• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Guys has anyone else noticed this. I've locked all cores out to 5g, 1.300v. AVX offset to 0. Normal work loads and cinebench all cores sit at their expected 5g, soon as I run prime95 or occt seems AVX related some cores drop to 4.9 and keep switching between 5g and 4.9, temps are low enough. What's going on?

Soldato
Just built a system using the MSI Tomahawk and a 12600k, got a weird issue where during POST and in the BIOS I only get video output via the onboard GPU. Once it boots to Windows then video output via a 1070 GPU works fine.

Not seeing any obvious setting in the BIOS, any one got any ideas?

Associate
Soldato
I think there's too much concern about NOT getting DDR5 with Alder Lake just now. Sure it would be nice to move to the newer standard, but the performance is still there with DDR4 and there's savings to be made.
Most importantly, you can actually buy it. :D

Really hoping we see some B660 boards soon.

Also savings to be made with electricity. Mentioning this as many on this forum are very frugal when it comes to the energy efficieny of their systems.

DDR5 runs at lower voltage than DDR4, runs cooler and of course uses less electricity. So, with current energy costs and the rises planed next year, you'll save money each day by using DDR5!

For those wanting the most energy efficient gaming CPU, as well as the world's fastest gaming CPU, the 12th gen CPU's also tick both boxes:

q6rKhKc.png

Source: https://wccftech.com/review/intel-c...-wifi-g-skill-trident-z5-ddr5-6000-memory/15/

Last edited:
Soldato
How much wattage does your RAM typically use @Dave2150 ?
Actually intrigued on this, are you just being an arsy ****, or do you seriously believe that ram power usage when all mobo have different VRM efficiency actually matter?
Troll or not?

Soldato
How much wattage does your RAM typically use @Dave2150 ?
Actually intrigued on this, are you just being an arsy ****, or do you seriously believe that ram power usage when all mobo have different VRM efficiency actually matter?
Troll or not?

He's heading same way as Sarge2255.

AQNqVju.jpg

DDR5 vs DDR4.

uwIHhae.png

This is at JEDEC standard speeds. When OC memory is used the Voltages and power use goes out of the window. Just look at DDR4 highspeed memory they use 1.4v to 1.5v same will happen to DDR5 voltages will go up on OC memory and power use, also RAM uses very little power wattage wise compared to a cpu or gpu. Typical OC memory is in the low 15-20watts range .. Now he forgets to add that 12900k can use over 150w stock compared to a 5950x in many workloads and not a cherry picked example he used there (that saves a wopping 6 watts compared to a 5900x and 14 watts compared to a 5950x, difference between adding a slow speed 120mm fan or not :cry::rolleyes:)... Anyways will not feed him.. I saw the post he made and started laughing, he has run out of ideas how to sell Intel CPUS so now RAM... geeze really.

Last edited:
Caporegime
LMAO at DDR5 energy savings. Would be a couple of quid difference max over DDR4 for the year. I’m sure the extra few hundred quid upfront is worth it though :cry:

You don’t have to defend being an early adopter of DDR5. If you’re happy to pay it that’s fine, it’s just not worth it for most gamers who calculate cost/performance.

Associate
12700k and kf are the stars of the show, there is nothing in it apart from £210 more for a 1-3% real world difference between the 12900k and 12700k. It depends if you want to save the money and maybe buy a better motherboard and better ram for example. Also cooling is a lot easier on the 12700k and kf. Watch the reviews on it. If it's a gaming rig only then the 12700k or kf is a no brainer even as a work pc really.

I think the 12700k maybe the best option, but the star, as always, is the i9. It's like a VW Golf maybe the best option but a Lamborghini is the star of the VAG.

Soldato
I think the 12700k maybe the best option, but the star, as always, is the i9. It's like a VW Golf maybe the best option but a Lamborghini is the star of the VAG.

It won best most well rounded CPU for 2021 the 12700K/KF. Seems Steve agrees with me. The i9 sadly is running too hot and power hungry for not much difference in performance in real world and gaming, it runs 150w more the i9 for some workloads compared even to a 5950x, check some reviews and you will see what I mean. The 12900K won best gaming CPU but he states only because it shows the highest performance for gaming currently, but reality is hardly anything in it compared to a 12700K.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad I went DDR4, DDR5 is the future but performance ain't there and prices are stupid currently.
DDR5 Memory Performance Scaling with Alder Lake Core i9-12900K

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ddr5-memory-performance-scaling/

The funny part even tested with highspeed DDR5 the uplift is in margins of error.. and in most cases DDR4 basic kits beats even the expensive highspeed DDR5. This Z690 platform or the 12 series cpus are either not really ready for DDR5 or DDR5 is a waste of time and money and soon to be replaced with DDR6, will have to wait and see how DDR5 behaves on AMD AM5 platforms and CPUs before ruling out DDR5. Alder lake should have just been DDR4 and PCIE 4.0, the RAM and PCIE spec added to this platform is a total waste and made the whole platform too expensive for no real world gains.

Even dual 3090s can't saturate PCIE 4.0 (From my own system that is running 2 x 3090s at 8x 8x PCIE 4.0), then PCIE 5.0 M.2 are not even available and again real world will make zero difference as is PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSDs so far and a PCIE 3.0 ssd is more than fast enough for most people, even a SATA SSD is fast enough for games to load as has be proven compared to M.2 as the loading speed has nothing to do with the drive speed and makes no real world difference for most games.. I really don't get this platform the more I look at it and it has only 1 PCIE 16x PCIE 5.0 ( can be split to 8x 8x on expensive motherboards only) not even a full PCIE 5.0 motherboards for all slots and M.2's. It really is a half baked platform that didn't need all this extra stuff added yet and added in a poor way.

Soldato
The 6200 modules should have been the base spec Ddr5 by the look of things. I’ve grabbed some real cheap rubbish micron chipped 4800 kits to get by and wait for the 6200+ kits to be a decent price, but if they don’t turn up in 2 weeks I’ll grab a MSI board/4400 ram as not really losing any perf.

Soldato
The 6200 modules should have been the base spec Ddr5 by the look of things. I’ve grabbed some real cheap rubbish micron chipped 4800 kits to get by and wait for the 6200+ kits to be a decent price, but if they don’t turn up in 2 weeks I’ll grab a MSI board/4400 ram as not really losing any perf.

I'll upgrade to faster ram next year still to connect my drives but early indictions its all good temps idle in the 20,s stock so far so good connect more drives the marra knackered...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
12700K looks like it's shaping up to the the best all rounder CPU that has ever hit the market now surely. The all round performance is flagship level, the price is low enough for people to consider it over a 12600K and its efficiency is also excellent. What is there not to like at this point?!

I think between 12600K and 12700K, every single usage case scenario is covered really.

Soldato
12700K looks like it's shaping up to the the best all rounder CPU that has ever hit the market now surely. The all round performance is flagship level, the price is low enough for people to consider it over a 12600K and its efficiency is also excellent. What is there not to like at this point?!

I think between 12600K and 12700K, every single usage case scenario is covered really.

Agree it does seem to offer the best VFM in that range. The 12900k does seem a little expensive for the differences it makes. I suppose it depends on many factors but the 12700k sits nicely, for me anyway.

The board you have got still seems to be causing issues for some.....

not sure how Gigabyte mess it up again, it was the same with my Z390 Master motherboard. Took them ages to get a working XMP profile, but at least manual timings and speed would work for me.

Back
Top Bottom