4950Mhz and the rest between 4650-4750Mhz at a VCore of around 1.45v during general use.

The last time I did any OC'ing was 10+ years ago (i7 2600k @4.6Ghz - still running it until a week ago) and I know it's a whole different kettle of fish nowadays compared to the very simplistic "bump the Vcore and FSB - Done!" of a decade ago so I tried Ryzen Master with either PBO or Auto OC selected which gave a respectable bump to 4450Mhz all core with temps moving to 73'c on R23 and with my 4 best cores hitting 5050Mhz and the rest hitting 4850-4950Mhz under general use but the 1.5v+ VCore worried me a little so I went back to Default which is fine for my current workload/games but it's good to see there's headroom if I ever fancied a little per core undervolting.

I haven't really stretched it's usage so far as I'm slowly adding in all the various software/games I have which is taking quite a long time but as a step up from the i7 2600 it's understandably such a massive leap that it's difficult to quantify just how much better it really is as it's a literal quantum leap in tech.

Associate
Got my 5900x yesterday, running on a X570 Strix-F, 32GB C16 3200Mhz RAM and with everything default at the moment topped off with an Arctic Freezer II 360mm AIO and its hovering around 60'c under load with an all-core around 4150Mhz in Cinebench R23 and my 4 best cores hitting 4950Mhz and the rest between 4650-4750Mhz at a VCore of around 1.45v during general use.

The last time I did any OC'ing was 10+ years ago (i7 2600k @4.6Ghz - still running it until a week ago) and I know it's a whole different kettle of fish nowadays compared to the very simplistic "bump the Vcore and FSB - Done!" of a decade ago so I tried Ryzen Master with either PBO or Auto OC selected which gave a respectable bump to 4450Mhz all core with temps moving to 73'c on R23 and with my 4 best cores hitting 5050Mhz and the rest hitting 4850-4950Mhz under general use but the 1.5v+ VCore worried me a little so I went back to Default which is fine for my current workload/games but it's good to see there's headroom if I ever fancied a little per core undervolting.

I haven't really stretched it's usage so far as I'm slowly adding in all the various software/games I have which is taking quite a long time but as a step up from the i7 2600 it's understandably such a massive leap that it's difficult to quantify just how much better it really is as it's a literal quantum leap in tech.

I've got the same motherboard but with a 5950x. It's all about curve optimiser on 5xxx chips. Don't use Ryzen Master for anything other than monitoring. Well, don't is maybe is strong word, but it's best to do it manually

Here is the watch first video https://youtu.be/dU5qLJqTSAc

Here is what I recommend to test per-core stability https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler/releases

Here is my settings just for info, they will not be copy/paste appropriate

PPT 270, TDC 150, EDC 190
4 best cores = 1 on -5, one on -15 and two on -20
Rest of my cores = All on -30
AutoOC boost = 100mhz

Use Ryzen Master to see your 4 best cores, two will have a star, two will have a white dot. Star is best two. But tip from there is to know the BIOS and all stability/info apps name the cores from 0. So for the 5950x, it goes core 0 to core 15. AMD Ryzen master names cores from 1. So it goes core 1 to core 16.

Whatever Ryzen Master says is your best cores, deduct 1 from them to get that core in the BIOS settings or if you run corecyler and it errors out on a core.

Then again, these chips really are fine on auto, so unless you want to push the last drop of performance at the best thermals, you don't really need to worry about the above.

Soldato
Then again, these chips really are fine on auto, so unless you want to push the last drop of performance at the best thermals, you don't really need to worry about the above.

I think thats where I'm staying for the moment :D

It's such a massive leap ahead of what I was using previously that squeezing an extra few % here or there just doesn't really feel required right now but thanks for all the info, it'll be a help in the future I'm sure once I get used to it!

Associate
I think thats where I'm staying for the moment :D

It's such a massive leap ahead of what I was using previously that squeezing an extra few % here or there just doesn't really feel required right now but thanks for all the info, it'll be a help in the future I'm sure once I get used to it!

Yeah, the 59xx chips are beasts, way more powerful than "needed" for most tasks/games lol. Squeezing that last bit of performance out is fun to do, but takes a little bit of time and is something you can worry about another day. Just enjoy the upgrade for now!

Soldato
Hi, I'm having Windows blackscreen reboots with my stock 5900X that come up as Kernel Power 41 errors in the Event Viewer only when idle (no WHEA errors for me).
Rog Strix B550-XE Gaming Wifi. 1000Watt PSU (I think internally it's superflower rebrand but sold by a big competitor under their own brand so can't say the name of company), Corsair 3466mhz 32gb CL16 (2 sticks of a 4 stick set being used but they're on the QVL).
I have no soundcards or external usb hardware besides an xbox pad dongle keyboard and mouse.
I even had a couple of reboots when I was in the bios so tend to rule out most things.

I'll list what I've tried so far to no avail:

Change motherboard from MSI MEG to Asus Strix when this happened initially a month or so ago.
Reinstall Windows clean
Reseat ram
Run ram @ 2133mhz jdec
Add offset vcore voltage +0.00625 in increments upto 0.02500
Turn off PBO totally in all sections of the bios
Update the bios to newest release version
Update the bios to newest beta version
Clean the nvidia drivers with DDU then reinstall the latest hotfix with windows update blocked
Turn off the onboard audio/LAN controller
Turn the LLC to level 3 and the phase controls to extreme/disable all spread spectrum options

So I've tried a lot here and have now asked in product support forum for ideas but figured I'd ask here too.
Heeeelp :)

Edit spoken to OCUK and have ordered a ROG 1000W PSU just incase. I wanted a new psu anyway so it's no issues to at least try that.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, the 59xx chips are beasts, way more powerful than "needed" for most tasks/games lol. Squeezing that last bit of performance out is fun to do, but takes a little bit of time and is something you can worry about another day. Just enjoy the upgrade for now!

Just wondering if i enabeld PBO > Advanced and then set PPT - TDC - EDC to there default input PPT(142) - TDC(95) - EDC(140) and enabled curved optimizer -5 all core (as an example), would i benift from lower and temps and slightly better performance over stock?

Associate
Just wondering if i enabeld PBO > Advanced and then set PPT - TDC - EDC to there default input PPT(142) - TDC(95) - EDC(140) and enabled curved optimizer -5 all core (as an example), would i benift from lower and temps and slightly better performance over stock?

Could run a bit cooler or boost a bit higher, yes.

You'd be best going all in if you're going to play with PPT, TDC and EDC though and get a proper curve done :)

Associate
You’re doing it wrong, 75Mhz is plenty for auto OC for the 5950x. By having such a high auto oc you simply limit the effectiveness of curve optimiser.
No more 6900xt benching for me at the min. My 5950x hasn't been right for the last month or so before my change from the edge to unify. I think it's from the dodgy patch of November time last year as I got it in December. The IO die was dying 5a internal CPU error and got to the stage where it could no longer boot 3600mhz ram. Been replaced last week, the replacement was total crap so that's gone back too for a refund now! 2-3% worse and uses 20w+ more at the same time! And just to top it off the Bluetooth on the Unify packed in too, so that out and going back today!
It's quite scary how much variation there is on the 5950x. I'd love to test a box full to get a better picture. The replacement I got was doing what it should just the CCD's where of a poorer quality to my first chip.
So back to square one :cry:

Back
Top Bottom