• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

V F

V F

Soldato
Bit bummed the 12700 box is just a cardboard whack affair and the 12900 gets a box with a display wafer!

Reading through the thread... If it makes you feel better, there was nothing fancy at all in the i9 10900K box. Considering it was flagship.

Soldato
I'm happy to wait for the BIOS update, currently set my RAM speeds manually. It's at 3200MHz so in-line with the CPU's native controller support and working great have to say. Once the next BIOS release is out, if I've not changed the RAM to lower CAS modules by then anyway as I may well go 64GB), I'll switch back to 3600MHz :cool:

That GPU bracket looks cool, I also noticed that on this case there are side mounting slots for a GPU so I could get one of those vertical mounting extensions for PCIE cards and do that if the sag really ends up being a bother but as it stands (or sags lol), it's not enough to be bugged by it really and nothing gets in the way of anything else so I'll probs leave as is.

Shame the AIO tubes are the same length though, would have expected longer for sure given the longer rad.

Seems to be an issue with DDR4 RAM at XMP, also in the tweets seems they are looking into it.

Soldato
Has anyone got hold of any ddr5 and tried clocking it? Even standard timings up to 5200mhz+?

I'll be pushing my (temporary) 16GB Crucial 4800Mhz kit as far as it can go, with high volts, when I get my motherboard! Micron, so doubt it'll do much, you never know.

Looking to order a nice 6400Mhz+ kit once they're readily available.

Associate
I'll be pushing my (temporary) 16GB Crucial 4800Mhz kit as far as it can go, with high volts, when I get my motherboard! Micron, so doubt it'll do much, you never know.

Looking to order a nice 6400Mhz+ kit once they're readily available.
Will you be posting benchmarks? I’m keen to see how Alderlake is performing since there’s so much change going on right now in the PC space.

Soldato
Will you be posting benchmarks? I’m keen to see how Alderlake is performing since there’s so much change going on right now in the PC space.

If new benchmark threads are started and properly maintained, I'll post some for sure. Else, I'll stick to other forums that are less hostile towards Intel.

For stock performance, any of the 12900K reviews will show all you the performance. TLDR - fastest gaming CPU, most energy efficient CPU at games, and highest single thread performance in general. Also does very well in multi-thread applications, drawing and sometimes beating the 5950X, a more expensive CPU. Uses much more power than AMD at MT workloads though.

Associate
Asus and Msi ddr4 boards will do DR bdie between 4000 and 4200 on Gear 1. Gigabyte is lol as usual.

Official Benches with tuned dr bdie soon. But I can say now it’ll wipe the floor with any current micron kit tuned for gaming.

Caporegime
Asus and Msi ddr4 boards will do DR bdie between 4000 and 4200 on Gear 1. Gigabyte is lol as usual.

Official Benches with tuned dr bdie soon. But I can say now it’ll wipe the floor with any current micron kit tuned for gaming.

This is what I've been waiting for, thought it may take a few bios revisions though (Asus Z690-A Strix D4 here).

Associate
New stuff:

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K

Asus Z690 Prime -A

Kingston Fury 32GB 4800 DDR5

NVMe -Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB PCI Gen 4

NZXT Kraken Z73 AIO

Existing :

1TB Samsung SATA 870 QVO

Asus Strix Nvidia RTX White 2080 Super

Corsair Gold 850 Mod PS

Corsair 500D White

Soldato

smr

smr

Soldato
Given the price of DDR5 I've decided to go for DDR4, and then later next year may be upgrade to DDR5 when the real world performance / price ratio gains make it sensible.

Back
Top Bottom