• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
I have an Aorus b500i + Ryzen 5900X. I have the latest stable BIOS installed and completely reset the CMOS.

PBO is off, all limits are at stock. In Ryzen master I see that PPT 142W, TDC 95A, EDC140A.

While running Cinebench R23 all-core I see temps going no more than 75C, while Ryzen master tells me PPT, TDC, and EDC are all at 100%.

With this I only get 4050 to 4100MHz - which seems to be a lot lower than the 4400-4500MHz I see in reviews on stock settings. Sure, I can increase power/current limits, or undervolt, but first I want to make sure nothing's wrong.

Even with single core, I only get up to 4600MHz, whereas reviews seem to say 4900MHz should be achieveable at stock, especially as on single-threaded load my CPU is at 70C.

Could there be some default setting on my mobo that's holding back normal stock settings?

I have 3200MHz CL16 memory, but I don't think that should reduce boost?

Associate
Further to my last post, I have since discovered something called "Power Reporting Deviation": https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...er-reporting-deviation-metric-in-hwinfo.6456/

Apparently, if anything, BIOS manufactuers under report to bump performance, however in my case it's at 113% under full load (all-core Cinebench), which I assume accounts for my lower "stock" boosts. If I understand correctly, this means the CPU thinks it's hit 100% of the PPT, and so tails off the boosting freq.

If that's the case, then it seems my processor is not inefficient, and it's fine to just bump the limits manually?

This is a "2" stepping, by the way.

Associate
Was thinking of leaving it to August, just before the 7000 series launch. Yes I know the 7000 series is likely to be awesome but at this moment in time its simply not worth it to do a full system upgrade. Considering the 5900X but only the B2 stepping because of the cooler temps...

Soldato
Was thinking of leaving it to August, just before the 7000 series launch. Yes I know the 7000 series is likely to be awesome but at this moment in time its simply not worth it to do a full system upgrade. Considering the 5900X but only the B2 stepping because of the cooler temps...
Didn't the B2 turn up a while ago? I think before the price drop right?

Associate
I wonder what the chance is now of getting a B2 stepping from OCUK for the 5900X

Bought mine a good few months ago. B2 stepping and never goes above 80 degrees (spikes) sits at around 64 in games. Very good chip and haven't even undervolted or anything. Just plugged in and go. Hits 4950 on most cores

Soldato
Yeah I'm tempted. I don't like the look of 5800x3d. Hot, and won't meant much more at 1440p over this.

I just want something I can hope improve my lows on.

Associate
Soldato
Hi all I am still troubleshooting but I wanted to cross off one potential problem. my b450 tomahawk max won’t post after flashing the bios to the latest version.

I was flashing the bios in preparation to install the 5900x but the 3600x is still installed. I remembered that there was some chatter that if you flashed the bios to support the 5000 series you would lose support for all previous generations. Is this true? Or should my MB still boot with the 3600x installed.

Soldato
I finally got it to post (I didn’t reset the cmos properly) but now the boot drive is locked so I working through that.

Edit: now sorted after booting it up with the windows img usb plugged in

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the PC setup with the 5900x and seems to be running fine. I'm very pleased with the boost to render times in blender compared to my 3600. Image below .

I have found that it will all core boost to 4.4GHZ in Blender but in Cinebench R23 it only boosts to 4.1GHz all cores (data from Ryzen Master). Does this behaviour sound right to anyone else?

Currently using a Cryorig R1 ultimate that I bought when I first built my PC 8 years ago :eek:, I could only install the middle fan as the RAM gets in the way of the fan at the front but it seems to be keeping the temperature under control. (Side note the AM4 mounting mechanism is awful.) It hasn't passed 75C in render tests, though the poor fan is pegged at 100%.
I will keep an eye out for any good deals on the Arctic liquid freezer II 280mm.

3600 on top, 5900x on the bottom
Compare.jpg

Associate
I've got the PC setup with the 5900x and seems to be running fine. I'm very pleased with the boost to render times in blender compared to my 3600. Image below .

I have found that it will all core boost to 4.4GHZ in Blender but in Cinebench R23 it only boosts to 4.1GHz all cores (data from Ryzen Master). Does this behaviour sound right to anyone else?

Currently using a Cryorig R1 ultimate that I bought when I first built my PC 8 years ago :eek:, I could only install the middle fan as the RAM gets in the way of the fan at the front but it seems to be keeping the temperature under control. (Side note the AM4 mounting mechanism is awful.) It hasn't passed 75C in render tests, though the poor fan is pegged at 100%.
I will keep an eye out for any good deals on the Arctic liquid freezer II 280mm.

3600 on top, 5900x on the bottom
Compare.jpg

Mine hits around that in R20, from reading I think enabling PBO and undervolting will help get higher boosts but to be honest I have no need. It's my daily driver and does everything I want it to and is as solid as a rock. No interest in chasing cinebench scores etc

Back
Top Bottom