• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Caporegime
Having used my new 5900X for a while, it's a significant improvement over my 3900x in VR - games which had poor performance like No Mans Sky and Fallout 4 VR now perform really well, hitting 90fps most of the time. I even find I can increase the Supersampling with little effect on the framerate.

I have tried the auto-curve optimiser's per core optimisation, but while the performance increase was significant, I get random reboots.
The optimiser put all cores at -22 which seems a bit suspicious that they're all set to the same value. I think I'll have to do some manual tweaking at some point.

I'd prefer if the temps were a little lower - it's going to 80 degrees regularly while gaming, but I understand these chips will boost as high as the thermal limit will allow. It's not reached 90 degrees at any point though, and there is the issue that my 3090 will be dumping quite a bit of heat into the case, which is not what you'll see when just doing CPU testing.

I did have a momentary twinge of regret that I didn't get a 3800X3D as that seems to have some huge advantages in some games, but the performance of the 5900X is definitely good enough for my use case.

That is a little warm, what are you using for cooling?

Try setting curve optimiser to -15 across the board, it's usually a good starting point.

Soldato
That is a little warm, what are you using for cooling?

Try setting curve optimiser to -15 across the board, it's usually a good starting point.

Dark Rock Pro 4, on a default normal fan profile. Possibly I could get it cooler by changing the fan profile to be be more aggressive but I prefer a quiet PC.

Thanks for the tip on the curve optimiser values.

Caporegime
Dark Rock Pro 4, on a default normal fan profile. Possibly I could get it cooler by changing the fan profile to be be more aggressive but I prefer a quiet PC.

Thanks for the tip on the curve optimiser values.
Just did a rather pointless 5900X to 5950X upgrade and have to start tweaking all over again. It's a slow process!

Associate
Having used my new 5900X for a while, it's a significant improvement over my 3900x in VR - games which had poor performance like No Mans Sky and Fallout 4 VR now perform really well, hitting 90fps most of the time. I even find I can increase the Supersampling with little effect on the framerate.

I have tried the auto-curve optimiser's per core optimisation, but while the performance increase was significant, I get random reboots.
The optimiser put all cores at -22 which seems a bit suspicious that they're all set to the same value. I think I'll have to do some manual tweaking at some point.

I'd prefer if the temps were a little lower - it's going to 80 degrees regularly while gaming, but I understand these chips will boost as high as the thermal limit will allow. It's not reached 90 degrees at any point though, and there is the issue that my 3090 will be dumping quite a bit of heat into the case, which is not what you'll see when just doing CPU testing.

I did have a momentary twinge of regret that I didn't get a 3800X3D as that seems to have some huge advantages in some games, but the performance of the 5900X is definitely good enough for my use case.
Try setting EDC to something like 150a, Google where that setting is for your mobo.

Associate
The EDC setting is pretty crucial with these chips, default is 200 amps on this board. It doesn't need to be anything like that, mine is set to 120 amps, Curve Optimiser is -30 on all cores. Changing EDC from 150 amps to 120 amps knocked 5C off my load temps and gave an extra 100 Mhz on all cores, boosting to 4.85-4.9 Ghz all core. All with less power used. Loads at about 72C on air cooling.

Mighty impressive chips these 5000 series, especially when you tune them up.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The EDC setting is pretty crucial with these chips, default is 200 amps on this board. It doesn't need to be anything like that, mine is set to 120 amps, Curve Optimiser is -30 on all cores. Changing EDC from 150 amps to 120 amps knocked 5C off my load temps and gave an extra 100 Mhz on all cores, boosting to 4.85-4.9 Ghz all core. All with less power used. Loads at about 72C on air cooling.

Mighty impressive chips these 5000 series, especially when you tune them up.
Is that when gaming or when using cinebench? Because I get 4.95 GHz when gaming and all I did was set all cores to -15. Not touched anything else as far as I recall.

Might give that a go and see what’s what. So far had no issues with -15 on all cores. Can’t be asked going doing an individual core by core just yet. Maybe do that at a later date when I get the itch.

Associate
Is that when gaming or when using cinebench? Because I get 4.95 GHz when gaming and all I did was set all cores to -15. Not touched anything else as far as I recall.

Might give that a go and see what’s what. So far had no issues with -15 on all cores. Can’t be asked going doing an individual core by core just yet. Maybe do that at a later date when I get the itch.
Gaming, Cinebench they do 4.5 all core with temps in the mid 60's. This is a good balance, they can do over 5Ghz gaming when EDC is at 160 amps, but then temps go into the high 70's which is fine, but I like them to be a little bit cooler than that.

Soldato
Just bought a 5900x. Was considering the 5800x3D but after looking into it, the 5900x was comparable performance wise for gaming at the resolution I do 1440p (UW) and was cheaper. I'll be running it in a SFF build so keeping it cool while minimising performance loss will be the priorities.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to start with PBO/CO, etc ?

Last edited:
Associate
Just did a rather pointless 5900X to 5950X upgrade and have to start tweaking all over again. It's a slow process!

