• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Yeah, because the offset is a fixed value and does not dynamically change so it is less at a lower CPU load and at its greatest at a full load. One fixed offset is not good for all the CPU's range of speeds. Still testing that one. Curious tho as this BIOS supports both adaptive+offset.

Even when I was using the S3 sleep options I could have a 5.1Ghz OC stable in Cinebench and games, along with OCCT, and yet with the same offset voltage that was fine for those it would reset the PC when it was woken up from Sleep.

Associate
Not even got my build up properly due to work and the rog z690 a messing up my watercooling dreams dam those heat sinks.

Previously had 2x 360mm x 54mm rads in my lan li dynamic xl but the new board heat sink catchs on rad fan so had to loose that 360 in the top.

New build 360mm x 54mm bottom 360mm x 26mm in side 280mm x 54mm top.

Have had to loose some hardline and change to soft in the upper because bends just way too complex and tight.

Good news my 12900k is a sp82

Soldato
This is why alder lake is hot

https://www.igorslab.de/en/bad-cool...cket-lga-1700-on-the-lane-among-all-remedies/

The IHS on alder lake is very curved and the LGA1700 socket is also curved, plus many boards don't produce enough clamping pressure

With some quick modifications to the socket and motherboard you can get 10c lower temps on a Noctua cooler however you may be able to get even lower temps if you also have a CPU cooler with a block that is better designed for alder lake (a better cpu cooler will not fix the motherboard problem, you will still need to modify the motherboard to achieve the 10c temperature drop)

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why alder lake is hot

https://www.igorslab.de/en/bad-cool...cket-lga-1700-on-the-lane-among-all-remedies/

The IHS on alder lake is very curved and the LGA1700 socket is also curved, plus many boards don't produce enough clamping pressure

With some quick modifications to the socket and motherboard you can get 10c lower temps on a Noctua cooler however you may be able to get even lower temps if you also have a CPU cooler with a block that is better designed for alder lake (a better cpu cooler will not fix the motherboard problem, you will still need to modify the motherboard to achieve the 10c temperature drop)

Nothing scientific but I did remove the block from my Arctic Freezer II AIO due to using very cheap and old paste at the time of fitting - typically I could not find my decent paste.
My MX-5 arrived and so the block was removed to apply that.
I was pleased to see a thin and VERY even layer of paste distributed over the entire CPU as well as the plate on the block. I remember checking it for evenness and it was perfect on both.
Not thinking about any potential issues other than my pea sized blob in the middle might not have fully spread out, and done so evenly.
But it was fine.

That is with the AF II and a 1700 mounting kit on a MSI 690 Pro.

I don't see the AL to be any hotter than what my 9900k was capable of being - perhaps more relevant if running full core loads with AVX type needs. Otherwise it seems just typical of what I would expect, so far.
Then again the 9900k can certainly be toasty, more so at 5.1Ghz all core overclock. That's why I got the 420mm AIO, altho not needed as much in many games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How much for the DDR5?? Name your price!!!!

image.png

Soldato
How much for the DDR5?? Name your price!!!!

Lol, you can just about do that on eBay. I've got two sets of the 32GB 6000MHz (F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK) stuff sat here, only need one set right now as every other build has dumped DDR5 and moved to DDR4 due to lead times. I'll let you have the spare set for your first born and a spare kidney. :D :p

Soldato
Lol, you can just about do that on eBay. I've got two sets of the 32GB 6000MHz (F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK) stuff sat here, only need one set right now as every other build has dumped DDR5 and moved to DDR4 due to lead times. I'll let you have the spare set for your first born and a spare kidney. :D :p

Sounds like pub talk lol

Back
Top Bottom