****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
I managed to change DNS server on my Vodaphone 5g Gigacube, and web browsing is so much smoother!

What did you change it to? I've not really had that many issues with Three, which is surprising given the reports from other users.

On a side note, the ping seems to have dropped down to ~14ms recently, but my connection stats aren't that much different.

Caporegime
My ISP or tower must be chock a block now cos i can very rarely achieve over 300Mbps. Night or day.
I hope they push out some more to balance the load but i doubt it will be soon.

Its half of what i was getting at the start a few months ago. #Sadface. Shame i cant pay half the price for it too.

Soldato
My ISP or tower must be chock a block now cos i can very rarely achieve over 300Mbps. Night or day.
I hope they push out some more to balance the load but i doubt it will be soon.

Its half of what i was getting at the start a few months ago. #Sadface. Shame i cant pay half the price for it too.

It something I have had to prepare for as more 5G devices join the network, be that handsets or home broadband. If it gets bad, too fast, then I'll swap to an FTTP fibre connection as soon as it is available, but for now it seems steady. I know that they need to remove some of the Huawei 5G kit used in the local mast/cell station which I am connecting to, so I hope it doesn't get downgraded too much in the process. :)

Soldato
Just an update on some upcoming 5G NR Routers, I spoke with Billion who were prompt in helping. They have a BiPAC 5500A. They put me in touch with a UK distributor but they are looking at Q4 realistically. And D-Link have not responded at all to my question about the DWR-978 and any anticipated stock. And I see Zyxel have the NR5101 but unsure on the bands it supports. I guess still more waiting to be done. Chip shortages probably isn't helping things I guess.

Soldato
So, today out of the blue, my 4G+ connection with Three (which is my main internet connection, unlimited data plan via phone hot spot) has just gone to 5G!

I should be pleased but its only about 14mths later than what Three told me it would be when selling me the phone on a two year contract (Samsung A90 5G) back in Dec 2019.

TBH, I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known it would go live so much later than what I was told it would do, and the only reason I didn't kick up a big fuss over it was because the 4G+ connection on the new phone was still a lot faster than my old 4G only phone, so I still had a nice speed increase from 40-50Mbps to 70-90Mbps :) but obviously well short of the 5G speeds I was sold.:(

Just did a speed tests on the new 5G signal and was getting between 160-200Mbps.

Upload speeds are still lousy though, sub 20Mbps...which is disappointing, to say the least.

Soldato
How much are the data plans a month?

It depends on what route you take, and with which network provider. As I wanted properly unlimited (e.g. no FUP) and have a good coverage I went with a standard Three UK SIM only deal, obviously you can use it in a phone but it works just the same in a 5G/4G modem/router. After cashback incentives, it costs me ~£4 per month, I think the best you can find it now is about £10pm, maybe a little bit less.

Best thing to do if you are moving to it as a main connection, find out by testing the various networks in your home, preferably using the same device in the same locations at the same time of day, same day of the week etc. Getting a PAYG/SIM Only 30 day is a good starting point just to complete the testing with, if you don't have access to all the main network SIMs already, using nPerf for speed and stability testing is recommend above Ookla speedtest, and checking the CellID on Cellmapper.net will help you resolve which mast your are connecting to and what the available connection and bandwidth are like on that mast, how far away it is etc.

4G/5G is a great deal more involved to get setup than fixed line, but done properly, and with the correct kit setup right can give you some exceptional results.

Soldato
It depends on what route you take, and with which network provider. As I wanted properly unlimited (e.g. no FUP) and have a good coverage I went with a standard Three UK SIM only deal, obviously you can use it in a phone but it works just the same in a 5G/4G modem/router. After cashback incentives, it costs me ~£4 per month, I think the best you can find it now is about £10pm, maybe a little bit less.

Best thing to do if you are moving to it as a main connection, find out by testing the various networks in your home, preferably using the same device in the same locations at the same time of day, same day of the week etc. Getting a PAYG/SIM Only 30 day is a good starting point just to complete the testing with, if you don't have access to all the main network SIMs already, using nPerf for speed and stability testing is recommend above Ookla speedtest, and checking the CellID on Cellmapper.net will help you resolve which mast your are connecting to and what the available connection and bandwidth are like on that mast, how far away it is etc.

4G/5G is a great deal more involved to get setup than fixed line, but done properly, and with the correct kit setup right can give you some exceptional results.
Thanks for the details, I'll take a look at some point

Soldato
I don't suppose anyone has had any experience with TCL / Alcatel kit have they? Seen a European distributor selling the TCL Linkhub 5G Router. Seems like the bands would work on EE here in the UK (missing one or two of the 4G bands but has the main one, band 7, and the main 5G band, n78). So I think it'll work. Obviously would need a permeant EU > UK adapter fitted for a few quid. I've emailed them asking to confirm returns just in case of any issues. Might take a punt! Snapdragon X55 chip, WiFi6 (not that I need that), and x2 TS-9 connectors so I can use my external aerial. One reason why I haven't bought the Huawei CPE Pro 2 as it has no facility for this.

Caporegime
Just tried the dirty "external" test and results are:

Inside:
104.24 down 3.09 up 17ms
104.06 down 3.75 up 17ms

Outside:
207.88 down 9.68 up 13ms
207.58 down 8.81 up 14ms

And a final one back inside:
106.71 down 2.92 up 23ms

That's with just the router placed on the windowsill outside.

The Poynting XPOL-1 V2 5G looks to be recommended, omnidirectional one - I only have one mast which I know the location of so probably would be better of with the the directional but that version is twice the price.

What's the best router to use with an aerial like that?

Associate
Is Three 5G a good / my best option?

I received a flyer the other day to say Three 5G is now in your area. Deal is £5.00 off for each of the 12 and 24 month options, £29 and £24 respectively. Checked the coverage and i look ok for coverage.
Very tempted in placing an order this week.

1dekvYR.png
Currently on standard broadband at 7-11Mbps (7 at best). There is no fibre planned where i live :(
I guess 5G will spank my current speeds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is Three 5G a good / my best option?

Well you have 14 days to send it back if it isn't.

If you take the contract take the 12 month one, as you get to keep the modem/router at the end, and getting a SIM only unlimited plan will be cheaper after that. Also check Quidco/TopCashBack as they have some offers that may make it even cheaper again.

Back
Top Bottom