I felt the same way (for my needs) when I upgraded from a 5800X to 5900X last summer! Thankfully I sold my 5800X for only £50 less than I paid for it. Anyway, I'm very happy with the 5900X for now.

Associate
hi there, I recently brought a 5950x and had some questions about PBO. I have some quick messing around with it and found that with PBO enabled the chip does boost better - im seeing around +10% in multicore R20 score.

Does PBO shorten the life-span of the chip (like by increasing voltages etc. - on its own)? The chip does get a little hotter - staying around 80c (on a 360mm AIO) but doesnt seem out-of-control. I know heat can shorten the life of a CPU.

I have tried doing a -15 to the curve but it appears to crash randomly. I guess I could try lower, but I start to wonder if its worth it.

So would it be the best idea to just enable PBO and leave it at that? or not even enable PBO at all. Or just dial in some values for EDC, etc.

Any values would help too - im using a Gigabyte X570 Ultra, 32gb 3600C16, 360mm AIO, 5950x..

thanks for any advice

Associate
hi there, I recently brought a 5950x and had some questions about PBO. I have some quick messing around with it and found that with PBO enabled the chip does boost better - im seeing around +10% in multicore R20 score.

Does PBO shorten the life-span of the chip (like by increasing voltages etc. - on its own)? The chip does get a little hotter - staying around 80c (on a 360mm AIO) but doesnt seem out-of-control. I know heat can shorten the life of a CPU.

I have tried doing a -15 to the curve but it appears to crash randomly. I guess I could try lower, but I start to wonder if its worth it.

So would it be the best idea to just enable PBO and leave it at that? or not even enable PBO at all. Or just dial in some values for EDC, etc.

Any values would help too - im using a Gigabyte X570 Ultra, 32gb 3600C16, 360mm AIO, 5950x..

thanks for any advice
Somebody who knows what they are talking about may be along soon, but based on my experience (sample size of 1) you can't just set a low offset on the curve and forget about it with the 5950x. Or at least if you do, then you can't go very low.

My approach was to leave the PBO values at stock and then use the corecycler script (https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler/releases) to set individual per-core undervolts. On my chip the stable values ranged from -8 to -27, so a stable "all core" curve could be no lower than -8; but by going through the process to tune for the individual cores many can be set much lower. Takes a long time to do (lots of cores!), but does seem to have a good effect on temperatures (and single thread boost clocks).

I found the video posted here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ow-to-configure-pbo-curve-optimizer.18920081/ helpful. It also goes into tuning the PBO values.

Associate
I purchased a 5900x to replace my 1700x from 5 years ago, put into my 5 year old crosshair 6 as well, and just a install and ram speed set and it's just over twice as fast in cinebench and flight sim at 3840x1600 test airport went from about 20-25fps t0 55-65 fps. That's without any config or tuning and a old install of windows. All I can say is wow this is amazing

Caporegime
I purchased a 5900x to replace my 1700x from 5 years ago, put into my 5 year old crosshair 6 as well, and just a install and ram speed set and it's just over twice as fast in cinebench and flight sim at 3840x1600 test airport went from about 20-25fps t0 55-65 fps. That's without any config or tuning and a old install of windows. All I can say is wow this is amazing
Yeah that's pretty cool. Hope AM5 or whatever they call it has the same lifespan.

Associate

They're great chips for those of us who wanted a last upgrade on AM4 and what an upgrade it is, not surprised you're very happy and I'm happy for you :)

In terms of tweaks, I'm done with this now and I get best temps and performance at the following settings:

All cores at -30 using Curve Optimiser, power settings are PPT 175, TDC 110, and EDC 155. That's the best combo for me, tons of performance and good temps, 75C all core load on Cinebench R23 @ 4500Mhz. That'll do.

Soldato
After having great success with my 5700X I decided to try PBO on with my 5950X ( which I've had for about 18 months) I did try messing with this CPU when I first got it and didn't get anywhere so just left PBO on and didn't go any further.

I set all core curve to - 5 and got random restarts while running the core cycler script. I messed with all the cores individually and found that some would fail even with zero offset. I set everything back to stock and ran the core cycler again and it still failed on core 0 every time. I've had to increase my core voltage by 0.075v to get it stable. I suspect my CPU has always been a bit of a lemon but any stability testing I've been doing up until now has been all core so lower clock speeds. For now I'm back with auto PBO settings :(

Soldato
Had an issue while playing No Mans Sky VR the other day when my 5900x CPU temp got up to 84 degrees!
The fans were going nineteen to the dozen too.
I thought maybe my CPU cooler had failed, then I noticed that MSI Afterburner had forgotten my undervolt settings for my 3090!
It was dumping huge amounts of heat into the case and massively increasing the CPU temp.
I restored the undervolt and also applied a slight 0.05 undervolt to the CPU and now it's running around 72 degrees while VR gaming, and as a plus side the PC is almost silent.

Associate
Yeah ive been looking up prices, I wonder if its a stock issue or if they are just trying to get the most out of them before Zen 4 launches

Update: the price has gone down here to 399.99 from earlier this morning, maybe it was just a website error...phew

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom